• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold is a STEAL

The Huddler

16 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Career #'s are no better than what Teddy's was last year when he came to us. The problem with this whole thing is we are once again banking on a guy to become something he has never been. Just like we did with Teddy last year. Part of that problem is we are essentially getting a rookie Qb without the 4 year + option year contract which is actually really valuable.

This is my problem with this franchise and the decisions they made to put us into this position and I just can't ignore the fact we allow a former NFL MVP, proven franchise Qb to walk out of the door so we can constantly sign retreads and pray to the football Gods they transform into a player they have never been before and are pretty much no longer on a rookie deal. Instead of you know, giving the guy one season to see if HE can still be the player we needed him to be but yet here we are.  One year after the decision to move on from Cam and this is the position we find ourselves in, in the exact same position as last year with a new FA addition at Qb with no solid plan in place to get better at the position we are essentially throwing poo at the wall to see if it sticks. Yikes. What if we pass on a Qb at 8 and Darnold turns out to be TB 2.0? What a poo show this will turn out to be.

But anyways the past is the past best of luck to Darnold he legit has every opportunity to succeed here, just like TB did last year. Hopefully he can come in and be better than he has been in the NFL thus far but I won't be holding my breath.

Man, I was really buying in and you were making valid points until you had to bring the Cam crap up. It's almost guaranteed that he wanted an extension before stepping on the field again. He damn near said it in one of his twatters. No fool coach or GM would do that even the likes of our own.

Edited by Mr. Herbert
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Herbert said:

Man I was really buying in an you were making valid points until you had to bring the Cam crap up. It's almost guaranteed that he wanted an extension before stepping on the field again. He damn near said it in one of his twatters. No fool coach or GM would do that even the likes of our own.

No one really knows what transpired. Even if Cam was unhappy with his current contract situation and wanted an extension that doesn't mean he wouldn't have played on the last year of his contract. I don't see Cam ever holding out over a contract dispute so instead, they released him. Look at the Texans and how defiant they were about letting Watson leave even with a new regime coming in. Granted Watson is in a different spot career wise but Cam was only going to make just over $20 mill. They could have dug in and held their ground if they wanted too, but they didn't want to. Tepper didn't want Cam Newton to be his Qb any longer because he has so much confidence in himself he thought we'd easily replace our Franchise Qb with poo like Teddy, and that just isn't going to get the job done

Bottom line is, we had our guy in the building. Sure he was coming off injury but I would have rather taken a chance with Cam for 1 year returning to form in a stacked offense rather than bringing in a guy like Teddy every single year in hopes we finally get someone worthy enough to replace the guy we let walk out of the door. Relying on FA Qbs to become what they've never been, "Franchise Qbs," is a worse strategy than hoping your former MVP returns to form. Regardless of the contract Cam would still be here if they wanted him here. They didn't. Welcome Sam Darnold!!

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Darnold is a great low risk insurance plan. He just shouldn’t be our set in stone starting QB next year. If a name becomes available or a top prospect falls to us, I hope we strongly consider it...

Why not... We're not winning a trophy this year.. We should let this play out and stop trying to find our way to mediocre.. If he sucks we lose and be in a better position to find his replacement.. If Rhule and Brady are worth all the praise and love they get.. And Darnold actually gets good then it's the steal of the century and we know we have a great Coaching staff and GM.. Let it fly or let it burn stop trying to find bandaides...

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think we have to make up that 2nd rounder for the reasons you provide.  But trading Teddy will recoup the 4th and 6th, and if we move back a bit at some point, we could recoup the second.  If so, then the Teddy for Darnold swap was good for us because we get rid of a lot of TB's salary AND we still have our 1st rounder that we did not spend on a QB

I really think you are dramatically overvaluing Teddy. I would be pretty surprised if he nets anything more than a conditional 5th or 6th. 

I still ultimately believe we will just end up cutting him.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I really want that to happen, but I would hate missing out on Sewell or Slater. I'm not sure if getting one of the big uglies would indicate that we're intellectually all-in on Darnold as much as it simply says we'd be taking the BPA. 

On an off note, If Pitts or Chase is there and we pick one of them over Sewell or Slater, I don't believe that's necessarily an indicator that we're all-in on Darnold either.

I am sure if there is a QB available at 8 and we pass on them, you are gonna have every reporter in that post draft presser asking why we did.  I think we will end up finding out what they think of Darnold if we pass on a QB or snag a WR/TE at 8.

• Pie 1

I certainly wanted an upgrade but Teddy was not the horrible QB being assumed around here.  He was middle of the pack last year statistically and did make some plays and that may be as good as it gets for him but he was not the worst QB in the league by a long ways.  

