• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who's your tradeback partner and why?

TheBigKat

6 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Lance falling could be the best thing for us for a trade back situation.

Some of the smartest drafting teams are ones that have traded back, received extra picks and continually trade one of those away per year to gain more. Look what Miami has done with the Tonsil picks (minus their trade back up)

Fit seems to be of that mindset. I think a trade back for future 1st's makes sense given the needs on the roster. We are still in a rebuild..

But that's the point. Miami could afford to trade up because it spent years trading back and accumulating a surplus of picks. Carolina should get on that train too. Trading down at 8 is a no-brainer if the appropriate value is there. 

Edited by Smittymoose
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  I'm not a big Lance fan, but come on.  Trey Lance is a much better athlete than Sam Darnold.

You can argue a lot of things in Darnold's favor . . . NFL experience, age . . . huh.  That's not really a lot of things.

Honestly, let's say Lance is there at eight.  You've already got Darnold for a second and some change.  Assuming your staff believe in him, you draft Lance.  Your overall investment at QB is a first and a second.  If you get a franchise guy out of that investment, you're STILL ahead of the curve statistically.

Not to mention Lance needs someone to sit behind

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  I'm not a big Lance fan, but come on.  Trey Lance is a much better athlete than Sam Darnold.

You can argue a lot of things in Darnold's favor . . . NFL experience, age . . . huh.  That's not really a lot of things.

Honestly, let's say Lance is there at eight.  You've already got Darnold for a second and some change.  Assuming your staff believe in him, you draft Lance.  Your overall investment at QB is a first and a second.  If you get a franchise guy out of that investment, you're STILL ahead of the curve statistically.

If you really like Fields or Lance more than finding your left tackle for a decade then you pull the trigger. Or if drafting a project is so compelling you ignore the opportunity to move back in the first round and  get another first round pick and more and still get your franchise LT then go for it. But I think the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction where athleticism now becomes more important than all the skills that have made quarterbacks successful in the NFL for forever. It is like we can teach everything but athleticism despite the reality that doesn't seem to be true.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

Fit seems to be of that mindset. I think a trade back for future 1st's makes sense given the needs on the roster. We are still in a rebuild..

I thought that about Fit as well but Seahawks have three draft picks this year.

Yikes

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

If you really like Fields or Lance more than finding your left tackle for a decade then you pull the trigger. Or if drafting a project is so compelling you ignore the opportunity to move back in the first round and  get another first round pick and more and still get your franchise LT then go for it. But I think the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction where athleticism now becomes more important than all the skills that have made quarterbacks successful in the NFL for forever. It is like we can teach everything but athleticism despite the reality that doesn't seem to be true.

I completely agree.  This was always my concern for Cam, which unfortunately came to fruition.  It's no different for Darnold, Fields or Lance.  To me, the most important part of being a QB in the NFL is being able to throw the ball effectively from the pocket.  Everything else is icing.

My point above was that if your differentiating factor is athleticism, and you're talking about a Darnold / Lance comparison . . . Darnold doesn't win.  Lance is a better athlete.

Is Lance a better QB?  I dunno.  I'm not his biggest fan, but I haven't seen anything from Darnold either.  What I can say is that given comparable arm talent, Lance has managed to take care of the ball better at his level.  Does that translate to the NFL?  Man, if I knew the answer to that I'd be making a LOT of money as a player personnel guy.

• Pie 2

45 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I completely agree.  This was always my concern for Cam, which unfortunately came to fruition.  It's no different for Darnold, Fields or Lance.  To me, the most important part of being a QB in the NFL is being able to throw the ball effectively from the pocket.  Everything else is icing.

My point above was that if your differentiating factor is athleticism, and you're talking about a Darnold / Lance comparison . . . Darnold doesn't win.  Lance is a better athlete.

Is Lance a better QB?  I dunno.  I'm not his biggest fan, but I haven't seen anything from Darnold either.  What I can say is that given comparable arm talent, Lance has managed to take care of the ball better at his level.  Does that translate to the NFL?  Man, if I knew the answer to that I'd be making a LOT of money as a player personnel guy.

I agree that Darnold has a lot to prove as well. But if Brady's system is as quarterback friendly as it is supposed to be then that could fix many of the issues he had.  Kalil noted that Gase didn't allow Darnold to change plays or make adjustments after the play was called in. So this system will be night and day different. We will see if Darnold can read defenses presnap and make adjustments. It could be like starting all over again from a football knowledge point of view.  Hopefully the three years of experience has at least help slow down the game for Darnold. I expect if he starts for us, there will be a big learning curve. Thank goodness for 3 preseason games. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, jfra78 said:

giphy (13).gif

Hah! I think that guy is a fanboy blogger who is making more of a generic report than is really there. Basically of course they’d “explore” it to see if they can get a good deal,  like every team should, but I don’t think they are getting 7 or 8 for a third rounder if QBs are still on the board. It’s not going to happen because the cost will be more than they’re willing to give up for a WR. 

On 4/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, TheBigKat said:

Chicago sitting at 20 knows they must get a QB

Pace and Nagy are on HOT SEATS

Trey Lance is sitting there at 8

Chicago sends

2021: 1st, 2nd

2022: 1st, 5th

Carolina sends:

2021: 1st

2022: 6th

Carolina gets ammo to make up for 2022 second rounder for Darnold and get a lineman like Slater at 20

You lost all credibility when you said Slater at 20......he will be gone LONG before that pick