• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm A Jets Fan Who's Hated Every QB We've Had Since Namath; Ask Me Anything

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I was just alluding to the fact that the bust number they assigned factors in a lot....and a lot of why his number was what it was....wasn't an evaluation of his actual QB play.  

QB with only 2 years total positional experience + Top 5 selection was part of their math.    So he gets a high bust rate.   On that alone.  No matter how he plays and looks.   Because I can't name a single top 5 QB drafted in recent decades that compares. 

Agreed.  But, the decision to weight his lack of experience is not accidental or without merit.  College starts do hold some weight in correlation to success in the pros.  This was a big concern with Sanchez.  His QBASE was disastrously low, and we traded up for him because we're dumb.  And, no surprise, he was awful.  Two things happen with more college starts: 1) Sample size improves for evaluation, and 2) QBs learn and gain more experience in live action against hopefully higher competition than they got in HS.

As for sample sizes, if Darnold has another year in college that looks like his junior year, not his sophomore, you think he's still a top QB?  He was smart to come out when he did - pure business decision.  I truly believe his camp is very smart, and maximizing his earnings to the best of their ability before he ultimately flames out.

Edited by The Goddamn Jets
  • Beer 2

11 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I remember not understanding Darnold's stock leading up to the draft, and Kiper saying that and just being blown away with how stupid it seemed.

Let's not forget his takes on Clausen and various other prospects. It's pretty easy to pull out portions of the data and show Kiper to be stupid but I kind of doubt the actual scouting community views him as much more informed than any other media bobblehead with little to no background in actual scouting.

That said, I wouldn't hold the Kiper KOD too much against Darnold. There were quite a few sources questioning that decision. It isn't like he wasn't a polarizing prospect.

• Pie 1

On 4/6/2021 at 10:29 PM, The Goddamn Jets said:

Was at the 2013 Game.  Fun Stadium, Fun City.  Good people.  Went home with a loss.

Title says it all.  Happy to offer thoughts on your new QB.

I want to kiss you

Edited by Panthero

On 4/7/2021 at 8:13 AM, The Goddamn Jets said:

Depends on what you mean by fixed.

Statistically he's been the worst QB in the NFL over the past three seasons, and when controlling for throws that were not under pressure, he's second worst only to Trubisky.

So, I certainly don't believe he's fixable to the expectation of the #3 overall pick, and the hype that surrounded him.

He may be fixable to your investment, but I don't think Darnold will ever be a QB where you, as a fanbase, feel settled at the position.  There are just too many issues.  The decision making, the reading of defenses, the downfield accuracy, bailing on the pocket too soon, footwork, throwing off his back foot, etc.

Greenberg loves Jets QBs.  He loved Pennington, and he loved Sanchez.  He's more fan than analyst.  And, so he's essentially of the "It's all Gase's fault" mindset.

As for the trade down, I think this is a different argument.  I'm not sold on the Morman Backstreet Boy, so, I could have been compelled to trade down.  I get the argument that you keep Darnold for another year, and continue to build the team.  Sources said we would not have picked up his option.  But, I wouldn't have been opposed to doing both.  Trade out of 2 AND trade Darnold.  Bring in an Alex Smith type player, and address QB next year.  That having been said, I'd prefer Wilson only because I've been burned by the "wait till next year" when we drafted Adams over Watson/Mahommes, because Darnold and Rosen will be available next year.

This will always be looked at as Darnold vs. Wilson, but I don't think that's right.  The only way the Jets made a mistake is if Darnold becomes a top 10 QB, and I just don't see that.  There's a good chance Wilson sucks, but Wilson sucking is an independent scouting issue than realizing you're not winning with Darnold.

This is something that stands out to me as well. Makes me think Carolina would be better drafting a playmaker to add next to Moore, Anderson, and CMC instead of Sewell since he's not much better when not under pressure than he is against it. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 11:29 PM, The Goddamn Jets said:

Was at the 2013 Game.  Fun Stadium, Fun City.  Good people.  Went home with a loss.

Title says it all.  Happy to offer thoughts on your new QB.

It’s going to turn out by year’s end ,that many of the things you said Sam couldn’t do will turn out to be false.  

Reminder to the remaining Darnold haters.  Quarterbacks get use their weapons.  That is a thing! Ask Aaron Jones about Rodgers 

• Pie 1