• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Well Represented at Fields 2nd Pro Day

ncfan

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

So you would have passed on Herbert last year if he dropped to us since we had Teddy? He didn’t start over Taylor day one for SD. Mahomes was pick 11 and didn’t start day one.

The difference between those teams and the Panthers is they were in a much better position talent wise. The Chiefs in particular were a QB away. The Panthers are not.

6 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

No if Fields is there you take him period. Should have traded up to get him. We’re going to look back at Fields as a huge mistake. Sewell ain’t going to matter when you have bums throwing the ball. Just going to be a guy that leaves in 5 years or you have to tag. Teddy wasn’t it and I told y’all that when the move was made. Same way I’m screaming Darnold ain’t it. The answers are right there in our damn faces. 

Fields or any other QB won't matter if they can't protect him. I'd rather wait on the QB and make sure he can be protected rather than ruin him.

5 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

No he’s not. He’s a bum. He’s been in the league 3 years. Name me a damn player that turned into something different after 3 years in the league. He is who he is. A backup QB. 

There was this Cajun named Jake that did pretty well after being the league as a backup for 3 years.

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

No he’s not. He’s a bum. He’s been in the league 3 years. Name me a damn player that turned into something different after 3 years in the league. He is who he is. A backup QB. 

Steve Young

Ryan Tannehill

Rich Gannon

Trent Green

Aaron Rodgers

Terry Bradshaw

That was off the top of my head. 

Do I think he's going to be great? No, not really. But it HAS happened before so there is a chance he could be. 

• Pie 4

16 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

They will take Fields if he is there, but I doubt he is there and I believe they knew this, so they played themselves in a great position by getting another young QB with potential just in case. 

Ding Ding Ding. This isn't hard to understand.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The difference between those teams and the Panthers is they were in a much better position talent wise. The Chiefs in particular were a QB away. The Panthers are not.

Fields or any other QB won't matter if they can't protect him. I'd rather wait on the QB and make sure he can be protected rather than ruin him.

There was this Cajun named Jake that did pretty well after being the league as a backup for 3 years.

The Chargers have PLENTY of needs including offensive line. They were picking higher than we are this year with many holes. Guess what their biggest need is right now? Offensive line. Tackle and Guard. They had an opportunity to grab a top rated QB in the top 10 and used it on Herbert. He sat out at first and only played because that doctor punctured Taylor’s lung. QB is too important of a position to pass up. It’s much easier to find good linemen/any other position than a good QB. Browns got Baker first line later, Cardinals got Murray first line later, Bengals are doing the same with Burrow.

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The Chargers have PLENTY of needs including offensive line. They were picking higher than we are this year with many holes. Guess what their biggest need is right now? Offensive line. Tackle and Guard. They had an opportunity to grab a top rated QB in the top 10 and used it on Herbert. He sat out at first and only played because that doctor punctured Taylor’s lung. QB is too important of a position to pass up. It’s much easier to find good linemen/any other position than a good QB. Browns got Baker first line later, Cardinals got Murray first line later, Bengals are doing the same with Burrow.

The Chargers Oline was hampered by injuries more than anything else last year. It was supposed to be better than it ended up. I do remember seeing that they cut bait with Turner, so I'll give you that they have holes in their line. The Browns had a pretty good line before they drafted Baker and it has gotten better since then. The Bengals have drafted guys for their line before Burrow as well, but again, injuries took their toll. The Panthers haven't put in top or first round talent in their Oline since Jeff Otah in 2008 and only three Oline guys(tackles) have been drafted in the history of the franchise. They have drafted five LBs and four RBs in the first though. The Panthers have also only drafted two QBs, but both were top five picks that didn't fall in their respective drafts.

13 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The Chargers Oline was hampered by injuries more than anything else last year. It was supposed to be better than it ended up. I do remember seeing that they cut bait with Turner, so I'll give you that they have holes in their line. The Browns had a pretty good line before they drafted Baker and it has gotten better since then. The Bengals have drafted guys for their line before Burrow as well, but again, injuries took their toll. The Panthers haven't put in top or first round talent in their Oline since Jeff Otah in 2008 and only three Oline guys(tackles) have been drafted in the history of the franchise. They have drafted five LBs and four RBs in the first though. The Panthers have also only drafted two QBs, but both were top five picks that didn't fall in their respective drafts.

