• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ex-NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 and himself

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Sounds like a Chris Benoit situation. Much will be said about CTE but more should be said about the victims. How many former athletes who have suffered CTE manage to not commit murder? Seems like the brain injuries in these kinds of instances only further contribute to something that's already off.

I agree. Aaron Hernandez was a criminal in college. Football is a pretty violent sport and there’s going to be some bad people that just happen to be very athletic and strong. Maybe it does contribute some but acting like the NFL is full of only really nice people that only do bad stuff due to CTE is pretty naive. It goes to our society trying to find things to blame. Gronk plays with less finesse than Hernandez and he wasn’t shooting people in college and killing multiple people like a gangster in the NFL.

• Pie 1
20 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I still say the way to save the sport is to make it more like rugby. I think counterintuitively, rather than trying to make making the equipment better and "safer," we should just do away with it. If you get rid of the shoulder pads and helmets, I believe the game will get safer naturally. Without the pads, players will be less inclined to use their body like a weapon.

Then just go watch rugby dude. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I agree. Aaron Hernandez was a criminal in college. Football is a pretty violent sport and there’s going to be some bad people that just happen to be very athletic and strong. Maybe it does contribute some but acting like the NFL is full of only really nice people that only do bad stuff due to CTE is pretty naive. It goes to our society trying to find things to blame. Gronk plays with less finesse than Hernandez and he wasn’t shooting people in college and killing multiple people like a gangster in the NFL.

One of Hernandez's Patriot teammates (I forget who) said he made a casual joke at Hernandez once - like football players do to rookies - and Hernandez reacted angrily and violently.

From that point on he was wary of him.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Jesus Christ. I wasn't trashing the link of CTE to violence nor the link of football to CTE.

I am making a simple statement that we have almost zero facts here, so maybe wild speculation on the cause or anything else is kind of pointless.

It's a tragedy. Anything other than a head shake or general basic human sympathy is probably more than necessary. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

I’m tired of CTE being used as the excuse when a former NFL player go and kill someone. Luke Kuechly has endured multiple concussions in his short career. Let me know when Luke goes out and do something something like this. Then I’ll believe that CTE is the problem. 

just because you are intellectually not able to make the link between brain injury and aberrant behavior.... and you cannot stand that injuries that result of playing "your" sport are being held responsible for this behavior.... doesn't mean that the link does not exist. We'll see whether CTE is the potential culprit in this case.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

The kids are absolutely victims, the rest could go either way. It's sickening but not surprising anymore. The Dr had a great public image but who knows anymore in this world. Very sad and all you can do is send T&P and wait for facts and answers. 

We had a case like this on the coast recently and it disappeared from the media once it was determined the father was drinking with the killer the night before and the police wouldn't release the motive making it sound drug retaliation related which would make the father guilty as well. Who knows, still no motive that I have seen which is very weird this long after the incident.

It's a tragedy but other than the kids being victims there is nothing really known at this time. 

• Poo 1
32 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I still say the way to save the sport is to make it more like rugby. I think counterintuitively, rather than trying to make making the equipment better and "safer," we should just do away with it. If you get rid of the shoulder pads and helmets, I believe the game will get safer naturally. Without the pads, players will be less inclined to use their body like a weapon.

It's like the movie "Contact" when she takes her seat belt off.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of Hernandez's Patriot teammates (I forget who) said she made a casual joke at Hernandez once - like football players do to rookies - and Hernandez reacted angrily and violently.

From that point on he was wary of him.

Wes Welker.  Welker also went around warning new players about him that came in. 

• Beer 1
12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The kids are absolutely victims, the rest could go either way. It's sickening but not surprising anymore. The Dr had a great public image but who knows anymore in this world. Very sad and all you can do is send T&P and wait for facts and answers. 

We had a case like this on the coast recently and it disappeared from the media once it was determined the father was drinking with the killer the night before and the police wouldn't release the motive making it sound drug retaliation related which would make the father guilty as well. Who knows, still no motive that I have seen which is very weird this long after the incident.

It's a tragedy but other than the kids being victims there is nothing really known at this time. 

Blaming the victim??? Plus there was a spouse and a maintenance worker there too. They could also be innocent victims.  Just what actions do you think the doctor could have done that would justifying killing him and his family? I just cannot come up with a thing.

Don't see it justified in your other example either.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
6 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Blaming the victim??? Plus there was a spouse and a maintenance worker there too. They could also be innocent victims.  Just what actions do you think the doctor could have done that would justifying killing him and his family? I just cannot come up with a thing.

He is just giving an example of how foolish it is to speculate with absolutely zero information.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1
2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

He is only the victim if he didn't contribute to the situation. Chill out. The facts are few and you are jumping to conclusion he is a victim. As I said, the only guaranteed victims are the kids so far. Nothing I stated takes away or presumes innocent or guilt out side of the pure innocents of the children. 

There is no fugging justification because there are so few facts. My example was to show that it can get really complicated. 

It sounds like you are reacting to your emotional response and not accepting that neither you or I know who is a real victim yet outside of the kids for sure. 

• Poo 1