• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No Pitts? Slater gone? Pene off the board?

7 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

The early corners in this draft scare me. I'd rather wait until the 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah they always scare me first round same with QBs and LTs but also same as those, elite CBs are rarely found after the 1st. It's possible same as with QBs and LTs but rare compared to other positions. 

6 minutes ago, MilkyCastles said:

I guess it depends on how you view Fields. I think fields is QB2 in this draft, think there’s 0% chance he makes it past SF. But agreed, if the Panthers don’t view him as such then for sure he would net us a future 1 at the very least. Gonna be a fun draft either way. Unlike most years you really can’t project much after pick 2. 

I didn't mean it as an evaluation of Fields, there are many other topics for that, I was only speaking specifically about this trade back scenario. The only way I could see this happening was if it were for Fields or Lance. But yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what we do in this draft. Especially after the last one. 

• Pie 1

The early corners in this draft scare me. I'd rather wait until the 2nd or 3rd.

Surtain, Farley, and Horn all have concerns. None are as complete as the 1st round talent in other drafts, but with some coaching up I think Horn has the most potential. There are a lot of possibly good projects in rounds 2-4 but when is it too high of a pick to spent on a project?

• Beer 1

If we go corner all eyes on Asante Samuel Jr in the 2nd. 

As far as Pitts... If he's not there and we had to go TE.. Pat Freirmuth would be a very solid pickup...just not @ pick # 8.  

In that same situation at tackle... it depends on what we're doing with Moton. If they are preparing to shift him left then that opens quite a bit of moves.

You dont have to be a 1st rounder to be good tackle. OT is deep luckily.. Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Jenkins, Eichenberg, Christensen, Radunz(high upside project), Trey Smith, AVT etc. 5 of the above could step in day one and start. 

To get back to the topic though: If Pitts, Slater and Sewell were gone the pick at BPA would be Chase far before Horn. 

Joe Brady is already familiar with the kid too. I just cant see him falling past the Lions in any scenario. Then again I never would have expected Henry Ruggs to be the first WR off the board last year.  You just never know. 

• Pie 1

If all those players are gone by the time we pick, it means either Justin Fields or Trey Lance is available (Mac Jones too but big no to him) OR Jamar Chase.  

If it’s this situation, i’d try to trade down and if we can’t (Would find it hard to do so since at least one team will be trying to grab that QB)...We have to go QB or Jamar Chase. 

With top 10 pick you have to go with potential franchise QB or BPA that has elite talent. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

As far as Pitts... If he's not there and we had to go TE.. Pat Freirmuth would be a very solid pickup...just not @ pick # 8.  

You dont have to be a 1st rounder to be good tackle. OT is deep luckily.. Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Jenkins, Eichenberg, Christensen, Radunz(high upside project), Trey Smith, AVT etc. 5 of the above could step in day one and start. 

I see Pitts as more of a WR than a TE. He's almost the exact size of Calvin Johnson with speed and great hands.

The problem with only looking at position listed as OT is you must consider their skill set. We use a Zone blocking scheme. Only half of those OTs fit us and none are nearly as good as Slater. 

• Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I see Pitts as more of a WR than a TE. He's almost the exact size of Calvin Johnson with speed and great hands.

The problem with only looking at position listed as OT is you must consider their skill set. We use a Zone blocking scheme. Only half of those OTs fit us and none are nearly as good as Slater. 

True !!! ... Scheme is everything. That's another reason I wasnt that moved by the Erving from Dallas signing. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure the Cowboys run a zone blocking scheme as well. Dealing with this class I think majority of who I listed would convert successfully just based off their mobile and athletic ability.. Sewell and Vera Tucker imo could compete if not out perform Slater. I'd agree he has the heads up on the rest of that group. But right under Slater you still have Darrisaw and maybe Cosmi. If not 5 then def 4 could start for us right now. Assuming they all have the proper coordination.. if they lack technique we can all hope the right coaching can get that line. 

Surtain is our security blanket here.  Starts right away and will have growing pains but dude is solid as they come.  I like Horns upside and a major competitor but could be a PI machine.  Surtain’s football IQ at the position makes him the pick.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Surtain is our security blanket here.  Starts right away and will have growing pains but dude is solid as they come.  I like Horns upside and a major competitor but could be a PI machine.  Surtain’s football IQ at the position makes him the pick.

That's the thing...we just happened to be in the position to get either:

#4-5: QB

#1-2: LT 

#1: OG or OC

#1:LB or DT

#1:RB or TE

#1:FS or SS 

# 1-2: WR 

Common Logic would say select one of the "1's" unless the # 2-4 qb falls. I still believe if Fields gets past ATL he'll be there when we pick and thatll ultimately be our selection unless someone trades infront of us. IMO, the Falcons might suprise us all and pick up Pitts. I could very well see that scenario panning out.