• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance 2nd Pro Day

CPsinceDay1

29 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The only reason I sort of believe the smokescreen is because Fields hadn’t had his pro day and because Shanahan’s (Kyle) past QBs seem to fit the Mac Jones mold versus a QB with the speed/running that Fields can do. The only one with that running ability was RG3 and that didn’t end well. Maybe Fields running ability and potential injuries from running are a risk to him.

That said, there are two things that could make our off-season:

1. Jones goes 3 making it very possible that we pick from Sewell, Pitts and Chase at 8 or line us up for a trade partner dumping a nice offer to move down a bit.

2. Someone takes the Teddy contract off our books.

Fields hadn't had his pro day, I agree.  But maybe Fields pro day didn't really matter because Kyle has some hands on experience with Fields (when Fields was younger) and the tape speaks for itself.  So imagine a scenario where they know Lawrence and Fields are QBs they would want to draft. 

With that in mind, picture the timing of the trade announcement.  It was basically during Wilson's dazzling pro day.  If you allow yourself to run with the theory that they already knew they would be okay with Fields...it was like the Wilson pro day convinced them that they would be okay with Wilson at #3 or that Wilson would go at #2 and Fields would be there at #3 so they pulled the trigger.  They couldn't lose.

I think if the Mac Jones rumors are real, it will be purely coincidental.  If you recall, those rumors came out literally the moment the trade went thru.  The only people that would know for sure if they had a definitive target would be Kyle and Lynch, and they were at Wilson's pro day.  So you are telling me Lynch pulled the trigger on the trade and then immediately called some buddies and told them it was for Mac Jones?  I'm not buying it.  

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Shocker said:

I wish someone could explain to me how Trey Lance could ever be picked or rated higher than Justin Fields.  I cannot think of one thing Lance has over Fields.  Lance is getting so much “unknown” mojo it isn’t funny.  

I am labeling this nojo.  The unknown is more powerful to people than the known.

Better arm, better athlete, better throwing motion, played in a conventional offense.

50 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Better arm, better athlete, better throwing motion, played in a conventional offense.

And produced little against nobody. It's all hope.

Nothing suggests he's even equal to Fields as an athlete 

Edited by Moo Daeng

10 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Exactly. Denver could trade up with us if they want lance and are worried New England or WFT is offering a better package. They are worried about us trading down more than us taking their guy. 

If New England, Denver and WFT get in a bidding war we could potentially get a 1st next year.  Which I would be extremely happy with.  

If Darnold doesn't impress we have 2 first that we can use deal with.  Whether it's Watson (if he somehow clears all his problems) or any of the prospects from next year.  Imagine the WFT drafting Lance and he has a poor season but shows potential that pick could be top 10.  If Darnold fails (IMO he won't) than we could potentially have 2 picks on the top 10.   If he plays well we could have 2 picks in the top 20.

• Pie 1

I guess Lance decided to do this because his was so early and the others have decided to one-up each other by adding a second one.  His will be the final one now.  I'm sure he's got some crazy throw drawn up against a non-existent pass rush that everyone went crazy over in the Zach Wilson Pro Day.  Wilson would have been planted in the turf doing all that running around in the backfield and probably would have been picked throwing back against the grain.  Sure it looks impressive when there is ZERO defense.

He may even do non-throwing workouts too.  I think that hurt him by opting out the first time around when the other QBs with later Pro Days decided they would participate.

Edited by 45catfan

8 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

And produced little against nobody. It's all hope.

Nothing suggests he's even equal to Fields as an athlete 

Saying that Lance played against "nobody" is disrespectful to the FCS (and it's also saying, in some sense, that he played with "nobody"), but saying he produced "little" is really akin to a lie. 

If "nothing" suggested that he was "even equal" to Fields as an athlete, then he wouldn't be receiving first round grades from some perennial evaluators and scouts, much less ranked ahead of Fields by some of them. 

I know that you must have seen people say this before, but I'll say it yet again: Evaluating QBs is all about trying to isolate traits and project how well these traits will translate to the next level. So regardless of what you think about his level of competition, when juxtaposed against the traits he displayed, it isn't the litmus test in evaluating.

Lastly, the reasons I have seen people like McShay or Cosell (among others) rank Lance just a little over Fields is mainly due to his processing speed. They are perceived as similar athletes, but Lance has the strongest arm in this class, seems like a more natural and gifted runner, and has better pocket awareness. He's smoother in the pocket when things begin to break down, and he called his own protections in a pro-style offense. He has that over Lance (and any QB draft prospect this year).

You and @Shocker and company may not agree with the reasoning, but there's no reason to just keep asking why. Just disagree!

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

He had 42 TD the year before.....

The film does, Field running ability isn’t as good as people are saying.

If you're using running ability to separate QB's you're doing it wrong.  There are five other guys on offense who should be running with the ball before you get to a QB.  Yes, a QB who can break contain is nice, but I'd rather have a guy who makes the right read and puts the ball in the hands of a DJ Moore / Robby Anderson / CMC.

In the case of Lance vs Fields, if we're really down to a slight difference in running ability, give me the guy who did against better competition.