• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer talks about Gase (and Tannehill; oh, and Darnold)

Mr. Scot

I'm also not sure we can use the Browns as a guide for success.  They have been rebuilding for 25 years, and finally had 1 good season (where they didn't even win the division or make it to the AFCCG btw).  They could easily regress next season, and Baker finally looked good in year 3 when the team was stacked and he had good coaching.

• Pie 2

50 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And you can guarantee an MVP caliber quarterback at our pick?  This despite that long list of first round busts you gave earlier in the thread.

Riiiight 😄

And I'm guessing you weren't around for that Delhomme guy. You know, the castoff who led us to our first Super Bowl? Or was that before your time?

Oy 🙄

I can't definitively say whether Darnold is going to be great or not. Neither do you nor anybody else know whether any of the first round quarterbacks taken this year will. 

The one thing I do know is you have such consistently awful takes on this board that your advocating something basically serves as a de facto argument against it.

Nope but that’s why you keep trying, the same way we gave up Clausen for Cam which was the best decision this franchise ever made, the decision your were against.

You and me have different definition of led, Cam led us to a SB, Jake was part of a good team.

Oh no there’s film evidence out there, Darnold is a bad QB, none of the QB in this year draft have 3 seasons worth of horrible tape out there, matter of fact Darnold led the nation in turnovers his last season at USC so he had 4 years of horrible film lmao.

One things certain your jumping through hoops trying to push a false narrative that I debunked in my first reply.

10 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Nope but that’s why you keep trying, the same way we gave up Clausen for Cam which was the best decision this franchise ever made, the decision your were against.

You and me have different definition of led, Cam led us to a SB, Jake was part of a good team.

Oh no there’s film evidence out there, Darnold is a bad QB, none of the QB in this year draft have 3 seasons worth of horrible tape out there, matter of fact Darnold led the nation in turnovers his last season at USC so he had 4 years of horrible film lmao.

One things certain your jumping through hoops trying to push a false narrative that I debunked in my first reply.

Yet somehow there are numerous analysts saying they believe Darnold can revolve his career here.

Also, quick tip: the least effective way to convince anyone that you're smart, you're winning, you're cool, etc  is to tell them that you are.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

In his latest mailbag (link)

From Danny (@BetTheOver85): How likely/unlikely is it that Sam Darnold becomes Ryan Tannehill 2.0 and rejuvenates his career?

Danny, I think Carolina’s got a shot to resurrect Darnold’s career. Getting a left tackle to bookend with Taylor Moton, and maybe that’s Sewell at No. 8, would help. But from there, he’s got Robbie Anderson and D.J. Moore to throw to, and Christian McCaffrey alongside him, and that should at least give offensive coordinator Joe Brady a foundation to build off of.

I believe your comp is pretty apt, too. One thing Tannehill needed coming out of Miami was a coach who’d get him playing fast again, and Arthur Smith was that guy—lifting the mental load off the 2012 first-round pick (giving, for example, line calls to the center) in an effort to just let him play. To me, Darnold needs the exact same sort of thing going to Charlotte, and I think Brady’s astute enough to know it and give it to him.

The truth is that Darnold too often over the last couple of years was asked to operate like Peyton Manning once did in Adam Gase’s offense. And that was as a quarterback who arrived in the pros as a raw prospect in need of development, which, to me, explains how his wiring got fouled up. As such, to get him right, I think Brady would do well to let him go out and be more of a bus driver type and build from there.

In this case, I really believe asking less of a player—and that should be even easier to do if McCaffrey’s back at 100% in the fall—will mean getting more out of him.

This makes a lot of sense.

The one quarterback that Gase had any real success with was Peyton Manning, but Manning didn't really need a coach at that point in his career. For all intents and purposes, he was a coach.

So if what Gase did with Tannehill and Darnold was basically ask them to operate the same way Manning did, it explains a lot.

Heck, a lot of veteran quarterbacks couldn't even do that.

Robby Anderson said this on a podcast a week ago about Gase and brought up him “coaching” Manning...

I posted the entire podcast in another thread and it’s a good listen but this is specifically on Gase in this mini clip. He actually talks about the Jets and their lack of culture for about 10 mins

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Robby Anderson said this on a podcast a week ago about Gase while talking about Manning...

I posted the entire podcast in another thread and it’s a good listen but this is specifically on Gase in this mini clip. He actually talks about the Jets and their lack of culture for about 10 mins

Good quote.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

wrong

Actually the Jon Gruden approach is signing castoff QBs, Gruden has only drafted 3 QBs ever and all have been after the third round.

try again though

Also since drafting Baker in 2018 the browns have had a better record then us and way better offense then us. So don’t be throwing stones living in glass houses

The Browns have their franchise guy, we are out here with Teddy and Sam

The Browns roster literally shits on ours.

26 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

The same Cam Newton that never put up back-to-back winning seasons?

He was good, but he wasn't great. He had an excellent defence in 2015 (and a pretty decent offence). 

28 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Dont forget the 15 defense generated 39 turnovers. Cam didnt carry them. It was an entire team effort. 

19 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Dont forget the 15 defense generated 39 turnovers. Cam didnt carry them. It was an entire team effort. 

defense was great but Cam had one of the best seasons by a qb in nfl history in 2015. He without a doubt carried the team to the Super Bowl. What I mean by that is that 15 squad had no business being as dominant as they were. Our defense was really good with turnovers. The offense was basically nobodies and old Stewart. How many times did that defense let teams come back into games before Cam sealed the deal?  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-mvp-statistics-history/amp

go through the picture stats in this article. They are mind boggling. 

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

That’s how the nfl works nowadays, Darnold sucks so now the jets are moving on. 3 seasons is more than enough.

This isn’t your granddaddy’s  nfl

The question wasn't every three years, it was every year since you had stated a rookie no longer needs two years since they were making the transition easier these days.