• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st round mock draft w/ trades

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

No it’s not. People are overlooking Teven Jenkins. Sewell is the only clear cut safe pick at OT in this draft. I like Slater a lot but he has huge bust potential playing LT. Slater is a guard on my board. If we didn’t have such a need at LT, I wouldn’t even consider thinking of Slater as a tackle. 

Well, luckily you aren't doing our drafting.

• Pie 2
40 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Too far of a drop. We would miss out on the only 2 plug and play LT in the draft 

Like I said, I don’t think Slater is a tackle. I think the only three legit day 1 plug and play LTs are Sewell, Teven and Eichenberg. 

12 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Like I said, I don’t think Slater is a tackle. I think the only three legit day 1 plug and play LTs are Sewell, Teven and Eichenberg. 

Yeah I've heard Slater could be a great guard or a solid LT

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
2 hours ago, BrianS said:

There is no compelling reason for the Patriots to move to 8 if Mac Jones is their target in that scenario.  They'll be able to sit where they are and get him.  In that scenario, we are the team next most likely to take a QB before the Patriots pick at 15.

This^^

I was thinking the same thing. They wouldn't need to trade up to 8 to get Jones in this draft. It's trading up just to trade up and I can't see that happening. If you had Fields there then maybe they would want to trade up but not if it's Jones. If SF doesn't take him at 3 then he should be there at 15 I think. Especially since you have Denver trading up to 4 for Lance. I also don't see that happening either. 

I do think the Flacons want to trade down there as they don't want to draft a QB now and I don't care what the tv's talking heads say but I don't think the interested teams will want to trade up to 4 for their QB because they don't have to. 

The best scenario for Atlanta trading down from 4 I hadn't considered until I saw it from 1 talking head and it made the most sense to me. I can't remember who it was but they had Atlanta trading down with Miami so they could leap frog Cincinnati, then had them trading down to the Pats because SF took Jones and the Pats prefer Fields. That would cost the Pats 1 pick less and the Dolphins could afford it and might if hey thought they'd lose their guy to the Bengals. 

In that case, the next move could potentially come from WFT to get Lance. That trade would put us down lower than I think we'd want to be but the price would be potentially high enough that we could then use some of those trade pick to move up a few spots for our guy thereby gaining some picks and staying in the top 15 IF we could find a willing 2nd partner. 

And about Slater? That dude is definitely an LT. I don't believe that nonsense about him being more of a guard. In a ZBS, he's definitely an LT

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 1
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

This^^

I was thinking the same thing. They wouldn't need to trade up to 8 to get Jones in this draft. It's trading up just to trade up and I can't see that happening. If you had Fields there then maybe they would want to trade up but not if it's Jones. If SF doesn't take him at 3 then he should be there at 15 I think. Especially since you have Denver trading up to 4 for Lance. I also don't see that happening either. 

I do think the Flacons want to trade down there as they don't want to draft a QB now and I don't care what the tv's talking heads say but I don't think the interested teams will want to trade up to 4 for their QB because they don't have to. 

The best scenario for Atlanta trading down from 4 I hadn't considered until I saw it from 1 talking head and it made the most sense to me. I can't remember who it was but they had Atlanta trading down with Miami so they could leap frog Cincinnati, then had them trading down to the Pats because SF took Jones and the Pats prefer Fields. That would cost the Pats 1 pick less and the Dolphins could afford it and might if hey thought they'd lose their guy to the Bengals. 

In that case, the next move could potentially come from WFT to get Lance. That trade would put us down lower than I think we'd want to be but the price would be potentially high enough that we could then use some of those trade pick to move up a few spots for our guy thereby gaining some picks and staying in the top 15 IF we could find a willing 2nd partner. 

If four QBs go consecutively with the top 4 pick, someone needing a QB badly will move up. The pats can’t sit still if they want Mac/Fields/Lance. They have to worry about WFT or Chicago making the move up in front of them. Our phone will be ringing because we have Darnold now. For Miami, I do not see them moving up higher than the 6th. They already sent Philly a future 1st to move back up to the 6th. They are targeting a couple guys that they know will be available at 6th. That’s why they ended up there. I’m sure they have talked to Atlanta and Cincy already and got a “no thank you” before making the deal with Philly. It doesn’t make any sense to move up again now. 

Edited by Trainwreck
  • Pie 1
12 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

I think you get yourself an all pro guard with Slater or a project LT/solid RT. 

I a Man scheme yes, he's probably a guard but in a Zone scheme he's an LT. He's small for an LT but in zone that doesn't matter. He's faster, stronger and more technical than Sewell. I actually prefer him for us over Sewell as he fits our scheme better. ZBS needs smaller, quicker more technical lineman to be effective. I think Slater is the perfect fit for us at 8 and I think we take him even if Sewell is there too. 

In ZBS tackles are often asked to move across the line or into the next level to cover their zones which is why the speed and technical skills are more important than size and overall power

This also explains our 2 FA OL signings. While neither are the most powerful lineman, they both posses the quickness and movement skills we covet plus they can play multiple positions. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 3
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I a Man scheme yes, he's probably a guard but in a Zone scheme he's an LT. He's small for an LT but in zone that doesn't matter. He's faster, stronger and more technical than Sewell. I actually prefer him for us over Sewell as he fits our scheme better. ZBS needs smaller, quicker more technical lineman to be effective. I think Slater is the perfect fit for us at 8 and I think we take him even if Sewell is there too. 

Imo, Moton is a better LT than Slater. If you want to move Moton to LT (dont see happening) and play Slater at RT, in all for it. I think Slater’s future is at guard in the NFL. Doesn’t matter who takes him. 

Edited by Trainwreck
6 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Imo, Moton is a better LT than Slater. If you want to move Moton to LT (dont see happening) and play Slater at RT, in all for it. I think Slater’s future is at guard in the NFL. Doesn’t matter who takes him. 

May I ask you why? What do you see or not see in Slater that makes you think he can't play LT? Have you watched the game where he shut down Chase and only allowed 1 hurry in the whole game and zero sacks?

He dominated the DRY in 2020. 

Just some examples

Edited by Panthers Rhule
3 hours ago, Louie said:

I really hope we can get Sewell. We haven't had a good LT since Jordan Gross retired. If not Sewell, I want Slater!

Yeah 

let’s not overthink it. fuging OT in the first and the second .

• Pie 1
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

May I ask you why? What do you see or not see in Slater that makes you think he can't play LT? Have you watched the game where he shut down Chase and only allowed 1 hurry in the whole game and zero sacks?

He dominated the DRY in 2020. 

I wouldn’t call it “dominated” Chase. That’s my problem with Slater. I like him but I don’t love him. Chase had one heck of a rookie year. People went back and look two years ago and are losing their mind seeing that he played well against Chase. Now, people are over hyping him way too much. He’s an athletic kid and workouts are intriguing but being athletic doesn’t always translate to being a LT in the NFL. Again, he would be my #3 or #4 LT but #1 guard. 

Edited by Trainwreck
  • Pie 1