• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?

bobowilson

For those that are saying the odds are stacked against him, you are correct.  But then the odds are stacked against just about anyone we could conceivably get.  IMO, that would be true even if we had lost to the WFT, and we had the fourth pick in the draft.   Anything we might do is a crapshoot.  

Which is why I still hope that we pick a qb in the draft.  Better to have two new qb's than one.  Better chance that one of them might work out.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

That last line sums it up.

I mentioned Kilmer in one of my post. He's far from an all-time great, but I don't think he ever had a losing season while he was with the Redskins...oops...WTF...and He had them in the playoff hunt year in and year out. His HC, George Allen, NEVER coached a losing team in the NFL. The Redskins were no joke back in the 70's.

You have to be "old school" like me to remember Billy Kilmer 😄...and I don't even remember him as the Redskin starter. When I really got into the NFL he was being phased out in favor of Joe Theisman 

I think you and I might be close to the same age.  🙂  I still remember the over the hill gang.  

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

For those that are saying the odds are stacked against him, you are correct.  But then the odds are stacked against just about anyone we could conceivably get.  IMO, that would be true even if we had lost to the WFT, and we had the fourth pick in the draft.   Anything we might do is a crapshoot.  

There are different layers to it. Darnold’s turnover issues were apparent at USC and continued in the pros. Both fields and Lance at WORST have the same talent level as Sam the college prospect but it’s apparent they know how to protect the football. Fields is far and away more talented then Sam has ever been at any point. So if we passed on fields because of Sam I’d be pretty disappointed. It is a crapshoot overall but there are different degrees of it. Which can be debated. 

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

There are different layers to it. Darnold’s turnover issues were apparent at USC and continued in the pros. Both fields and Lance at WORST have the same talent level as Sam the college prospect but it’s apparent they know how to protect the football. Fields is far and away more talented then Sam has ever been at any point. So if we passed on fields because of Sam I’d be pretty disappointed. It is a crapshoot overall but there are different degrees of it. Which can be debated. 

I hope if Fields is there, we take him.  And we might, if he is there.  For that matter, I feel the same way about Lance.  

I also think that the staff believes he wont be there at 8.  From what I have read, he won't even be there at four.  And that is why they went with the Darnold trade.  

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

I hope if Fields is there, we take him.  And we might, if he is there.  For that matter, I feel the same way about Lance.  

I also think that the staff believes he wont be there at 8.  From what I have read, he won't even be there at four.  And that is why they went with the Darnold trade.  

I think Lance has the highest bust rate of any qb in this draft but also the highest ceiling so if they passed id somewhat understand even if I didn’t like it. If they passed on fields that is a huge red flag for me organizationally. 

I understand why they went with Darnold. It’s just the compounding nature of everything starting from last offseason to this one. 

4 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I'm not just naming names. I answered his challenge posed in the post.

The original post was What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?.

I named 9 guys who won SB's after being discarded by their original teams, Five of whom (Unitas, Dawson, Young, Favre, and Warner) are in the Hall of Fame. Plunkett won't make the Hall, but he was 2-0 in Super Bowl games. Drew Brees is a lock to make the HoF  and is in fact the 10th guy to win a SB with his 2nd team. I don't see how I overlooked him in the first place.

Ron Jarworski and Rich Gannon took their teams to SB births during their MVP seasons.

Sonny Jurgenson was the all-time passer when he retired.

A question was posed on the board and I named at least 15 guys who would qualify.

I wouldn't have made the Darnold deal, but I am hoping to see if he can have a rebound in Carolina... and it's not like this deal with set us back for years if he bombs.

How are guys drafted in the 9th round considered bust?

Out of all the guys you named the only guy that was called a bust was Young and maybe Plunkett. 

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

His first pass went for a pick 6 like Darnold. He was then traded after his rookie season to GB due too off fields issues or the Atl coach didn’t want to play him. Something like that.

Jerry Glanville.  

He was the Falcons coach at the time, and didn't like Favre at all.  Got rid of him as soon as he could.  One of the worst moves of all time.  I think Favre did have some issues related to being late for practice and being kind of a partier, but he seem to get it together.   

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Jerry Glanville.  

He was the Falcons coach at the time, and didn't like Favre at all.  Got rid of him as soon as he could.  One of the worst moves of all time.  I think Favre did have some issues related to being late for practice and being kind of a partier, but he seem to get it together.   

A little easier to party in Atlanta than Green Bay. 

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think you and I might be close to the same age.  🙂  I still remember the over the hill gang.  

I may do you one better.  Maybe.  I remember Sonny Jurgeson and Charley Taylor running the two minute hurry up drill like no one has done since.  They ran it to perfection.  If you followed the Skins at that time, you know what I mean.  It was beautiful.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

You’re a Miami apologist, but still Clay and Hartline in year 3 for Tannehill were better than both. That’s what I said. No one in the NFL is saying Darnold may not have had a Julio but man, Berrios and Herndon are top guys.

Berrios wouldn’t have played for us last year and wouldn’t play for us this year. He’s a backup. Herndon is basically a slightly better Thomas. That’s not saying much at all. He’s still a bottom tier starting TE. Dan Arnold is as good as Herndon.

Please back up your claim about me being a 'Miami apologist' with evidence.

As for Herndon being a slightly better Thomas, gtfo. Thomas is absolute doggers.