• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jamarr chase at 8?

RIPTreyLance

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Totally agree.  The whole time I watched the SB I could not help but think exactly this.  However, @MHS831pointed out.  There are some good prospects in round 2.  As long as we don't wait for day three to come before we choose a OT.  I think we'll be ok. 

I don't doubt you can find some good interior lineman later in the draft. We need an good-great LT to hold things down for the next several year no matter who is behind center. They are a lot harder to find than Centers or Guards. The analyst are also saying that this is a very deep draft for receivers. I know we can find a quality WR later in the draft.

I'm in agreement with everyone who says we need to take Sewell or Slater if they are available.  I can see the reasoning for Pitts b/c he's such a freak of nature as a TE/WR. If he lives up to his potential I think we'd all be pleased with the selection. No way, would I use pick #8 for one of the receivers in this draft with all of our needs.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, musicman said:

LT Sewel 1st choice, Pitts 2nd but both won't be there. Slater or drop a few for another LT or top CB. No WR. It's not a need so drop back. 

I mean, there are only 7 picks ahead of us, with probably 4 QBs included in that.  So, we are going to get a STUD at a position of need fall to us, whether its Pitts, Chase, Sewell, etc....one of these guys is going to be there and we are going to hopefully pounce.  I do not want us to trade back this year.  We're in too sweet of a spot to take a game changer at 8.

• Pie 2

Let's assume 3 qbs go 1-3.

I think that leaves Sewell, Slater, Surtain, Horn, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Fields, Parsons, and maybe Lance on the board.  It would be silly with all of that talent on the board to lock in on 1 guy.  Especially with the holes on our roster.  I think the Panthers want to trade back, but not so far that they do not get one of these elite guys.

I'd feel good about trading back to 9-12  I would still get an elite difference-making player, probably pick up an extra 2nd or a 2022 first.  This gives me flexibility to move around and get whatever I didn't get in the 9-12 slot.  Could even slip back into the late first if someone I really like is dropping.

• Beer 1

I REALLY like Chase and i would be lying if i said i would be upset if we picked him. I do want an LT bad as well, i have done a couple mock drafts and everyone has a LTs still available when we pick in the second. All of them still way better than what we have now. Maybe the staff views the second round guys not that far off from the top first rounders. Who knows but im fine if LT is first priority in the end.

3 hours ago, Mills said:

Stick to your draft board and dont reach for need. If you have Chase rated above Slater, then fug it, trust your scouting and pull the trigger.

It would be hard to be mad at Chase in rd.1 and Eichenburg, Leatherwood etc. in rd.2. Adding talent to what was a talent deficient roster is the goal.

My fear is that we take Pitts, or Chase, in round 1 with the strategy of picking a LT (as you suggested above) in round 2. Then, right before we pick some shrew GM jumps ahead of us and grabs the LT we covet. If we think the guys mentioned above will drop, other GMs around league probably feel the same way. I could see someone trading back into the latter part of the 1st round to snatch a guy if they felt he could do the job which could leave us empty handed.

I remember our disastrous draft in 2016. We ended up drafting 3 CB's in a row coming because Gettleman played hardball with Josh Norman and rescinded the franchise tag.  Worley and Sanchez turned out to be wasted picks.  Bradberry was good, but he's no longer with us. I recall G-Man saying something along the lines of "the board didn't fall the way we thought".

I say grab the LT in round one "IF" you feel he's a can't miss prospect. I wouldn't even be opposed to grabbing another Tackle in round 2 because RT will be a position of need if we can't sign Moton to a long term deal after the 2021 season. If we do resign him, we could use the other guy for depth or move him inside to guard.

7 hours ago, OldhamA said:

If you're willing to take Pitts at #8 you should be willing to take a WR at #8.

I don't really want either one.

I remember everyone cheering when Ryan Grigson and the Colts kept drafting weapons for Andrew Luck while ignoring the offensive line. People were wishing we used that approach.

Look what happened there.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

According to Verge, there is a strong possibility we draft a WR--Waddle is the name she mentions repeatedly--And I agree with the OL comment--but here is how they might be looking at it:

We have addressed it by signing Scott and Erv at LT, Elfein at LG, Miller at RG, Tagging Moton.

I do not like Erv and Elf, but they seem to or they would not have offered multi-year contracts on the first day of tampering at about 8:30 AM

Has the verge guy gotten a single prediction right?

• Beer 1