• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen A Smith loves Sam Darnold

Zod

23 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stephen A hates Gase more than he likes Darnold...

FWIW, Adam gase legit might be one of the worst head coaches in modern nfl history.  If it werent for Hue Jackson, he would definitely hold the title for the last decade or so.

Edited by Carolina Cajun
  • Pie 1

"The kid can play," a former Jets offensive assistant coach told me this week. "He is an alpha with the ability to make all of the throws. ... He is a hard worker who earns the respect of his teammates and he isn't afraid of the stage. We probably put too much on his shoulders and he struggled with all of the responsibility at the line of scrimmage. When we scaled it back at the end of 2019, he flourished as a player and the offense took off. ... If we stayed with that approach last season, he would've played better."

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-gamble-on-sam-darnold-makes-sense-kyle-pitts-is-the-2021-nfl-draft-s-be

"If Darnold is put in an offense that is run-heavy with traditional play-action passes and bootlegs, he will have success," said the former Jets coach, who was on staff for multiple years with Darnold as the quarterback. "He can play, but he needs to be in an offense that matches his talent and ability. If Carolina plays to his strengths, he is good enough to win in this league."

2 hours ago, CRA said:

DJ Moore still had more yards than Robbie (in Robbie's career best season) despite Robbie having more targets.  He averaged almost 7 more yards per touch than Robbie too.  

I don't get how DJ posting back to back 1100+ seasons with bad QB play is "hitting or showing his ceiling".   Seems to me that would be him more establishing what his floor is.  Any offense.  Bad QB play.  He can still do X at a minimum.  

Robbie Anderson's best career season came in year 5.  And that was only better than DJ's rookie season.    And that is because DJ is a better and more diverse player overall.   And frankly, even when you listen to Anderson talk about DJ....he alludes to DJ being the dude here too. 

If DJ showboated, talked trash and got angry like 89 and all the play was the same....the talk about him would be totally different IMO.     

I don't have a crap about showboating. What I do give a crap about is route running, beating the press, making yourself a target, and catching the ball. Moore is not even as good of a route runner as Robby, much less 89. 

As for Robby in year five, he has never been the guy and wasn't really expected to be. He came into the league as a UDFA to arguably the worst and most dysfunctional franchise in the league. Moore has always been the presumptive X receiver, and has gotten those type of opportunities. As far as expectations and progression goes Robby has exceeded and continues to get better. Most are hoping that Moore will markedly grow as well. Even if he doesn't, maybe he will get paid like he has, but that doesn't mean he's heads and shoulders above Robby.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

If sewell falls to us we might have the best starting tackles in the NFL.... A man can dream...

Like I said in another thread If we were able to land Sewell at 8 and Jenkins in the 2nd..our line would potentially be a strength again. If Jenkins is gone, maybe even Trey Smith in the 3rd if his medicals drop his stock. 

LT:Sewell

LG: Jenkins or Smith

😄 Paradis (improved last season but now possibly has competition in Erving: All-ACC @ C in college, and Elfien: Rimington Award Winner @ C in college). I honestly think they were both brought in with the intentions of spot duty at guard in 2021 with one replacing Paradis in 2022.

RG: Miller/Daley/Elfien/Erving

LT: Moton

Draft is deep at offensive line. We could possibly walk away with 2 day one starters within the first three rounds. If it was ever a year to go all out on O-line, this is the time. 

Darnold is being put in an optimal position to succeed. Joe Brady (this project will also say alot about him)... a defense I expect to be suprising good..two receivers who had over 1000 yards last year.. David Moore in the slot.. and an elite rb. Not to mention Dan Arnold as underrated as he may be. Darnold just missing the protection and coaching. 

If he fails, at the very least we'd have the majority of the peices in play & cap space to go after whoever we think can get us back to double digit wins. 

• Pie 1