• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer goes deep on the Darnold trade

Mr. Scot

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And just a little more about Darnold himself...

Fact is, Darnold was relatively raw coming out of USC, hadn’t had the classic quarterback training growing up in Orange County that a lot of others have (because he was a multisport athlete in high school) and played in a fairly simple system in college that allowed him to make the most of his athletic gifts.

This - along with the mess in NY - is what gives me the most optimism for this trade. And he's still so young with plenty of room to develop in the right conditions. I'll, as always, remain hopeful.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

As the article pointed out, Darnold was Plan D. 

We’re now ‘turning over every QB rock’. 

Not ideal, but it’s what we should be doing at this point. I’m prepared for this process to take years, but here’s to hoping it doesn’t.

I’m pleased they weren’t willing to trade the farm for the #3 pick. The team has too many needs.

• Pie 5

Takeaways from this (extensive) article…

Both Fitterer and Rhule were fans of Darnold based on prior experiences. They were still extremely thorough, though. Both head coach and GM went through the film of Darnold’s entire Jets career as well as his college tape, and ultimately liked what they saw.

At the time of the initial contact, both teams were still in the early stages of their draft prospect evaluations. That’s why Joe Douglas said “keep in touch”, and of course they did.

(Side Note: The phone call story is pretty funny)

Having read again about how strongly the Panthers want to keep their picks in the first three rounds, I’m a tad dubious of the idea that the Panthers might trade up. Granted it’s still possible. I’m just not necessarily expecting it.

Similarly, the more I read, the less I believe we were ever willing to give up as much for Deshaun Watson as people theorized. Would we have traded for him? Absolutely. Would we have given up the kind of crazy, Herschel Walker 2.0 trade packages people were suggesting, though? Eeehhh, not so convinced on that point.

One more thing I’m not sold on: the idea that Darnold is a “just in case” deal. As mentioned, Rhule and Fitterer were already talking about Darnold right after the Stafford deal fell through / well before their draft prospect evaluations were very far along, and they were willing to go ahead and make the trade even then. Honestly, I think it’s quite possible that if Joe Douglas hadn’t wanted to wait, this trade might have come a lot sooner.

As to now, I know the possibility of taking a quarterback is still there and I get the rationale behind it, but count me in the crowd that hopes they don’t. Regardless of whether Darnold turns out to be “the guy” or not, there are lingering issues that it’s well past time we fixed.

And lastly, I know some of Darnold’s biggest critics are sick of hearing about Adam Gase, but Breer’s elaboration on what he said previously regarding Gase and Darnold just strengthens the case that Darnold’s years under Gase need to be taken with at least one, and probably several, grains of salt.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And just a little more about Darnold himself...

I do think there’s one thing everyone should know about Darnold before we move on. Really, there’s a pretty simple explanation for why he played like he did the last couple years—and that boils right down to fit. I don’t really know how sold Adam Gase ever was on Darnold (he preferred Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen ahead of the 2018 draft, when he was still in Miami), and I do think the result of that was that the Jets never bent quite enough to make their system work for him the last couple of years. It’s easy to blame Gase for that, and some of it is on him. But it’s also on those doing the hiring in 2019, who by then had to know the player, and how he’d fit the coach he was about to work under. Fact is, Darnold was relatively raw coming out of USC, hadn’t had the classic quarterback training growing up in Orange County that a lot of others have (because he was a multisport athlete in high school) and played in a fairly simple system in college that allowed him to make the most of his athletic gifts. Coming to the pros, he simply wasn’t ready to run a complex system—and that’s not to say he wouldn’t eventually be able to get there. It was at the point where I know it was suggested to the coaches that they take line calls and “Mike” points off of him and give those responsibilities to the center, to try and get Darnold playing faster. And it never happened. That’s also why I think the Shanahan system is seen as a good fit for Darnold—because that system takes much of the mental burden off the quarterback. So now, as I see it, it’ll be on Panthers OC Joe Brady to tailor his scheme in a way that works for Darnold. And prioritizing getting Darnold playing fast again would be a good place to start.

Yep.  I have a feeling that Joe Brady is going to scheme his ever-loving ass off next year, and in the process make Sam Darnold look like a million bucks.  Then Brady will become a Head Coach in the next offseason, and thats where the rubber really meets the road.  Gonna be an interesting next couple of years in Charlotte!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I hope Fitts sees a prospect like Newman/Mond later in the draft as his Russell Wilson over Fields/Jones at 8. To take a beastly OT at 8 (or 15) would be huge. I love Fields and Lance, but after trading for Darnold, really hope we go OT (or perhaps Pitts if we are so lucky) in R1. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

After landing at 8, I firmly believe that Darnold was plan C, and A created a mess for itself, and B's price was just a bit too high.

Seems Fitts and Rhule really like Sam, seems Sam's personality and background will fit in with Charlotte, and the Panthers/Culture.

Writing on the wall for Sam to be the starter, Teddy to be cut or traded, and wouldn't surprise me at all to bring in a vet QB into the building.

Take the Tackle, and pray that Sam can be something...that's about where we are.

• Beer 1

1) Fields or Lance falls to #8 -- take them, Sam is still a huge ''?'' adding a LT doesn't resolve the ''?'' that he is, don't pass on the talent that Fields / Lance possess + up to 5 years of QB play at that low of a cost, even if we exercise / have exercised Darnold's 5th year option, for a future QB needy team he'd be cheap if we had to deal. Then use the 2nd, and possibly the 3rd to trade back and add additional Day 2 & 3 picks. 

(We're in a great position to do that since we are at the top of each round)

2) If Fields or Lance fall to #5 or #6 -- Swap 1sts, and offer the third, and a future late pick; our 2nd is high enough to trade back this year and add a 3rd or early 4th back to keep our pick count at the same for 2021(7 picks)

3) No top tier QB's available -- Take BPA at #8, I'd be fine with using the 2nd round pick as bait to trade back to add an additional Day 2 pick and would use that to draft Mond / Newman, guys we know could use 1-2 seasons to develop. 

I'm not too big a fan of other options, though there are more, these are simply my preference. 

• Pie 3

Well, like I've said: there's really no desperation going on. They're just taking calculated swing (which doesn't necessarily stop at Darnold, if the right QB prospect falls). And honestly, I don't mind it one bit. They're hellbent on finding a franchise QB, and I can't blame them. They're also not going to give the farm away in that quest because we are still squarely in the middle of a rebuild, and it makes little sense to give up too much prized draft capital in a year that looks promising at areas if need. Next year, we'll presumably have less holes, and due to Fitt's proclivity to trade back, we may be able to get some of those picks back.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2