• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There Appear To Be 2 Favorites To Land Teddy Bridgewater

KatsAzz

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/there-appear-to-be-2-favorites-to-land-teddy-bridgewater

Carolina Panthers quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA - AUGUST 24: Teddy Bridgewater #5 of the Carolina Panthers walks to a new drill during a training camp session at Bank of America Stadium on August 24, 2020 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

Teddy Bridgewater could be on the move fairly soon, as the Carolina Panthers have already granted him permission to seek a trade partner.

Bridgewater signed a three-year, $63 million deal with the Panthers last offseason. He didn’t really live up to that contract, which is why Carolina went out and acquired Sam Darnold this week in a blockbuster trade with the New York Jets.

Now that Darnold is the projected starter for the Panthers, rumors are swirling about Bridgewater’s future. In fact, the betting odds have just been released for his next destination.

As of this moment, the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans are toward the top of the list for Bridgewater. Neither team, however, has better odds than the Panthers.

Here are the current odds for the Broncos and Texans:
  • Denver Broncos (+250)
  • Houston Texans (+350)

Denver makes a lot of sense considering the front office actually checked in on Bridgewater’s availability earlier this offseason.

“Their new general manager, George Paton, was part of the front office in Minnesota that drafted Teddy Bridgewater,” NFL Network insider James Palmer said on NFL Now. “After they missed out on Matthew Stafford, they showed some interest in Bridgewater. My thought would be at the cap number he’s at right now, they’d like that to be different if they’re going to pursue Bridgewater.”

Houston, meanwhile, already has a veteran quarterback in Tyrod Taylor. On the other hand, the uncertainty surrounding Deshaun Watson’s situation might influence the front office to go out and acquire another proven quarterback.

Where do you think Bridgewater will land this offseason?

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 1

If he's released, he still gets $10 mil. Do a contract that lowers his cap and he get bonus of like $12 mil to do it with backloaded fake years. Something that if traded, the new team has a cap hit of like 2 or 3 mil. Then everybody wins and maybe we get a decent draft pick in return (3rd or 4th)? But realistically it's probably a 5th or 6th. 

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:
“I really think most teams are interested in Bridgewater if #Carolina releases him. The Broncos would be interested in Bridgewater competing with Drew Lock. Either Carolina has to pay some sort of guarantee, or release him.”

I think this is very likely the ultimate scenario. I think the league knows that he is likely to be cut and they can just negotiate a new contract versus have to negotiate his current bloated contract.

50 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Makes no sense to release him. Trade him or keep him as a backup 

Agreed, be patient.

1 - If a team doesn't offer now, that could change after the draft.

2 - If not then, there is still several months before training camp for a team to come get him. 

3 - If we make it to training camp, oh well Teddy, suck it up. You don't want to be here any more than we want you here, but you are making a healthy paycheck. 

4 - Once the season starts, it only takes one under performing QB or one injury to a QB for a team to come calling. 

The team and Teddy just have to remain patient. The team will eventually get compensation. Teddy will eventually get traded, and may even have a chance to start if the trade happens under circumstance #4 above.

• Pie 4

Teddy as the expense backup is much better than releasing him outright.  Fitty needs to be smart and keep him until a trade offer comes even into the season.

If someones starter goes down his value goes way up.  Not to mention Teddy is such a class person I seriously doubt he causes problems as the backup.  

BTW:  releasing Teddy and keeping Grier or PJ would be baffling to me.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I suspect keeping him is no longer an option. I don't think the relationship between the current staff and Teddy appears to be the best. 

Also something to think about is Sam has never played a full season. So having a competent backup like Teddy would be ideal. But if we suck and Sam sucks then I don’t care whose the backup because at that point we need to be tanking.

It also might be worth keeping him if we could maybe get a trade for him mid season if some teams starter goes down and they think they need a manager for a stretch. I just don’t see the upside in cutting him right now but that could change. Hopefully he gets traded. 

Just now, TheRumGone said:

Also something to think about is Sam has never played a full season. So having a competent backup like Teddy would be ideal. But if we suck and Sam sucks then I don’t care whose the backup because at that point we need to be tanking.

It also might be worth keeping him if we could maybe get a trade for him mid season if some teams starter goes down and they think they need a manager for a stretch. I just don’t see the upside in cutting him right now but that could change. Hopefully he gets traded. 

I wouldn't disagree in theory but I think Teddy sticking around is generally extremely unlikely 

1 hour ago, Floppin said:

It would be absolutely depressingly hilarious if Bridgewater gets traded to the Texans and ends up starting in place of the disgraced Watson. What a crazy world.

Yes, the fact we wanted Watson, their QB, which did not happen but the Texans  wind up with our former QB would certainly be a role reversal and somewhat hilarious.