• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rappoport: Multiple teams interested in trading for Teddy Bridgewater

TheSpecialJuan

Would be very surprised if Teddy Bridgewater is not in Denver by draft weekend. Continue to hear buzz about it and I know the Broncos are quite interested. It fits Fangio's model perfectly and the new GM was a part of the Vikings brass that drafted Teddy B

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2021-heres-an-insiders-look-at-how-the-top-10-picks-could-play-out-with-the-patriots-moving-up/

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Hopefully we a pick for him.  Realistically a 5th or 6th.  A 7th is a slap in  the face, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Edited by 45catfan

Denver may be trying to wait to pull the trigger on any trade to after the Draft. They could also be waiting- like perhaps a few others for Carolina to cut him. It is obvious he's not wanted back so why would anyone offer up anything for him under his current deal, when they could sign him for near League Min. (Especially with the Panthers still paying out his guaranteed money).

On 4/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, Mr. Scot said:

...one of the biggest criteria to me is his willingness to butt out and let the football people he hired do their jobs.

Based on Person's story about the Darnold process, it sounds like he's doing that.

So these "football people"...

...what does the org chart look like?

4 minutes ago, KBRed said:

If they are wise they will hold out until one of these teams offers up something. In no way should he be cut. Too many teams could use him, mainly because of the QB demand this offseason. 

The demand has largely been for starters but not highly paid backup QB's.

There is a reason we had no success attempting to trade him, nor has he had success trying to get traded.

On 4/10/2021 at 2:08 AM, kungfoodude said:

I can understand the delusional homerism, after all we all display it from time to time. It is part of being a fan.

But, we are historically one of the NFL's worst franchises. No amount of head in sand is going to change that. Eventually we have to start actually consistently winning to change that narrative. 

Just to put things into perspective, The Lions have won 1 playoff game since 1958, before 2 years ago the Bills had not been in the playoffs this century.  Are we the best run franchise, no.  Are we the worst, far from it.

• Flames 1

I would take a 4th for Teddy and have the trade partner to throw in a player to help make the contract look better .  We eat part of Teddy's contract , but they eat some the player's contract we take .  With this we get a player of need such as CB . DT, or G .  This would provide more depth .

7 minutes ago, catnip said:

I would take a 4th for Teddy and have the trade partner to throw in a player to help make the contract look better .  We eat part of Teddy's contract , but they eat some the player's contract we take .  With this we get a player of need such as CB . DT, or G .  This would provide more depth .

This is not how the salary cap works.  You can't just "eat" a player's salary.  This isn't the MLB.

• Beer 1

No team wants Teddy with that awful contract no matter how many homer Panthers fans around here tell themselves it isn't that bad. We swooped in and outbid ourselves with a deal Bridgewater couldn't sign fast enough. Very shades of 2010. He will be cut and we will eat a chunk of salary cap we could have used beefing up the offensive line.

We're not going to cut Teddy. The cap hit is huge. Either he reworks his contract so he can be traded or he's kept. At least we'll have a good back up for this season. 

They'll rework the contract that Teddy gets his $10 mil guaranteed and a chance to play somewhere else in a trade. Should happen before the draft but I can see right after if a team misses out on a QB picking him up.

If they hold onto him and a team has a preseason injury, I can a trade happening then as well. 

4 hours ago, musicman said:

We're not going to cut Teddy. The cap hit is huge. Either he reworks his contract so he can be traded or he's kept. At least we'll have a good back up for this season. 

They'll rework the contract that Teddy gets his $10 mil guaranteed and a chance to play somewhere else in a trade. Should happen before the draft but I can see right after if a team misses out on a QB picking him up.

If they hold onto him and a team has a preseason injury, I can a trade happening then as well. 

I think you have a decent chance of being wrong about him being cut.

• Beer 2

I think he gets cut too, BUT look at this -   https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers/

Look below the dead cap and saving column. Change it to post june trade....

You see the difference in dead space is 20 and 5 million? Of course panthers will have to eat some salary, but thats why they want to trade him.

Cap saving if cut= 3 million.

Cap saving if traded 18 million.  

(number would change some for a new contract)

Thats why I mention to @SizzleBuzz things could get messy, cause we're talking about huge differences in a tight year. Still think he gets cut, but you see why they want to trade him. May have to add a draft pick like 4th+Teddy for Denvers' 7th to get the dead/saving benefits. Post June for sure.