• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st round mock draft w/ trades

6 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

I wouldn’t call it “dominated” Chase. That’s my problem with Slater. I like him but I don’t love him. Chase had one heck of a rookie year. People went back and look two years ago and are losing their mind seeing that he played well against Chase. Now, people are over hyping him way too much. He’s an athletic kid and workouts are intriguing but being athletic doesn’t always translate to being a LT in the NFL. Again, he would be my #3 or #4 LT but #1 guard. 

Fair enough. I respect your opinion and I've enjoyed this discussion with you. I will say that the Zone blocking scheme is so important in how you evaluate OL though. If you aren't very familiar with the difference between it and the Man/power blocking scheme I highly recommend reading up on it. I'm not saying that you haven't but only if you aren't really familiar with it I think  it's definitely worth the study. I only did it a few months ago and it definitely changed the way I looked at offensive line play and helped me understand what the Panthers are trying to do on the OL. 

This was a good topic by the way and a nice discussion. 

• Pie 2
2 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Fair enough. I respect your opinion and I've enjoyed this discussion with you. I will say that the Zone blocking scheme is so important in how you evaluate OL though. If you aren't very familiar with the difference between it and the Man/power blocking scheme I highly recommend reading up on it. I'm not saying that you haven't but only if you aren't really familiar with it I think  it's definitely worth the study. I only did it a few months ago and it definitely changed the way I looked at offensive line play and helped me understand what the Panthers are trying to do on the OL. 

This was a good topic by the way and a nice discussion. 

Thanks. You’re very knowledgeable. I don’t know as much as you but yes certain players have to play in certain scheme to be successful. That is why many and myself are eager to see what Darnold can do in a new system and coaching staff. Like I said, I don’t dislike Slater at all. I like him as a tackle. I love him more as a guard. If Fitterer takes Slater at 8 and tells us that Slater is going to play guard the next 10 years, I’d jump for joy. 

19 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

A line full of tackles sounds beautiful 

LT Penei Sewell

LG Greg Little

C Cam Erving (played LT before)

RG Alex Leatherwood 

RT Taylor Moton

You’re welcome 

• Beer 1
7 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

Thanks. You’re very knowledgeable. I don’t know as much as you but yes certain players have to play in certain scheme to be successful. That is why many and myself are eager to see what Darnold can do in a new system and coaching staff. Like I said, I don’t dislike Slater at all. I like him as a tackle. I love him more as a guard. If Fitterer takes Slater at 8 and tells us that Slater is going to play guard the next 10 years, I’d jump for joy. 

Here are 2 examples of ZBS in action for the run and the pass. Notice how the lineman do not focus on the player in front of them but are instead moving into positions or "zones" and are screening the defensive players while moving and actually "blocking" only when they reach their zone. Most of the lineman don't actually have to block anyone on these plays only allow them to move in a certain direction or just get in their way. See how far some players are moving. This is why speed is more important than power and ZBS requires players who can move. Not all OL can do this.

RUN

49ers-play2.gif

PASS

packers-pass-play4.gif

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 2
13 hours ago, irrevalentfalconsfan said:

As a Falcons fan, I really hope that we don't take Philips. I'm loving Kyle Pitts, especially with Arthur Smith and his TE Sets. We have thrown so many smokescreens, though, so honestly I have no clue what we're doing.

This post is irrelevant 

• Pie 1
15 hours ago, Memphis said:

I do not see us trading down from #8 with Sewell available.

Haven't seen Jaelen Philips that high before though I really like him.

If I were the Fins I wouldn't pick a RB with #18. Deep class. Also don't see 2 RBs going in round 1. Not even sure 1.

I have to agree with this.  I don't think we can pass on a 10 to 12 year LT. It was awesome that each year we went into the draft we didn't have to worry about a LT when we had Gross.  

So if Sewell is there.  We take him.

• Pie 1

What did we get as compensation for trading back? But yea regardless, Sewell is the pick. Even if we got a future 1, plenty of teams are willing to give up two 1’s for a stud LT, so I don’t even few that trade as a win. 

• Pie 1
14 hours ago, Trainwreck said:

Patriots 15th and 46th this year and their 2022 2nd. 

We better get more than 2nds to move down 8 spots.  I'd want a future 1st round pick if we were going to move back that far. For one, I think there's a talent drop off after the top 12 picks or so, so dropping down to 15 potentially takes you out of range to get some of the higher end talent in the draft.  And secondly, the team trading up is doing so for a QB.  Sure, it's the 5th QB on the board and Mac Jones is polarizing, but if a a team is trading up to grab a QB, the value of your pick is a bit more than it would be otherwise due to the crazy QB carousel we've seen this year.  So we should be able to extract more value from that team/

• Pie 1