They may have drafted players high, but it is still listed as the top need for the Chargers after they got Herbert. That’s how we beat them last year (constant pressure on Herbert). Baker had no protection his first two seasons. They just addressed it last offseason. Teams know you can’t compete consistently without a QB. Once you find your guy, it’s much easier to address needs. We just pumped money into RT (franchise tag) and signed several guards/centers. Little was a LT high 2nd pick he just busted. You can only draft one position in the first (usually). So you can’t just go by first round picks. We haven’t picked a Safety in a looong time or CB since Gamble in the first, TE? can’t think of one? 

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They may have drafted players high, but it is still listed as the top need for the Chargers after they got Herbert. That’s how we beat them last year (constant pressure on Herbert). Baker had no protection his first two seasons. They just addressed it last offseason. Teams know you can’t compete consistently without a QB. Once you find your guy, it’s much easier to address needs. We just pumped money into RT (franchise tag) and signed several guards/centers. Little was a LT high 2nd pick he just busted. You can only draft one position in the first (usually). So you can’t just go by first round picks. We haven’t picked a Safety in a looong time or CB since Gamble in the first, TE? can’t think of one? 

If you want to be technical, Thomas Davis is the lone safety drafted in the first round by the Panthers, even if he ended up a LB. And yeah, Gamble was the last CB taken in the first. The Panthers have never drafted a TE in the first. Watch Pitts be there and this be the year even with QB and tackle prospects there.😆

But if you can't just go by first round picks, the Panthers should be able to find a franchise QB with a later pick.😉

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

So you would have passed on Herbert last year if he dropped to us since we had Teddy? He didn’t start over Taylor day one for SD. Mahomes was pick 11 and didn’t start day one.

Not just Patrick Mahomes. The last four NFL MVPs:

• Rodgers - sat three full seasons.
  • L. Jackson - sat 9 weeks. Started due to injury to Flacco. Though to be fair he played in every game in certain packages.
  • Mahomes - sat 16 weeks. Only played in Week 17 because KC was locked into the fourth seed and resting starters. 
  • Brady - sat 17 and half weeks. Started due to injury to Bledsoe. The rest, as they say, is history.

Even if we pick Fields, it might be a great idea to let him sit for a while and learn while Darnold plays.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

I share your skepticism but pickings are slim to say the least. I used to be where you are but eventually you have to release all that negative energy and let go of what was and embrace what will be both good and bad. I hope you find peace with it brother.

14 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Darnold was signed so we don’t have to choose between Mac at 8 (if all others went before) or Teddy for the season. 

Still could take Fields if he is there then have plenty of choice and time to decide who is better.

This is really all it is. We didn’t trade for Darnold knowing he would be our guy. It was a complete shot in the dark after Rhule decided he liked him and he still had a ton of potential. 

I’m very confident if Fields is available at 8 we take him  Figuring things out between Sam and Justin sounds a hell of a lot better than figuring them out between Mac and Teddy  

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Not just Patrick Mahomes. The last four NFL MVPs:

• Rodgers - sat three full seasons.
  • L. Jackson - sat 9 weeks. Started due to injury to Flacco. Though to be fair he played in every game in certain packages.
  • Mahomes - sat 16 weeks. Only played in Week 17 because KC was locked into the fourth seed and resting starters. 
  • Brady - sat 17 and half weeks. Started due to injury to Bledsoe. The rest, as they say, is history.

Even if we pick Fields, it might be a great idea to let him sit for a while and learn while Darnold plays.

Yeah makes too much sense right. I get people wanting a LT, but getting upset about the idea of taking a top QB that falls to us when we have other needs is odd to me. Every QB picked number one over all goes to a team with many needs...

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If you want to be technical, Thomas Davis is the lone safety drafted in the first round by the Panthers, even if he ended up a LB. And yeah, Gamble was the last CB taken in the first. The Panthers have never drafted a TE in the first. Watch Pitts be there and this be the year even with QB and tackle prospects there.😆

But if you can't just go by first round picks, the Panthers should be able to find a franchise QB with a later pick.😉

Ahh I forgot TD was a safety at first. Yeah we can get a QB later, they just have a MUCH smaller chance of working out and we would be drafting one just to do it. The whole point is that IF a top one falls to 8, we shouldn’t hesitate. Verge had a great post about the success of QBs taken past round one in the past decade. It was heavily favored by First Rounders. I think Dak might be one of the rare ones that is a great QB taken after round one in that past decade.

• Pie 1