• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jets had an earlier offer on the table

NAS

Apparently, an offer for Darnold came about a week before free agency. Apparently, there were multiple teams interested.

The Panthers were first in touch about Darnold in mid-February, after an offer of the eighth overall pick, a fifth-rounder and Teddy Bridgewater for Stafford fell short of what the Lions wound up getting from the Rams for their quarterback. And thereafter, because of strong relationships Douglas had with the Carolina brass, trust and communication between the teams kept the light for a Darnold trade on.”

“The first thing you need to know about how the Jets arrived at the decision they did is that, in a normal year, they might’ve pulled the trigger a lot sooner than April 5. In fact, about a week before free agency, Douglas had a deal on the table that was good enough to move on. At that point, the first flash point for the Darnold market—the late January trade that sent Matthew Stafford from Detroit to L.A.—had generated interest from eight teams (Carolina was among the eight), and one had emerged with an offer that was at least in the ballpark of what the Jets were looking for.

The problem was, at that point, the Jets just weren’t there yet on the crew of quarterbacks who’d be available to them at No. 2. Sure, they’d done a lot of work by then. But in a normal year, at that early March juncture, they’d have already seen the guys throw at the combine and maybe a private workout or all-star game, interviewed them in person in Indy and collected all of their medical information.And those, in 2021, were boxes still unchecked.”

“It was a strong offer,” Douglas says. “We told them, Look, there’s still a lot of boxes left to check. And we just don’t feel comfortable, in case something happens with one of the top two guys, we don’t want to get caught in a bad situation, like one of two guys fails a physical and then we don’t have Sam. So we didn’t do anything.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/08/inside-story-of-why-jets-traded-darnold-new-qb-search

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 2

12 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

But I thought we were the only ones interested and we were bidding against ourselves and everyone is just stupid? This report is just too obvious and believable to be true. 

No, we weren't. That was just misinformation! Our FO isn't full of low-key desperate bumblers as some may think. There always seems to be a method to the madness. I just hope they're calculating correctly, while fully acknowledging that they could be coming up with the wrong answer at QB. Even with all the calculations, I'd say it's time for a little luck. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

According to our gurus, Fit was in his office, on the phone with the Jets trying to make a deal for Darnold while Rhule was in his office, also on the phone with the Jets bidding against Fit, while Tepper was yelling "get the Jets on the phone, I will not be outbid."

Lol 

What in our franchise history has some of this fanbase based their cockiness on? I mean, what am I missing? Where does this confidence come from?

Looking at our history from an outsider's point of view, it looks to me like we stumbled back assward into a handful of good years while largely sucking.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What in our franchise history has some of this fanbase based their cockiness on? I mean, what am I missing? Where does this confidence come from?

Looking at our history from an outsider's point of view, it looks to me like we stumbled back assward into a handful of good years while largely sucking.

New owner/GM/coach has me hopeful, maybe not confident yet...

• Pie 4

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's much more fun than being a wet blanket.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure I see a lot of cockiness or even confidence.  But when the security staff led Hurney out the door with his stuff, some hope did develop.

The problem we have now is we have people who react to things as if Hurney was still running things.  The fact is we have no decision-makers from that era of relative futility.  Let's allow this group to establish its own level of competence or futility before we saddle them with "more of the same."

As for franchises stumbling into a few winning seasons despite themselves, that could honestly describe at least 20 NFL teams.  The only ones I see that could not make that same case are the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Saints, and maybe the Rams, Chiefs, and Seahawks.  The rest fall between hopeful they have turned a finally corner (Bills, Dolphins) to mired in mediocrity to bumbling.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't say I'm feeling cocky, and Lord knows I'm as historical as anyone.

But it's valid to note that history can really only tell you so much when you have a coach in just his second year and a GM in his first.

• Flames 2