• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen A Smith loves Sam Darnold

Zod

The thing that gets me about Darnold is his inexperience.

The guy really hasn't been playing quarterback all that long. He was only a part-time starter in high school.

It's one of the reasons I say to treat him like a rookie, but there's an advantage there. A big part of most rookie transitions is learning the speed of the game. Darnold doesn't have to do that.

If he can be properly coached up, there's real potential there .

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, saX man said:

DJ Moore still not getting the respect he deserves in these takes.

You may laugh, but if we land Sewell/Slater at 8 and add a guard mid-rounds, we will have a good line.  Paradis being the weak link.  They were what low-teens/high-twenties ranked last season?

LT: Slater(or)Sewell

LG: Daley/Draft/Elf/Erving

😄 Paradis

RG: Miller/Draft

RT: Moton

I could see a double dip (much like last year on D-line) on O-line.

Image OT Penei Sewell/Rashawn Slater in the 1st round and G/C Creed Humphrey/Wyatt Davis in the 2nd round 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

DJ with weak QB play the past 2 seasons, is the only player in the NFL to post consecutive 1100+ yard seasons. 

Those two seasons are coming off his rookie year where he lead all NFL WRs in yards after contact.  

Teddy's play was arguably more a weakness for Robby's strengths than Moore's. DJ is beginning to look like a receiver who has hit his ceiling. Robby had his best year (and in fact was 7th in the entire league for YAC last season).

• Beer 1

One thing I remember about Moore's first season is the insane amount of times he took handoffs on gadget plays rather than catching passes. That struck me as a concern.

Wasn't as big a deal in his second season, though there were a lot of questions about his chemistry with Bridgewater.

At this point, I still feel pretty positive about Moore, but there are some questions in the back of my head.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Herbert said:

He lost me at having an offensive line.

You have to remember the Jets oline for several years has been competing for 32 in the NFL. (Panthers are 18/19 to reference).

I’m known to hate on our oline since Kalil retired but the Jets oline garbage play on on another level and world than the Panthers. I know...shocking.

Also - Darnold holds the record as the youngest QB ever to start...or not start...in the modern NFL (50/60 years or whatever).

I know SA is a talking head but I enjoy some of his takes.

Never a fan of Darnold but there is a small percent of home that thinks just maybe he does have something. It’s not as big as the percent that doesn’t see him in a SB ever but...it’s still there. There is a lot of valid points other than just him that led to his demise.

We shall see.

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Did he seriously accuse us of having an offensive line?  I mean . . . I guess if you exclude LT from your offensive line we might have made it up to "average" last year.  Who needs a LT anyway.

Well good thing we’re in a prime position to draft a stud at LT at 8.

44 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Teddy's play was arguably more a weakness for Robby's strengths than Moore's. DJ is beginning to look like a receiver who has hit his ceiling. Robby had his best year (and in fact was 7th in the entire league for YAC last season).

DJ Moore still had more yards than Robbie (in Robbie's career best season) despite Robbie having more targets.  He averaged almost 7 more yards per touch than Robbie too.  

I don't get how DJ posting back to back 1100+ seasons with bad QB play is "hitting or showing his ceiling".   Seems to me that would be him more establishing what his floor is.  Any offense.  Bad QB play.  He can still do X at a minimum.  

Robbie Anderson's best career season came in year 5.  And that was only better than DJ's rookie season.    And that is because DJ is a better and more diverse player overall.   And frankly, even when you listen to Anderson talk about DJ....he alludes to DJ being the dude here too. 

If DJ showboated, talked trash and got angry like 89 and all the play was the same....the talk about him would be totally different IMO.     

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I could see a double dip (much like last year on D-line) on O-line.

Image OT Penei Sewell/Rashawn Slater in the 1st round and G/C Creed Humphrey/Wyatt Davis in the 2nd round 

That's what I was thinking.  Let Creed get a season under his belt playing guard, give the Paradis the boot once he is expendable from a CAP situation, and shift Creed over to center.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Also - Darnold holds the record as the youngest QB ever to start...or not start...in the modern NFL (50/60 years or whatever).

I know SA is a talking head but I enjoy some of his takes.

Never a fan of Darnold but there is a small percent of home that thinks just maybe he does have something. It’s not as big as the percent that doesn’t see him in a SB ever but...it’s still there. There is a lot of valid points other than just him that led to his demise.

We shall see.

An open mind.  In Huddle land, you are an endangered species, sir.  I salute you!