• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams looking to trade up for quarterbacks

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be reticent to trade down if we can land a day one starter at a position of high value or extreme need. I think that has to be a situation where the price makes that really, really worthwhile. I am not in favor of trading down for the sake of trading down.

Not just for the sake of it. But of there's trade down value there I'd probably take it. I'm of the mindset of heavily hedging that bet on Darnold.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

That's not smart unless you don't like Slater, TBH(and we very well may not have him rated highly). Getting too cute on trading down isn't wise. 

And I say that fully knowing how much we are lacking in overall roster talent. We don't need to try and get it all in one offseason. This rebuild will be a process. 

I think 8 is a little high for Slater and he will be available in the early teens.  I feel Slater and Darisaw are about equal in talent and 1 should be there if we are picking in the top 15

2 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

If you can't land a day one starter in the teens, then you ain't going to make it very far as an NFL exec. You should be nailing starter picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds almost every year. 

I don't necessarily agree with that. There are more variables that come into play than that. Strength of draft class, positional value, etc. 

I agree in THEORY you should be getting a starter with your first two round draft picks but the statistics also don't bear out that as the case. 

Hence the reason why I am skeptical of trading down. It SHOULDN'T be as hard to get a starter with the 8th pick of the draft. Results obviously vary historically, of course.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Darnold is only 23 years old.

As someone mentioned on Twitter, Sewell is only 20.

Just 20 years old...and since he sat out a year, those clips you're watching are of a 19 year old kid throwing people around.

We get this kid, I'm gonna be doing the Snoopy dance.

Sewell is probably the biggest no brainer pick of the draft. If he falls to us we would be stupid not to draft him. We would have one of the best OT combos in the league. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I think 8 is a little high for Slater and he will be available in the early teens.  I feel Slater and Darisaw are about equal in talent and 1 should be there if we are picking in the top 15

That your personal evaluation, though. Remains to be seen how we(and the league) value him. I understand the viewpoint if that is your personal rating of him. 

Slater is one of the more interesting top 10 picks because of his elite attributes but also his high level versatility. If he is capable of being a LT, he is obviously a top 10 caliber prospect, but if he ends up being a high level RT or IOL, that top 10 pick probably seems quite high. 

I love him as a prospect but I will admit that you probably have to be pretty convinced he is ultimately a LT to take him in the top 10. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, amcoolio said:

I would easily do Patriots 2021 2nd, Patriots 2022 2nd,  2022 4th to move back to the Patriots spot

Edit: if Pitts and Chase aren't there. at 15 we can still get an elite player because of all the QB's taken. one or more of Waddle, Devonta Smith, Slater, Surtain Jr., Vera-Tucker, Darrisaw will be there

You are giving away way too much draft worth. I would say to drop in the teens nothing less than a 1st next year and a 3rd the following. 

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

Sewell is probably the biggest no brainer pick of the draft. If he falls to us we would be stupid not to draft him. We would have one of the best OT combos in the league. 

I don't think he is exactly a "can't miss" prospect. I think he is an ULTRA high ceiling and relatively moderate floor guy. Hard to envision him not being a successful OL in the NFL, but does he develop into an elite LT? The attributes are bananas. 

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Seattle trading back is also a WAAAAAAAY different scenario than ours. Right now we have a chance to pick after only 7 players have been selected rather than in the bottom of the first where a good chunk of the top 2-3 players at their position have been taken. Moving from a bottom of the 1sr to top of the second spot isn't that big of a deal.

Of course its different, but we don't know what Fitts is thinking or gonna. Even trading back to the  middle teens is to far for us. Were gonna have to wait and see.