• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Sewell is drafted before #8...

MHS831

If Sewell and Lance are gone, I'm all for moving back a FEW spots and taking Slater or Darrisaw.  Certainly one of them will be there.  I'm leaning Darrisaw though.  I honestly think Slater will be an good tackle, but if someone takes him as a guard in a zone blocking scheme, dude will be a perennial Pro Bowler.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Darrisaw may be the 2nd best LT in the class but that doesn't mean anything. He's a power man blocker. He doesn't fit the scheme man. Folks have to learn it isn't always about who's the best it's about who can do what we want them to do. If the 49ers draft Mac it isn't necessarily because they think he's the 3rd best QB but it's because they think he can do what they want him to do. This is why when owners draft for their team the results never work out. Good teams draft the right players for their scheme and everything else be damned. 

Just laying it out there.  I hear ya. Slater is a lot more versatile and I love his feet.  Really gets to the second level well--that should be good for a few hundred extra yards for CMC.  He can be the best guard in the NFL, or he can be a very good LT.  Darrisaw is a LT. 

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

The Darnold trade gives the Panthers flexibility to trade down and not feel desperate to grab a QB. We haven't seen the Panthers trade down in the 1st since 2007. I think it's time to start accumulating picks to fill out a depleted roster.

The Darnold trade doesn’t do a damn thing. Means nothing. I’d hate to see Rhule spend his first few years hitched to Teddy and fuging Sam Darnold. That’s a one way ticket back to Temple. 

6 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

Stay at 8 and get the best talent.  If we pick Parsons... great.  Shaq is a goner next year.

Do not want non pass rushing lb at 8. In the pass wacky NFL of today, lb's that don't primarily rush the passer are the least important position on the defensive side of the ball. They just don't merit top 10 picks IMO because their ability to impact the outcome of the game is limited relative to other positions. Top 10 picks should primarily be QB's, tackles O and D, pass rushers, and elite corners. These are the positions that have the greatest combination of ability to impact outcome and significant gap between what a top prospect gives you vs a mid round guy. 

As much as I loved Kuechley, his ability to alter outcomes, even as the best player in the league at his position, was limited, because of his position. And even as an elite player, the difference between what he gave you and what a run of the mill starter who could be drafted in mid rounds gave you at MLB, was not as big as the difference between a middle of the road corner, and an elite one.

Loved Luke, hated prioritizing and overspending at the position he played.

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

Do not want non pass rushing lb at 8. In the pass wacky NFL of today, lb's that don't primarily rush the passer are the least important position on the defensive side of the ball. They just don't merit top 10 picks IMO because their ability to impact the outcome of the game is limited relative to other positions. Top 10 picks should primarily be QB's, tackles O and D, pass rushers, and elite corners. These are the positions that have the greatest combination of ability to impact outcome and significant gap between what a top prospect gives you vs a mid round guy. 

As much as I loved Kuechley, his ability to alter outcomes, even as the best player in the league at his position, was limited, because of his position. And even as an elite player, the difference between what he gave you and what a run of the mill starter who could be drafted in mid rounds gave you at MLB, was not as big as the difference between a middle of the road corner, and an elite one.

Loved Luke, hated prioritizing and overspending at the position he played. I have nothing against Parsons, but we have plenty of needs at premium positions that have far greater impact that MLB. Get one of those guys and draft a mid round linebacker. He won't give you Parson's production, but that's not what matters. What matters is the difference between the player you didn't draft at a more critical position, and a JAG at that position losing games for us while we watch Parsons play great at the least important defensive position on the field.