• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold Presser

Mr. Scot

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, he had about the same reception as Teddy did. I expect we will see a similar arc if he is our season starter and we don't draft a QB at 8.

Heavy support initially(Igo leading the charge, of course), mixed reviews as the season goes on and eventually full mutiny and abandonment of the "Team Darnold" ship towards the end of the year.

We'll see though. The nice thing about thinking he won't be any better is that if I am wrong, it means the team I root for is better. 

Not sure I'm seeing too many people heavily supporting him now? 

I'll be honest I was extremely against signing Teddy from the moment I heard it and my opinion of him actually got worse as the season went on.  Even winning some games I remembered the streak kyle allen went on and teddy couldn't even match that. Not to mention how our last few seasons have gone in general with the team falling to pieces down the stretch.

With Darnold I'm not AS distraught as I was with Teddy. My faith meter is still fairly low but I'm at least hoping for something better then what we've been getting qb wise for the last 3 years . 

Theres going to be a riot if Darnold ends up just as bad as he was or close to it with the Jets. At that point I'll personally lose faith in the staffs ability to evaluate QBs and we will officially be in a Washington esque QB hell.  Especially if a qb dropped to 8 that ends up being great and we passed /traded down bc we got Darnold. Whew boy. 

I think after teddy people have a right to be critical until sam proves us otherwise. 4 losing seasons in a row would be completely unacceptable no matter how you look at it. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Not sure I'm seeing too many people heavily supporting him now? 

I'll be honest I was extremely against signing Teddy from the moment I heard it and my opinion of him actually got worse as the season went on.  Even winning some games I remembered the streak kyle allen went on and teddy couldn't even match that. Not to mention how our last few seasons have gone in general with the team falling to pieces down the stretch.

With Darnold I'm not AS distraught as I was with Teddy. My faith meter is still fairly low but I'm at least hoping for something better then what we've been getting qb wise for the last 3 years . 

Theres going to be a riot if Darnold ends up just as bad as he was or close to it with the Jets. At that point I'll personally lose faith in the staffs ability to evaluate QBs and we will officially be in a Washington esque QB hell.  Especially if a qb dropped to 8 that ends up being great and we passed /traded down bc we got Darnold. Whew boy. 

I think after teddy people have a right to be critical until sam proves us otherwise. 4 losing seasons in a row would be completely unacceptable no matter how you look at it. 

I think if you browse through the signing day threads, you will see most of them are pretty heavily tilted in the "pro-Darnold" direction. Even now the majority are in that camp. Some of it is just fairly typical fan homerism, which is completely understandable. 

I think the skeptics and flat out anti-Darnold crowd(which is perhaps a little larger than the anti-Teddy crowd was) are a relative minority. 

Absolutely agree with the rest of your post. If Darnold flames out, the fans are going to be up in arms and the staff will be firmly on the hot seat.

Edited by kungfoodude

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lot of people actually gave him credit for not taking the bait on some of the questions he was asked.

He was given plenty of opportunities to talk sh-t about the Jets, but declined them all.

I think he handled that very well.  They could not get him to say anything negative about his time in NY.  He repeatedly praised the people there and the organization. That had to be a tough situation and he handled it with class.

• Pie 2

He's not a public speaker, and I don't think he has a future in broadcasting. But nothing about that presser has any impact on how I think he'll do as a player her. I'm cautiously optimistic, and really hoping for the best.

I still can't get over how young he is. He's 23 and already has 3 years of experience as an NFL QB. He'll mature. He'll probably learn to come off more mature with age. But I'm still pulling hard for him to have a career renaissance here.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, he had about the same reception as Teddy did. I expect we will see a similar arc if he is our season starter and we don't draft a QB at 8.

Heavy support initially(Igo leading the charge, of course), mixed reviews as the season goes on and eventually full mutiny and abandonment of the "Team Darnold" ship towards the end of the year.

We'll see though. The nice thing about thinking he won't be any better is that if I am wrong, it means the team I root for is better. 

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

That’s exactly how it will play out, but forgive me if I skip the formalities. 

I want Sam to be successful for the exact same reasons I wanted Teddy to be successful, and Kyle Allen to be successful, and Cam Netwon to be successful.

Because if they're successful it means the Panthers are winning.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

15 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I want Sam to be successful for the exact same reasons I wanted Teddy to be successful, and Kyle Allen to be successful, and Cam Netwon to be successful.

I can't follow this whole pro this anti that sideshow he's talking about. When did following your local team become so complicated? It's rather silly.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, trueblade said:

No doubt. Any real fan does. 

That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have your own opinions about what the team does, however.

Let's hope they are right in this move. If it is a HR, it will be a very cheap way to get a franchise QB.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, trueblade said:

You can want in one hand and poo in the other...

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think if you browse through the signing day threads, you will see most of them are pretty heavily tilted in the "pro-Darnold" direction. Even now the majority are in that camp. Some of it is just fairly typical fan homerism, which is completely understandable. 

I think the skeptics and flat out anti-Darnold crowd(which is perhaps a little larger than the anti-Teddy crowd was) are a relative minority. 

Absolutely agree with the rest of your post. If Darnold flames out, the fans are going to be up in arms and the staff will be firmly on the hot seat.

Unless....

College Football GIF

we have a backup caliber starting QB based on stats & facts starting for us right now without competition or let's just say unopposed & this grandiose experiment implementing our offensive gurus minds and grand schemes of things into this formula for Darnolds success 

oh boy I hope not......just saying