• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The less they know the better.

Zod

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's your opinion.

The team sees him as a starter and has repeatedly said so.

They also told Irving they see him as our LT AND said they may draft a QB still. Right now he is the starter because it’s him or Teddy. If a talent falls to them, that may change.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

They also told Irving they see him as our LT AND said they may draft a QB still. Right now he is the starter because it’s him or Teddy. If a talent falls to them, that may change.

No, they didn't. They told Erving they want him to compete for the left tackle job. They did not tell him that he's the starter.

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You don’t think QB is a need? Sam Darnold solved it about as well as Irving solved our LT need.

QB is by far the biggest hole in our roster. If we stop looking for QBs because we got Darnold...this franchise deserves to be terrible.    

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No, they didn't. They told Erving they want him to compete for the left tackle job. They did not tell him that he's the starter.

So they told Darnold he will be there starter? Seeing someone as a potential starter isn’t that different that saying you will compete for the starting job. Where is the context of the team constantly saying this? I see they like his grit and talent. You are talking about the coach who says he looks forward to working with Cam before he got released. It seems pretty clear that no one is penciled as the starter before the draft.

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

So they told Darnold he will be there starter? Seeing someone as a potential starter isn’t that different that saying you will compete for the starting job. Where is the context of the team constantly saying this? I see they like his grit and talent. You are talking about the coach who says he looks forward to working with Cam before he got released. It seems pretty clear that no one is penciled as the starter before the draft.

Both Fitterer and Rhule have said that they see Sam Darnold as a starter quality quarterback. Fitterer deferred to Rhule on the question of whether he would be named the starter right now. Rhule declined to answer because he doesn't like saying those things ahead of time.

Yes they could draft another quarterback if they wanted, but it'd be a stupid move to do so with bigger needs, especially a huge need at left tackle.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Both Fitterer and Rhule have said that they see Sam Darnold as a starter quality quarterback. Fitterer deferred to Rhule on the question of whether he would be named the starter right now. Rhule declined to answer because he doesn't like saying those things ahead of time.

Yes they could draft another quarterback if they wanted, but it'd be a stupid move to do so with bigger needs, especially a huge need at left tackle.

Would a player competing for our LT spot not be viewed as a starter quality player? I’m sure they view him as having starter qualities, however the jury is still very much out. You don’t get starter quality QBs for what we traded for him. Assuming he is the absolute answer isn’t much different that doing it with Teddy like we did last year. What did Rhule and Fitts say about drafting a QB?

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Would a player competing for our LT spot not be viewed as a starter quality player? I’m sure they view him as having starter qualities, however the jury is still very much out. You don’t get starter quality QBs for what we traded for him. Assuming he is the absolute answer isn’t much different that doing it with Teddy like we did last year. What did Rhule and Fitts say about drafting a QB?

You seriously think we'd trade a pick package including a second rounder for someone that we don't think is good enough to be a starter?

You're projecting your own feelings about Darnold onto the team because you want somebody else. I'm quoting what they've actually said about him.

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You seriously think we'd trade a pick package including a second rounder for someone that we don't think is good enough to be a starter?

You're projecting your own feelings about Darnold onto the team because you want somebody else. I'm quoting what they've actually said about him.

I think he is better than what they have now. If something better falls to them they should draft him. Since we are quoting what they said, “it doesn’t take us out of taking a quarterback” is exactly what our GM said after Darnold. That shows me they acquired him for in case one doesn’t fall to them (which it probably won’t).

• Pie 2

51 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It would be an open competition if we draft a QB. If Fields beats out Darnold as a starter then we spent a future 2nd on our backup, but probably have something in Fields. If Darnold wins out, let Fields sit and you have many options. Start Fields later, trade Darnold (if you pick up his 5th) after this year. Let Darnold go in FA and get a nice comp pick or if Darnold looks like the real deal you trade Fields (yeah you wasted a first, but you have your franchise guy for the next decade plus). The position has to be addressed and can’t have a constant revolving door. If our 8th pick helps solve it, then it’s a draft pick well spent.

You're going to be really upset if the Panthers don't draft Fields.😄

Joking aside, I think it would be a mistake to draft a round one QB while trying to rehab Darnold especially when the team doesn't have an established or good enough Oline to keep them upright. The LT position has been a constant revolving door for more years than the QB position. If our 8th pick helps solve it, then it's a draft pick well spent.😉

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can't get behind the idea of a quarterback competition on a team that still has a lot of needs.

(and no, quarterback isn't one of them)

Me either. Build the Oline to the point it is good and then worry about getting a franchise QB. Putting the cart before the horse is never a good idea.

19 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

QB is by far the biggest hole in our roster. If we stop looking for QBs because we got Darnold...this franchise deserves to be terrible.    

QB is a hole, but it's not the biggest. The Panthers are not ready to compete for a championship nor just a QB away from doing so. Build the team and most importantly the Oline and then worry about the QB. There is no point in having a franchise guy if they can't protect him long enough to do his job.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think they'll take a QB in the mid to late rounds as a backup and developmental guy, but not as someone to compete with Darnold for the starting job.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think he is better than what they have now. If something better falls to them they should draft him. Since we are quoting what they said, “it doesn’t take us out of taking a quarterback” is exactly what our GM said after Darnold. That shows me they acquired him for in case one doesn’t fall to them (which it probably won’t).

That's what I've seen a lot of Darnold critics say. It's completely off the mark and ignores what's known about the trade.

They started exploring Darnold right after they lost out on Stafford. The reason it didn't happen sooner was because Joe Douglas wanted to wait until they'd evaluated all their draft prospects. The final details were actually hammered out at Justin Fields pro day.

Add in that both Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer were high on Darnold already, Rhule from having talked with him previously and Fitterer from having evaluated him the year he was drafted. They also went through the film of his entire career with the Jets back in March before making the decision to trade for him.

This wasn't just some last minute, spur of the moment decision.

Could they take another quarterback? Sure, but what people need to realize is that their having a low opinion of Darnold doesn't mean that the team does.

If the team had the kind of opinion that some fans think they do, they wouldn't have traded for him in the first place.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's what I've seen a lot of Darnold critics say. It's completely off the mark and ignores what's known about the trade.

They started exploring Darnold right after they lost out on Stafford. The reason it didn't happen sooner was because Joe Douglas wanted to wait until they'd evaluated all their draft prospects. The final details were actually hammered out at Justin Fields pro day.

Add in that both Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer were high on Darnold already, Rhule from having talked with him previously and Fitterer from having evaluated him the year he was drafted. They also went through the film of his entire career with the Jets back in March before making the decision to trade for him.

This wasn't just some last minute, spur of the moment decision.

Could they take another quarterback? Sure, but what people need to realize is that their having a low opinion of Darnold doesn't mean that the team does.

If the team had the kind of opinion that some fans think they do, they wouldn't have traded for him in the first place.

Now they are going to Fields second pro day right? I really don’t think he will be there at 8, and I will never be mad at drafting a LT. I just don’t like the idea of picking up players like Teddy, Sam, or QBs other teams don’t really want and thinking we can make them something better. I see Darnold has upside, but a top 10 pick should almost always considers QBs in that draft unless you have a proven player at the position. The Niners showed everyone how much it costs to trade up from the middle to get one and the price might go up in the future.

• Pie 1