• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm A Jets Fan Who's Hated Every QB We've Had Since Namath; Ask Me Anything

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Not surprising that there’s not much response to this question? 

Given that Trubisky would cost half of what Darnold does, and no draft picks to acquire, I would much rather take the chance on him. Winston would be a better bet as well. If all were available at same price he might be my first choice out of the 3. 

I gotta be honest, they both probably have more "upside" than Darnold, as well. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Not surprising that there’s not much response to this question? 

Given that Trubisky would cost half of what Darnold does, and no draft picks to acquire, I would much rather take the chance on him. Winston would be a better bet as well. If all were available at same price he might be my first choice out of the 3. 

Winston doesn't have "upside".  He is like Teddy.  He is what he is. 

Darnold's situation being so comically bad and being only 23 is what gives him legit upside. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

He's a great story, an icon for the league and obviously the Jets.

It's depressing that all these years later, he's still the face of the franchise.  The Suzy Kolbert thing didn't help, either.

Here's a nice, personal story about for you about Namath.

Of course Namath went to Bama.  Coached by Bear Bryant there.

I was going to Auburn at the time that Bear Bryant broke the then-record for career wins for a college coach at the top division level (what was then called Division 1-A).  The game where he broke that record?  The Iron Bowl against Auburn in 1981.

I am no athlete, but I was a pretty decent musician, so I made sure to join the Auburn Marching Band when I went to college.  Free football and free trips sounded fun to me.  So I was on the sideline preparing for the half-time show at that Iron Bowl in 1981.  A *huge* number of former Bama players that played for Bear Bryant were on the sideline for that game in order to be there for the Bear's record-breaking win (it was a closer game than they anticipated, Bama was highly ranked and Auburn was unranked and the final score was 28-17). 

Each and every one of those players on the sideline purposely ignored us Auburn folk... except for one.

Joe Willie Namath.

He was talking to a couple of reporters on the sideline and he saw a few of us Auburn band members looking at him and talking to each other (we were saying things like, "Yeah, that's Joe Namath alright") and he excused himself from the media by saying "Excuse me for a moment, I have to go over here and talk to some of my Auburn friends."

And so he did. 

INCREDIBLY nice man.

Oh, and in addition to that, even though I was and am an Auburn guy, back in the 1960's I got this incredible gift from Santa Claus:

Namath-Box.jpg

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

And have a coach whose idea of offensive success goes beyond gaining 3.34 yards on the ground every down.

I remember thinking Rivera might have finally turned the corner that year.

Then the Super Bowl, and the seasons that followed, and the return of Marty...

That season feels like a lifetime ago.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Darnold's situation being so comically bad and being only 23 is what gives him legit upside. 

No. That’s perceived, or imagined upside. It’s hard to make a case that he has ever played like an average NFL at any point in his career. If you think a new staff can change Darnold’s decision- making, accuracy, and internal clock, then two QBs who have shown a lot more upside should get the same consideration.  Factor in the extra cost of picks and that option, if they actually do exercise it,  and what is the advantage of investing in Darnold over a QB like Trubisky who would have had almost zero risk. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

20 hours ago, The Goddamn Jets said:

Was at the 2013 Game.  Fun Stadium, Fun City.  Good people.  Went home with a loss.

Title says it all.  Happy to offer thoughts on your new QB.

Whats the current deal with the fireman fellow? 

Please dish out some rumors on Sam Darnold that never got told to the public. If none make up a few. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I gotta be honest, they both probably have more "upside" than Darnold, as well. 

I agree. Winston should have been the choice last year, and if he sucked, sign Trubisky and see if you can get a QB at 8. That would have been 3.5M  total for two years instead of 37M(+5M more dead cap next year) plus 4.7M for Darnold this year. 

So 3.5M for Winston(2020) and Trubisky(2021) against 46.7M for Teddy and Darnold. Anyone think 43M more cap space would have helped? Plus the very real possibility that the Panthers will have another 19M of guaranteed salary tied to a QB on top of this. Getting around 65M for upside and prayers. 

• Beer 4

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I agree. Winston should have been the choice last year, and if he sucked, sign Trubisky and see if you can get a QB at 8. That would have been 3.5M  total for two years instead of 37M(+5M more dead cap next year) plus 4.7M for Darnold this year. 

So 3.5M for Winston(2020) and Trubisky(2021) against 46.7M for Teddy and Darnold. Anyone think 43M more cap space would have helped? Plus the very real possibility that the Panthers will have another 19M of guaranteed salary tied to a QB on top of this. Getting around 65M for upside and prayers. 

The staff really needs to hope they are right on Darnold. If he is....still Sam Darnold, I think they are gonna start getting some heat next offseason for these bad QB positions. 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean.....look at the best if Winston and the best of Darnold. What makes Winston be "what he is" and not Darnold?

• Beer 2

On 4/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, NYPantherFan said:

Going from a QB who checks the ball down for 3 yards whenever he panicked to a few YOLO balls us going to be a welcomed sight around here.

This x47. F a game manager. I want a producer lol. Teddy threw the exact amount of picks as Sam last year. How you keep a job as a game manager that won't be a star, but won't throw picks. And then proceed to throw picks?

This doesn't even talk about fumbles. Teddy Two gloves hands ain't strong enough. 

I miss the days we had a QB that would dunk on people in the end zone too.

Sigh

30 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

This x47. F a game manager. I want a producer lol. Teddy threw the exact amount of picks as Sam last year. How you keep a job as a game manager that won't be a star, but won't throw picks. And then proceed to throw picks?

This doesn't even talk about fumbles. Teddy Two gloves hands ain't strong enough. 

I miss the days we had a QB that would dunk on people in the end zone too.

Sigh

I miss the days when we had a QB who could get anyone to the end zone...when it mattered

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1