• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold is a STEAL

The Huddler

1 minute ago, Italianpantherfan said:

Binged watched like 20 of his highlights from 2018-2020 I think he might be something special with that being said we need Sewell, slater or  Kyle pitts. We basically got a first round pick for the price of a 2nd and 6th . Can’t believe he’s only 23 

If Pitts or Chase falls to us, it will be a very tough call. 

My only concern is we pass a QB that falls to us at 8 (hopefully we never draft this high again) because we are “all in” on Darnold. If none fall to us then it looks like a solid move. If one falls to us and we draft him anyway, I’ll still be ok with the move. It’s basically next year’s second which hopefully won’t be as high as it is this year. I’m ok with taking a low risk move on a QB that has potential, but I’m not ok with ignoring other options because he MIGHT be better than advertised.

• Pie 1

The one thing you cannot deny is the math.  Darnold is young (23).  The draft picks are not that problematic because the trade saved the Panthers the need to use the #8 overall pick on a QB with no more certainty for success than Darnold has.  The #8 pick is worth 1400 points--the others have an adjusted 2021 trade value of about 300 points. 

So we really did not LOSE draft stock by doing this--we gained it.  And once we get something for TB, it will be an even sweeter deal.  Now that does not guarantee SD will be good, but there are red flags about Fields, Lance, and Jones as well. 

Well played, Fitts.  And thank you, Pythagoras.

to math GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Pie 6

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The one thing you cannot deny is the math.  Darnold is young (23).  The draft picks are not that problematic because the trade saved the Panthers the need to use the #8 overall pick on a QB with no more certainty for success than Darnold has.  The #8 pick is worth 1400 points--the others have an adjusted 2021 trade value of about 300 points. 

So we really did not LOSE draft stock by doing this--we gained it.  And once we get something for TB, it will be an even sweeter deal.  Now that does not guarantee SD will be good, but there are red flags about Fields, Lance, and Jones as well. 

Well played, Fitts.  And thank you, Pythagoras.

to math GIF by Saturday Night Live

It makes sense except we have seen our QB in this league (terrible circumstances I know) and it was very below average. Can we turn it around with the right staff? Maybe... hopefully? We just shouldn’t be satisfied and assume he is the answer. If another guy we like a lot is available we shouldn’t ignore it because of our Sammy D Take Two Project.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It makes sense except we have seen our QB in this league (terrible circumstances I know) and it was very below average. Can we turn it around with the right staff? Maybe... hopefully? We just shouldn’t be satisfied and assume he is the answer. If another guy we like a lot is available we shouldn’t ignore it because of our Sammy D Take Two Project.

Agreed, but the risk was well worth the potential reward.  We have seen other players under Gase prosper elsewhere.  So there is something more than theory at work--we know Darnold will be better here than in NY--fairly fair statement.  How much better?   Not sure.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Agreed, but the risk was well worth the potential reward.  We have seen other players under Gase prosper elsewhere.  So there is something more than theory at work--we know Darnold will be better here than in NY--fairly fair statement.  How much better?   Not sure.

So if another high potential QB is there do you pass? Say something crazy happens and like Zach Wilson falls to 8. Do you go all in on Darnold and pass on him?

1 hour ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I listened.   Guy makes a good case but  IMO if you go in thinking this was absolutely a horrible trade you will come out to of this still convinced that it was absolutely horrible trade.  If you have strong, I mean very strong reservations about the trade (that’s me) but are willing to be open minded it gives you hope but you are still in a wait and see mode.   

that’s about  all I can say.  

A lot of the opinions in this thread are written in stone.

• Pie 1