• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

I hope if Fields is there, we take him.  And we might, if he is there.  For that matter, I feel the same way about Lance.  

I also think that the staff believes he wont be there at 8.  From what I have read, he won't even be there at four.  And that is why they went with the Darnold trade.  

I think Lance has the highest bust rate of any qb in this draft but also the highest ceiling so if they passed id somewhat understand even if I didn’t like it. If they passed on fields that is a huge red flag for me organizationally. 

I understand why they went with Darnold. It’s just the compounding nature of everything starting from last offseason to this one. 

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

I wasn't old enough but does anyone remember how Brett Favre's career started?

I know he was with the Falcons before going to Green Bay.

His first pass went for a pick 6 like Darnold. He was then traded after his rookie season to GB due too off fields issues or the Atl coach didn’t want to play him. Something like that.

4 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I'm not just naming names. I answered his challenge posed in the post.

The original post was What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?.

I named 9 guys who won SB's after being discarded by their original teams, Five of whom (Unitas, Dawson, Young, Favre, and Warner) are in the Hall of Fame. Plunkett won't make the Hall, but he was 2-0 in Super Bowl games. Drew Brees is a lock to make the HoF  and is in fact the 10th guy to win a SB with his 2nd team. I don't see how I overlooked him in the first place.

Ron Jarworski and Rich Gannon took their teams to SB births during their MVP seasons.

Sonny Jurgenson was the all-time passer when he retired.

A question was posed on the board and I named at least 15 guys who would qualify.

I wouldn't have made the Darnold deal, but I am hoping to see if he can have a rebound in Carolina... and it's not like this deal with set us back for years if he bombs.

How are guys drafted in the 9th round considered bust?

Out of all the guys you named the only guy that was called a bust was Young and maybe Plunkett. 

51 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

His first pass went for a pick 6 like Darnold. He was then traded after his rookie season to GB due too off fields issues or the Atl coach didn’t want to play him. Something like that.

He was considered uncoachable and was already addicted to pills. 

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

Jerry Glanville.  

He was the Falcons coach at the time, and didn't like Favre at all.  Got rid of him as soon as he could.  One of the worst moves of all time.  I think Favre did have some issues related to being late for practice and being kind of a partier, but he seem to get it together.   

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Jerry Glanville.  

He was the Falcons coach at the time, and didn't like Favre at all.  Got rid of him as soon as he could.  One of the worst moves of all time.  I think Favre did have some issues related to being late for practice and being kind of a partier, but he seem to get it together.   

A little easier to party in Atlanta than Green Bay. 

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think you and I might be close to the same age.  🙂  I still remember the over the hill gang.  

I may do you one better.  Maybe.  I remember Sonny Jurgeson and Charley Taylor running the two minute hurry up drill like no one has done since.  They ran it to perfection.  If you followed the Skins at that time, you know what I mean.  It was beautiful.

• Pie 1
16 hours ago, OldhamA said:

It pains me when people talk bad about Herndon (who'd walk into our TE room and be the man tomorrow) and Berrios (who'd happily fit into our WR corps as a slot guy). 

You’re a Miami apologist, but still Clay and Hartline in year 3 for Tannehill were better than both. That’s what I said. No one in the NFL is saying Darnold may not have had a Julio but man, Berrios and Herndon are top guys.

Berrios wouldn’t have played for us last year and wouldn’t play for us this year. He’s a backup. Herndon is basically a slightly better Thomas. That’s not saying much at all. He’s still a bottom tier starting TE. Dan Arnold is as good as Herndon.

• Poo 1
1 minute ago, stbugs said:

You’re a Miami apologist, but still Clay and Hartline in year 3 for Tannehill were better than both. That’s what I said. No one in the NFL is saying Darnold may not have had a Julio but man, Berrios and Herndon are top guys.

Berrios wouldn’t have played for us last year and wouldn’t play for us this year. He’s a backup. Herndon is basically a slightly better Thomas. That’s not saying much at all. He’s still a bottom tier starting TE. Dan Arnold is as good as Herndon.

Please back up your claim about me being a 'Miami apologist' with evidence.

As for Herndon being a slightly better Thomas, gtfo. Thomas is absolute doggers. 

Y'all know about Google, right?

Atlanta Falcons (1991)

Favre was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the second round with the 33rd overall pick in the 1991 NFL Draft.[15] On July 19, 1991, Favre agreed to a three-year, US$1.4 million contract with a reported signing bonus of $350,000.[16] Atlanta head coach Jerry Glanville did not approve of the drafting of Favre, saying it would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into the game.[17] Favre's first pass in an NFL regular season game resulted in an interception returned for a touchdown in a game against the Washington Redskins.[18][19] He only attempted four passes in his career at Atlanta, was intercepted twice, and completed none of them. Favre took one other snap, which resulted in a sack for an eleven-yard loss.[20]

Green Bay Packers (1992–2007)

On February 11, 1992, Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf traded a first round pick (19th overall, which would be used for running back Tony Smith) to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for Favre. Wolf, while an assistant to the general manager of the New York Jets, had intended to take Favre in the 1991 NFL Draft, but Favre was taken by the Falcons on the previous pick.[17][19]

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and other sources, during the physical after the trade, Favre was diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the hip, the same degenerative condition that ended running back Bo Jackson's football career, and doctors recommended his physical be failed, which would nullify the trade. Wolf overruled them.[19][21]

Favre played 16 seasons in Green Bay. During his time with the Packers, Favre was the first and only NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards.[22] He helped the Packers appear in two Super Bowls, winning Super Bowl XXXI and losing Super Bowl XXXII. Favre started every Packers game from September 20, 1992 to January 20, 2008,[23] a streak of 253 games. The record would continue after he left the Packers, reaching 297 games in the regular season. This remains the all-time record for consecutive starts in the NFL.[24]

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Please back up your claim about me being a 'Miami apologist' with evidence.

As for Herndon being a slightly better Thomas, gtfo. Thomas is absolute doggers. 

You’re a UM super fan. Apologist wasn’t the right word but I don’t care since you poo’d me although I really don’t care. Name one other person on here who’s ever brought up Berrios and Herndon in any discussion as above average or even average NFL players. I don’t even recall more than a casual mention in the draft threads because they were in fact available to draft.

I mean let’s be real, does anyone else in here consider Berrios and Herndon to be anything other than easily replaceable pieces on a team devoid of skilled position talent?

And yes, Herndon is a slightly better Thomas. Arnold is a slightly better Thomas, maybe a meh talent that produced a little bit and Arnold has virtually the same stats as Herndon in a couple less games. He’s a JAG that is easily replaced. 

Edited by stbugs
3 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

I may do you one better.  Maybe.  I remember Sonny Jurgeson and Charley Taylor running the two minute hurry up drill like no one has done since.  They ran it to perfection.  If you followed the Skins at that time, you know what I mean.  It was beautiful.

That is a little before my time.  I started following Washington in the mid to late 70's, a couple of years after they went to the Super Bowl with George Allen.

• Pie 1