• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers "focused in" on Pitts?

Mr. Scot

Would it have to be either/or?

If Pitts and either Sewell or Slater were there at #8, everybody here is voicing opinions as to why one is better than the other.

Why not have our cake, and then go ahead and eat it, too.

Take Pitts at #8, then trade our 2nd round pick, plus our #1 in 2022, to Denver, and get the OT we need with their #9.  (If you experts in swap values think that's not enough, add to it until it is.)

Balls to the wall, boys.  If you all think Sewell/Slater are #1 picks this year (and they are), then they're equally worth next year's #1.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

You see the thing about Pitts is that he is absolutely a matchup nightmare in the truest sense of the word. I can't emphasize that enough. He's the kind of guy that will likely have to be doubled a marked percentage of the time. Otherwise he's going to go off. With credible receivers and a legit versatile threat at RB, the addition of Pitts makes an offense damned near unstoppable. With any semblance of effective QB play, the sky is the limit. 

It's more than likely why he will be gone before 8. Fields,Pitts, Lance, and Sewell could all fall to us in different scenarios. All imo are impact players.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If we want Pitts, then I assure you there is a very good reason for it.  What was the offense missing last year?  Who is going to cover him?  etc. 

I am telling you, they may think we are better off at OT than we think we are. 

We can definitely use Pitts but WE ARE NOT better off at OT than we think UNLESS they plan on moving moton to LT or doing something like trading for orlando Brown. 

4 hours ago, Jmac said:

If they ignore the Oline again, then they deserve to be irrelevant. One would think after the Cam fiasco, they would learn what wins games in this league. 

100%. And I believe Pitts is the best player in this draft. 

LT has plagued this team for too long. One solid year from Oher and we went to the Super Bowl 15-1. Deep OT classes don't happen much and we're sitting pretty in this one. We have to strike now.

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If we want Pitts, then I assure you there is a very good reason for it.  What was the offense missing last year?  Who is going to cover him?  etc. 

I am telling you, they may think we are better off at OT than we think we are. 

They made it clear that a pass catching TE was a priority. A lot of people seemed to write that off once Arnold was signed but Pitts is the ideal prospect in that regard.

21 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

They made it clear that a pass catching TE was a priority. A lot of people seemed to write that off once Arnold was signed but Pitts is the ideal prospect in that regard.

The thing with Pitts is that you have to lump him in with the Smith / Waddle / Chase group. Would you take any of those at #8? Cos essentially he's a big WR.

At best he'll play as a Flex-TE for the first few years in the NFL and, quite frankly, you're wasting his skillset if you ask him to play as an in-line TE. 

He's at his best when you can isolate him out wide against a player and let him use his array of moves to get open. That same array of moves he can't deploy if he starts with his hand in the ground.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, saX man said:

Though ideally, I see Rashawn Slater in our future and would be thrilled.

If i had to bet (which I love gambling)...I'd say Slater is the most likely pick. Sewell and Pitts will likely both be gone. 

19 hours ago, stbugs said:

10? A TE with Moore, McCaffery and Anderson would be lucky to get 4-5 touches a game.

Trading up to 5 and not taking Chase or Sewell is next level dumb. Trading up to 5 for a non-QB is dumb to begin with.

I was going for the max example at 10, I would have got called out for low-balling such an obvious weapon.  However, Travis Kelce and Darren Waller lead the League tied with  9.1 catches a game average.  They had 35 more catches than the #3 TE Logan Thomas who averaged about 7 catches a game.  Besides Kelce and Waller, there was only one other TE that got more 20% of the passing targets and that was Evan Engram.

Pitts would HAVE to be the focus for this offense to be worth the #8 pick.  If people pour over the data, it shows that #8 overall pick is not the best used by drafting a TE.

Tight End Stats (edit: Default is set to 'playoffs', toggle to regular season)

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1