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

16 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Why not... We're not winning a trophy this year.. We should let this play out and stop trying to find our way to mediocre.. If he sucks we lose and be in a better position to find his replacement.. If Rhule and Brady are worth all the praise and love they get.. And Darnold actually gets good then it's the steal of the century and we know we have a great Coaching staff and GM.. Let it fly or let it burn stop trying to find bandaides...

Here is my thought process. Even if Darnold isn’t that great we may still win our fair share of games (see Teddy last year) plus our defense should be much improved. So if we are picking mid to late first next year we saw how expensive it is to move up for a QB (thanks Niners). If one falls in our lap at 8 like Fields I think you absolutely take him. If hell freezes over and Darnold turns into the second coming of Peyton Manning you can still get a return for Fields (Darnold sucked at they got a 2, 4, and 6). If Darnold is still bad or just average we have a rookie top pick to compete with him, become the starter and hopefully be our franchise QB. It’s such an important position that we shouldn’t settle until we have the right guy. 

I know we need a LT, but if Sewell isn’t there I don’t see a huge drop off from Slater and the other LTs in this draft. This is a good year to possibly grab a talent in the 2nd round. I would feel MUCH better with Darnold and Fields competing behind a line with a solid 2nd round LT (NDSU guy, Alabama guy both look capable) than just Darnold behind say Slater going into next year. If Darnold and Fields struggle then we can start to look at our staff...

• Beer 1

Just now, Shocker said:

I certainly wanted an upgrade but Teddy was not the horrible QB being assumed around here.  He was middle of the pack last year statistically and did make some plays and that may be as good as it gets for him but he was not the worst QB in the league by a long ways.  

I just don’t want to see him miss another opportunity with the game on the line. I’d rather Darnold throw it up and get picked off than Teddy dump it off for 2 yards on 4th and 8...

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Here is my thought process. Even if Darnold isn’t that great we may still win our fair share of games (see Teddy last year) plus our defense should be much improved. So if we are picking mid to late first next year we saw how expensive it is to move up for a QB (thanks Niners). If one falls in our lap at 8 like Fields I think you absolutely take him. If hell freezes over and Darnold turns into the second coming of Peyton Manning you can still get a return for Fields (Darnold sucked at they got a 2, 4, and 6). If Darnold is still bad or just average we have a rookie top pick to compete with him, become the starter and hopefully be our franchise QB. It’s such an important position that we shouldn’t settle until we have the right guy. 

I know we need a LT, but if Sewell isn’t there I don’t see a huge drop off from Slater and the other LTs in this draft. This is a good year to possibly grab a talent in the 2nd round. I would feel MUCH better with Darnold and Fields competing behind a line with a solid 2nd round LT (NDSU guy, Alabama guy both look capable) than just Darnold behind say Slater going into next year. If Darnold and Fields struggle then we can start to look at our staff...

You're still looking for Bandaides.. I don't want to waste a opportunity to really fix the rest of the team so there is no excuses and you might be more enticing landing spot for a vet QB or being position to draft a better QB then Fields and Darnold next year... Let it play out stop making it more confusing then it needs to be..  We don't need 2 QB ? this year..

7 minutes ago, Shocker said:

He should have been better and for the way the owner and the coaching staff talked about it.. He either refused to be or didn't have the physical talent to... 

I don't care what anybody says... 15tds with these weapons isn't middle of the road.. I don't care how dinking and dunking and players yac yards make your stats look.. At the end of the day 0-8 and only putting up 1 more passing TD then you ever have is a failure..

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

No one really knows what transpired. Even if Cam was unhappy with his current contract situation and wanted an extension that doesn't mean he wouldn't have played on the last year of his contract. I don't see Cam ever holding out over a contract dispute so instead, they released him. Look at the Texans and how defiant they were about letting Watson leave even with a new regime coming in. Granted Watson is in a different spot career wise but Cam was only going to make just over $20 mill. They could have dug in and held their ground if they wanted too, but they didn't want to. Tepper didn't want Cam Newton to be his Qb any longer because he has so much confidence in himself he thought we'd easily replace our Franchise Qb with poo like Teddy, and that just isn't going to get the job done

Bottom line is, we had our guy in the building. Sure he was coming off injury but I would have rather taken a chance with Cam for 1 year returning to form in a stacked offense rather than bringing in a guy like Teddy every single year in hopes we finally get someone worthy enough to replace the guy we let walk out of the door. Relying on FA Qbs to become what they've never been, "Franchise Qbs," is a worse strategy than hoping your former MVP returns to form. Regardless of the contract Cam would still be here if they wanted him here. They didn't. Welcome Sam Darnold!!

I actually agree with you. The problem arises  when there is a regime change. If you're Rhule and this guy wants a 4 year extension, what do you do? Instead of the headache you cut his ass. Forcing him to play that last year would be bad optics from the league.