• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are the numbers that will make you believe??

WOW!!

Regardless his numbers, I have a gut feeling he is not the answer long term unfortunately, but I believe he will serve as a great backup as in a D.Anderson. Better than Teddy I assume because he beat out Teddy in Jets camp. Then again that could've been the staff consume with the thought they found their QB so maybe Teddy really never had a chance.

So lemme get this straight--You want a QB who throws into the teeth of the defense and you want his completion percentage to be 64%.  You want the yards over 4000, but you want the interceptions in the single digits.  How many current QBs do that now?

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

Individual stats are individual for a reason.. W-l are a team stat imo...

Individual stats are still reflective of the supporting cast--you cant separate them.  And there is no real reason for them.  Put Tom Brady in NY last year.  Are his stats similar to Tampa?  That would be a big ole bowl of NOPE. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Individual stats are still reflective of the supporting cast--you cant separate them

This is what many folks don't get. We get enamored with stats. They tell a truer story in baseball and basketball, but in football, every single play depends on the actions of multiple players. Individual stats in football can be very misleading. They can give us an outline, but we need to be careful about putting too much emphasis on them.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Numbers are indicators, but they don't tell the entire story. I'll know if he's a franchise QB if I see him making the throws that it takes to win and playing within the offense when juxtaposed against what the defense is giving him. One of the more important things I will personally be looking at is ball security which speaks to his pocket awareness and field vision. If he isn't a fumble waiting to happen when pressured, or throwing to the interceptions to the opposition on a consistent basis, then his growth and development will become obvious, and that's the main thing I'll be looking for, which will naturally translate to a franchise QB's efficiency as it pertains to numbers (but not necessarily a specific number in a particular category).

Basically, I'll know if he's the real deal when I see it. The numbers will naturally fall in line.

Edited by top dawg

22 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

This is what many folks don't get. We get enamored with stats. They tell a truer story in baseball and basketball, but in football, every single play depends on the actions of multiple players. Individual stats in football can be very misleading. They can give us an outline, but we need to be careful about putting too much emphasis on them.

Prime example: Teddy this year, his stats doesn't tell the whole story that we all know to well.

• Beer 1

I need to see Darnold getting:

Complete 60 or 63% Comp, 3900+ Yard, 28-31 TDs and 8-13 Int. Passer rate of 90% or more and least 4+ Rush TDs with 150+ Rush yard.

We probably End up in Make playoff or Wildcard but I don't see make Divisional Round or NFC championship because of Tampa Bay and Tom Brady. 

Edited by X-TEM-X

6 hours ago, WOW!! said:

We did this last year for Teddy which he supremely under performed..

So now I guess it Sam Darnold's turn..

What does his numbers have to be for you to believe we have a franchise QB.. Now again everything should be put in context...

In Teddy case bad oline, pandemic offseason, not having CMC did hurt.. But Jmo and (most of the organization) with the talent he did have and the offense going up and down the field like it did.. 15tds 11ints and a 0-8 record in game winning or tying situation is unacceptable...

Depending on the draft  I need Darnold to have 25+ (passing TD's) 12 or less Ints 4,000 yards passing  3 or more rushing TD's with a comp. Rate of 64% or more.. And a passer rating 88 or more...

The only numbers that really matter: 12-4, 13-3, 14-2. Sh!t! 12-5, 13-4, 14-3, 15-2... those numbers will be what matters. Darnold can throw 35 INTs if we can hit the play-offs and make a serious mark there.

Okay, he can throw 12 INTs and I won't lose my mind over it. Gotta have some standards I guess. But wins, baby, wins. Many wins. If not, then I think we take a close look at not just him but perhaps our coaching staff.

• Pie 1