• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy will likely get cut if we can’t trade him.

Ja  Rhule

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Darnold has never played an entire season. If he is actually gonna be good like so many posters here seem to think mayyyyybe we should have a quality backup that can come in for a game or four.

I'd prefer a really bad backup that just launches the ball downfield at will.  I'm talking Jake Rudock, Matt Barkley quality.

22 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I 100% agree.  You cut him and the Saints scoop him up, never just give a divisional rival a deal like that. He can stay here as a backup, and we continue to seek a trade.

If not traded now, teams will still be looking for QB depth after the draft and before camps start.

If you don't trade him by then, you simply stay patient. There are always injuries/situations that will have teams needing a QB during the season. 

ding ding ding

If he gets cut watch him go to the Saints lol

If we can't trade him, have him and Darnold battle it out in camp. Worst case scenario maybe he actually shows the f*ck up with real competition at the position

26 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I 100% agree.  You cut him and the Saints scoop him up, never just give a divisional rival a deal like that. He can stay here as a backup, and we continue to seek a trade.

If not traded now, teams will still be looking for QB depth after the draft and before camps start.

If you don't trade him by then, you simply stay patient. There are always injuries/situations that will have teams needing a QB during the season. 

I agree with this I just worry Bridgeburner's presence brings bad vibes to the team when we need Darnold to take the reigns. Call it the Steve Smith reasoning.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Dumb to cut him. Too much money. Make his cocky ass a backup. And make him shut down his dumbass burner accounts 

He banked $20m last year and looks to do the same this - do you think he has any time to care about what we think about him!?

1 hour ago, saX man said:

There's really no point to keep him.  We've got our new QB and we still have our primary backup in PJ "tank commander XFL" Walker if Darnold isn't the guy.

I suspect he goes to Houston or Denver.

If cut post-June 1st, we're still eating $15 mil but we're also saving $8 mil towards the cap.  Without a cut we're just wasting all of the money.  Then next year it's just $5 mil dead cap to eat and we save $21 mil. 

We've already made our big FA moves so just cut the kid if we can't ship him.  We seemed to have worked our cap situation to work with or without his contract.   

You have to factor in his replacement so it isn't 8.million savings. And if Darnold goes down given he has only played 16 games one season then who is the backup? Grier or PJ? Or do we draft a guy. Seems to me that the little we save isn't worth cutting him. If we don't trade him which I think we will, we need to keep him and dump him next year. Cap room isn't an issue this year and we are one of the few teams that can say that.

56 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I agree with this I just worry Bridgeburner's presence brings bad vibes to the team when we need Darnold to take the reigns. Call it the Steve Smith reasoning.

Bridgeburner?

Teddy is and always has been a model team player, great locker room/team culture guy, and real American hero.

• Poo 1

30 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You have to factor in his replacement so it isn't 8.million savings. And if Darnold goes down given he has only played 16 games one season then who is the backup? Grier or PJ? Or do we draft a guy. Seems to me that the little we save isn't worth cutting him. If we don't trade him which I think we will, we need to keep him and dump him next year. Cap room isn't an issue this year and we are one of the few teams that can say that.

If we're cutting him we're rolling with Walker and using that $ elsewhere.  Maybe we land Mond or Mills, but meh.  Most backups are 1-5 mil/yr so we're actually saving a fair amount even though we eat dead money. For me--I'd rather roll with Darnold+Walker and no TB with 7.95 mil to spend than Darnold, 23 mil towards a backup, & no extra savings.

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Who cares if he goes to the Saints? They couldn't win anything that mattered with Brees - what are they gonna do with Teddy? The Saints are defined by their defense and have been for a decade now. I'd be more concerned (though perhaps not much) about Jameis figuring things out than Teddy.

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

After a few months of the team putting out negative press about him this should be common sense but somehow people still aren't reading the tea leaves.

• Pie 1