• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observation..

WOW!!

We go all defense last year..

This year not a very strong defensive draft with 1 maybe 2 players going top 10...  It is strong in the middle round Especially Secondary players but not as many bonafide Defensive Linemen, pass rushers or LB..

We spend more money ln FA on defense...

Who gets credit for the four thought if this is the case??

Is this a plus in Rhule cap??

Discuss..

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 1

It may have been Rhule and he's impressed me fwiw...but don't forget, Herbert would have been our pick if LAC didn't pick him so a lot is circumstantial. 

He did mention addressing defense first and then this year offense so it's definitely part of the plan.  I think fortifying the D makes sense strategically because you at least keep games close.  Then when the average offense has a randomly good game, you are competing with teams like KC which we did.

I could see a CB or DT being picked this year but it will be offense heavy. 

Well in theory... building a good enough D got The Golden Calf of Bristol to the playoffs. And sadly was the reason our oline dissolved in SB50. 

I think its all Rhule. Honestly dont think we had a choice with how bad our defense was in Ron's last year. Now if you add in a new GM that probably still dreams about the Legion of Boom and our offseason moves before & after he got here begin to make even more sense. I'd like to think it's mainly Rhule though.

One thing is certain: The type of player they preference. 

Physical, fast, position switchable. 

We are silently building a hard hitting hybrid defense. But I do expect this to be a split draft. 3 on offense 3 on defense. Probably OT, OG/C, and a late WR since the class is so deep. You could probably throw in Safety (Andre Cisco, Richie Grant), CB (Jevon Holland [Safety/CB], Samuel Jr, Farley) and a DT late since we're thin there. Along with 8 Udfas. 

Side note since we're on 😧 Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah ...I don't want to see this guy in our division. 

• Beer 1

We don't have a clear picture on which positions will be premium, which middle of the road, and which scrubs. We don't know Rhule's/Fittere's blueprint, so we can't anticipate what we'll will do in the draft and FA.

I do know some thing about Fitterer and Rhule. They both love fast roster churning at the bottom. So our scrubs will likely be pushed hard to overachieve, and when they don't they be sent packing quickly for the next scrub. Churning the hell out of the bottom of the roster is way of trying to find overachieving gems asap. The drawback is that the burden is placed on the coaches to always be dealing with inexperienced new guys, and more so than the typical NFL team.

We also know that Rhule loves balance, so he wants to be able to run and pass very well. He places a premium on being able to run in cold weather late in the season and during playoffs.

In the past things were simple. We knew our scrub position on defense were the safeties. We had a system that didn't require the safeties to be high quality. Now we really don't know what is going on yet. The defense is still up in the air, so who knows what we're going to do in the future.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

I’d love to go all defense again but I don’t see it happening. We added plenty of defensive players this offseason already. Reddick, Perryman, Bouye, Fox and Melvin. We are probably going all offense. 

They've done something we've never seen in Charlotte - filled the holes on the roster in FA so they can legitimately go out and take the BPA in the Draft.

We'll see if they actually follow through with that later this month.

• Pie 1