• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer goes deep on the Darnold trade

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

So Darnold was only the 25th option at QB for the panthers, hope that makes everyone super optimistic. Im not giving Rhule and crew a pass on Teddy or Sam if he flounders.  

And you shouldn't. I wouldn't give them a pass if a rookie QB is drafted and flounders either.

42 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

There is no need to have a young QB if they can't protect him.

They seem to think they have solved that issue this year. Time will tell if it is true or not.

1. How many young QBs did Joe Thomas end up protecting?

2. "seem to think they have solved that [QB] issue " is not how Fitterer acted in Seattle at all. 

Don't misunderstand. I'd be thrilled with an OT, but if Fields was there, I think I'd take him. Time will tell if it would be the right move or not.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Panthers had previously kicked around the idea of dealing up, but decided fairly early on that the price would be prohibitive for where they were in building the team.

This was one of the more impressive things that I read, and overall it was a study in two organizations acting like adults.

A lot of good discussion on this thread, too.  I had to check to make sure I was on the Huddle a few times.

If it is me, I am zeroing in on Sewell or Slater at #8.  I've said several times, if Fields is there, it gives me a pause.  I would probably still take Sewell or Slater, but it would not be a sprint up to the podium as soon as we were put on the clock.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, trueblade said:

2. "seem to think they have solved that [QB] issue " is not how Fitterer acted in Seattle at all. 

Don't misunderstand. I'd be thrilled with an OT, but if Fields was there, I think I'd take him. Time will tell if it would be the right move or not.

How many young QBs have been ruined by bad Olines?

When was Fitterer Seattle's GM and made those decisions?

I'd be thrilled with a QB if the Oline was better, but it's not. As the old saying goes, don't put the cart before the horse.

3 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Just to point out Darnold had a higher draft prospect grade from the same sources than anyone but Lawrence.  The spike in demand demand for QBs doesn't make these prospects any better than they are.

Ppl don't realize this poo when getting excited by the latest thing..

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

So Darnold was only the 25th option at QB for the panthers, hope that makes everyone super optimistic. Im not giving Rhule and crew a pass on Teddy or Sam if he flounders.  

You obviously didn't watch this press conference..

9 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

You obviously didn't watch this press conference..

Had it on as background noise, were their more QBs? Did Rhule say QB is not out of the draft plans? Great method to inject confidence in a QB who doesnt have much left, brilliant in fact!!  

Edited by Basbear

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

- I get the impression that they aren’t interested in Lance at 8.

- They aren’t completely sold on Fields either but haven’t ruled him out and they don’t expect him to fall anyway. He’ll be a game time decision, and with Darnold they may well pass on him for a top non-QB even if he is there. 

Ding ding ding

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Had it on as background noise, were they more QBs? Did Rhule say QB is not out of the draft plans? Great method to inject confidence in a QB who doesnt have much left, brilliant in fact!!  

They can say QB is still a option but reality is they could have traded up like San Francisco and secured getting any of the 3 they wanted.. They were even at 2 of the pro days talking about Sam with the jets...

He was 3rd option in my opinion and the only thing that held it up from happening sooner is Douglas wanting to look at all pro days of the QB... And as soon as he sees Wilson ... Deal done Hmmmmmm..

Just now, WOW!! said:

They can say QB is still a option but reality is they could have traded up like San Francisco and secured getting any of the 3 they wanted.. They were even at 2 of the pro days talking about Sam with the jets...

He was 3rd option in my opinion and the only thing that held it up from happening sooner is Douglas wanting to look at all pro days of the QB... And as soon as he sees Wilson ... Deal done Hmmmmmm..

You including Teddy, Haskins, and Russ Wilson? Maybe 10 more that the public doesnt know, Sam was much further down the panthers looooonnnng list of wants. Sam Darnold was picked by the panthers at 2:57am, in a club parking lot after he threw up on himself. 

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

You including Teddy, Haskins, and Russ Wilson? Maybe 10 more that the public doesnt know, Sam was much further down the panthers looooonnnng list of wants. Sam Darnold was picked by the panthers at 2:57am, in a club parking lot after he threw up on himself. 

Really that's your count.. Are we being realistic or you just spewing BS??

41 minutes ago, trueblade said:

He protected a lot of young QBs. But that goes to show you that coaching makes one hell of a difference to and I wouldn't trust Gase to be head coach of a turtle racing league. Darnold wasn't a fit in Gase's offense, just like Cam wouldn't fit into a traditional passing offense. You have to build around these guys' strengths and Gase tried to hammer a square peg into a round hole. For fugs sake he had one of the best receiving backs in the league and tried to use him as a power back between the tackles. The dude had no idea what he was doing. 

I'm not saying Darnold is going to be a prime time NFL QB. He may, he may not. But I don't think it's fair to look at what happened on the Jets and determine his ceiling. You can only climb so high when you have an anchor dragging you down. Fields might be there at 8 and if he is, I totally understand if they picked him. Drop TB, Grier, Walker, dump all of them. Fields can back up Darnold and if he gets hurt or plays like poo, away we go. 

• Pie 1