• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft rumors

Basbear

I think it is funny how foreign an idea is that does not fit into our mindsets--so when I hear Verge mention Waddle, I want to correct her and explain why this is not possible.

What does a LT do?  Keep a defender off your QB.  What does a slot WR with Moore and Anderson do?  Keep a potential blitzer off your qb.  he gives your QB a clearer pre snap read.  He finds the third DB and makes (at times) a LB cover your TE.  Notice I have not mentioned catching passes yet?

Last year, the problem was not LT as much as it was the LT/LG combination.  While I do not think we are done, I think we think we addressed that on the first day of the free agent tampering period.  Erving and Elfein were targeted by us--why?

We also re-signed Scott.  Could Erving be the LG, Elfein the C?  Who knows where this goes, but I think we have NOT really addressed slot WR--We have #1, #2, and #4.  And don't get me started in the return game.  So yes, I see Waddle's value.

Are there WR weapons at 39?  Not on that level. 

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

While this is technically true, my general belief is that you can find above average WR play in Rounds 2 and 3 (or later) than you can above average offensive line play.  WRs coming out of college these days are simply more prepare to contribute early on in their career than offensive linemen, with the average NFL offense incorporating more and more concepts that originated in the college ranks (e.g. spread field, RPOs, etc).  Can you find good linemen later on? Yes.  I just think it's less likely.

So I would very much prefer to take a stud offensive linemen at 8 and then try to find your 3rd WR (yes, I understand that with Robby Anderson and DJ Moore's contracts being up next year, we may need to view this player as a No. 2--I don't think we'd lose both) than vice versa.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think it is funny how foreign an idea is that does not fit into our mindsets--so when I hear Verge mention Waddle, I want to correct her and explain why this is not possible.

What does a LT do?  Keep a defender off your QB.  What does a slot WR with Moore and Anderson do?  Keep a potential blitzer off your qb.  he gives your QB a clearer pre snap read.  He finds the third DB and makes (at times) a LB cover your TE.  Notice I have not mentioned catching passes yet?

Last year, the problem was not LT as much as it was the LT/LG combination.  While I do not think we are done, I think we think we addressed that on the first day of the free agent tampering period.  Erving and Elfein were targeted by us--why?

We also re-signed Scott.  Could Erving be the LG, Elfein the C?  Who knows where this goes, but I think we have NOT really addressed slot WR--We have #1, #2, and #4.  And don't get me started in the return game.  So yes, I see Waddle's value.

And while waddle will do all that it doesn’t solve the issue of trying to create some running lanes for our highly paid dynamic RB.  The OL can fix both.  

But I have enjoyed the new regime and if they want to go Waddle I will assume they have a plan for the OL.