• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are the numbers that will make you believe??

WOW!!

Numbers can be deceptive sometimes, and player numbers are often a reflection, at least in part, of the quality of the surrounding team as much as the individual player. I care more about what my eyeballs tell me.

Is he making good reads and throws? Is he moving with confidence and making quick decisions? I realize such things may feel too ethereal for some, but I care more about what I'm seeing than the cold numbers.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

Considering everything we know about Darnold :

1 - He was a project when drafted. Not a long football history so there was work to be done.

2 - For most of his career with the Jets he was without a QB coach and had Gase to rely on to develop him. So not a good situation at all. 

3 - He is young and probably a Iittle rattled from running for his life non stop. He needs to game slowed down for him first and build from there. 

That all taken into account, I think you treat him somewhat like a rookie. Which I'm sure the staff is going to do. I'd place the same expectations I would if we got Fields/Lance/Wilson. To be good and show improvement through the year and limit the turnovers. 

• Pie 6

Less concerned with the numbers than his overall decision making and ability to make something happen with the game on the line. IMO, I'm treating this like his sophomore season in terms of expectations... I want to see someone that shows flashes of greatness, limits repeated mistakes, and improves over the course of a season.

Having him play like an all pro, as some seem to want, would be great, but I don't think it is likely given how much work Darnold is going to need.

• Pie 3

25 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Less concerned with the numbers than his overall decision making and ability to make something happen with the game on the line. IMO, I'm treating this like his sophomore season in terms of expectations... I want to see someone that shows flashes of greatness, limits repeated mistakes, and improves over the course of a season.

Having him play like an all pro, as some seem to want, would be great, but I don't think it is likely given how much work Darnold is going to need.

This.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

What would you say if he posted the following numbers:

Completes 59.2%, 3200 yards, 19 TDs and 16 Ints. for an 80.6 QBR.

Super Bowl?

What if he did this:

Completes 59.8% 3800 yards 35 TDs and 10 ints.  for a 99.4 QBR.

Super Bowl?

1st numbers - still looking for a QB..

2nd Numbers- thank you jesus it worked and our FO are genius....LETS GOOOOOOOO!

I wont state numbers and I have no concrete expectations. I just hope that if he is the starter (until TB is traded or ruled as a backup, there will be a competition and the better player will start) that he can learn and improve week by week. 

Someone else said it best. He might be a 3 year vet but really because of where he was, that situation and Covid messing everything up last year, a full reset and treating him like a rookie seems to be the best approach, 

Edited by Ready 2 Win

2 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Depending on the draft  I need Darnold to have 25+ (passing TD's) 12 or less Ints 4,000 yards passing  3 or more rushing TD's with a comp. Rate of 64% or more.. And a passer rating 88 or more...

Why is this "depending on the draft?"

The Panthers got strong QB play in 2003 and 2015, and neither QB had 4000 yards.  both were over 4% BELOW 64% in completion percentage. 

Did you adjust for a 17-game schedule?

And to say wins are not the measure of an individual QB, neither are stats.  Darnold will not be calling plays and he has no control over the existence of a pocket.  He does not run the routes or catch the passes for the WRs/TEs.  So there are too many variables for anyone to reduce the measure of a QB to a few cherry picked statistics. 

Winning is all that matters.  Jake Delhomme nearly won the Super Bowl with a 59% completion rate and 19 TDs and 16 Ints. 3200 yards.  Yet he was a gamer.  He took the team on his back and he made plays when they were needed.  I am looking for the skillset, but a leader is not determined by stats.  We all know that.  Bridgewater came closer to your stats that Delhomme did.  He had 3700 yards and completed 69% of his passes.   His TD/INT ratio was about the same as Jake's was in 2003.  So using this model, Teddy Bridgewater in 2020 was a better QB than Jake Delhomme in 2003, the team that barely lost Super Bowl 38).

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Why is this "depending on the draft?"

The Panthers got strong QB play in 2003 and 2015, and neither QB had 4000 yards.  both were over 4% BELOW 64% in completion percentage. 

Did you adjust for a 17-game schedule?

And to say wins are not the measure of an individual QB, neither are stats.  Darnold will not be calling plays and he has no control over the existence of a pocket.  He does not run the routes or catch the passes for the WRs/TEs.  So there are too many variables for anyone to reduce the measure of a QB to a few cherry picked statistics. 

Winning is all that matters.  Jake Delhomme nearly won the Super Bowl with a 59% completion rate and 19 TDs and 16 Ints. 3200 yards.  Yet he was a gamer.  He took the team on his back and he made plays when they were needed.  I am looking for the skillset, but a leader is not determined by stats.  We all know that.  Bridgewater came closer to your stats that Delhomme did.  He had 3700 yards and completed 69% of his passes.   His TD/INT ratio was about the same as Jake's was in 2003.  So using this model, Teddy Bridgewater in 2020 was a better QB than Jake Delhomme in 2003, the team that barely lost Super Bowl 38).

I want to see what they surround him with on the Oline..

And the rest of this agree to disagree.   

Individual stats are individual for a reason.. W-l are a team stat imo...

Like I said I will add context to my opinion (injuries, plays messed up by under performing teammates, coaching mistakes) Will change my opinion..

Edited by WOW!!