• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are You Really Against Fields or Lance if they fall to #8...

SetfreexX

TL may be the only sure-thing as far as QB's go. The other top 4 QB prospects all have their +'s and some have a ton of possible upside, but are they really going to be "The Guy." Now compare them to Sam D. He has a lot of upside but hasn't reached his potential in NY (His Fault/Jet's Fault, Who Knows?). Is he "The Guy"? Can he be the "Guy"? I think if the Panthers are Drafting anyone but Lawrence they are betting that they can bring out their best, just like I have to think they are betting they can do that with Sam (They are treating him has if he's coming out of college kinda).

I think they will not take another QB (especially not Lance or Jones), because they are thinking they can fix Darnold. They will draft a LT (maybe Pitts if he's there) or Trade Back.  

I swear people only want him just because he's been hyped as the 2nd best QB for like a year now. 

There is a reason he is falling though, and that's because he has been greatly overrated. He played with elite talent and still underperformed. Ohio State QBs are always system babies. When you look at his highlights its mostly him just arm punting it to people who are wide ass open, which is not a good thing.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I swear people only want him just because he's been hyped as the 2nd best QB for like a year now. 

There is a reason he is falling though, and that's because he has been greatly overrated. He played with elite talent and still underperformed. Ohio State QBs are always system babies. When you look at his highlights its mostly him just arm punting it to people who are wide ass open, which is not a good thing.

Justin Fields' isn't part of the Urban Meyer QB system.  So the but he is an Ohio St QB narrative doesn't fly.  That narrative was about Urban's guys at Ohio St and they followed the same trajectory that the his guys at Florida did in the NFL. 

Fields is falling for the same reason Watson did IMO.  And it isn't overrated.  Some of it is QB fatigue.  Fields has been 1b with Trevor for too long.    Nitpicking nothing and then giving the benefit of the doubt to others (Wilson). And some of it is simply old NFL coaching staff's simply prefer more traditional QB play (Mac).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Much better organizations usually have an older established vet at QB, a better overall team, and can afford to let a guy sit for a year or two. The Panthers aren't in that position.

Being all in on Darnold is no more dangerous than being all in on an unproven rookie draft pick.

New England and Green Bay had established vet starters and could afford to slowly bring a guy along. And exactly how many of those New England guys have been successes outside of New England's system?

What if the staff think Darnold is a bona fide NFL franchise QB and don't see the need to draft a QB? What if they draft a rookie who plays and he ends up beyond mediocre?

LT is such an important spot to get right that IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, when you're in position to take one, you do so if you believe in him. Now replace LT with CB, guard, center, safety, etc and you have the current Panthers. The FO may believe Darnold is a franchise QB. If that is the case and Sewell or Slater is there, the team should take whichever is there instead of trading back.

All in is ignoring options to upgrade the position. This is dangerous on a QB who has already had issues in the league, but I do see some potential. Taking a QB that falls to 8 and letting them compete with Darnold is not “all in”. It’s more of a BPA position. Unless you have a proven franchise player at that position you should always be open to upgrading the position.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Let me get this straight.

You're saying that a QB with a 20 - 2 record, 67 TD's against 9 INT's, with a 70% completion rate . . . underperformed?  What more could he possibly have done?!?!?!  Did he have bad games?  Sure, he did.  Please, find me a QB who hasn't had some bad games.  I'll wait.

I'd sure love to get us an underperforming QB like that here in Carolina.

Edited by BrianS

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

We aren’t all in on Darnold.  Just like we weren’t all in on Teddy.  

and drafting a QB means we wouldn’t be all in on him.  

Can you read minds? How do you know they weren't all in with Teddy or thinking they are all in on Darnold? The Panthers signed Teddy for over 60 million. Cam was making less when he was a Panther. Going by the contract, they were all in on Teddy.

10 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

If Darnold WAS a franchise QB he wouldn't have been available for what boils down to a future 2nd. If he was this sure thing NYJ is the perfect position have cashed in that pick for a kings ransom. I covered this already. 

QB is the single most important position to get right on a team, OL is a UNIT, having a good LT is great BUT it is not the end all be all. This day and age you NEED a legit star caliber QB. There were several teams that make the playoffs year in and out with middle of the pack OL's -- BUT they have a QB. 

Aside from protecting your QB being able to get after one is also just as important. If a top QB prospect and SeWell or Slater are the choice you take the QB. Good OL are available at the top of Day 2, and guess where we pick....the top of Day 2. 

When you get the QB right, you're in a better position to get everything else right, then it will come down to competent roster management, we will ALSO have the money to BUY a LT if that's the case 2022 forward. Plenty of options to solidify the OL, less options to solidify QB with a top 10 prospect. 

Just because the Jets haven't traded the pick yet doesn't mean they couldn't trade it draft day and still get a QB they want before the Panthers pick. The Panthers brain trust might have a different opinion than you do about Darnold. They might think he is a franchise guy.

The Panthers had a legit star caliber QB with a crap Oline. How well did that work out for them? How many back to back winning seasons did they have with that star QB? How many superbowls did that star QB win for them?

You're assuming other teams won't take that good OL late in the first or before the Panthers pick in the second.

7 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Let me get this straight.

You're saying that a QB with a 20 - 2 record, 67 TD's against 9 INT's, with a 70% completion rate . . . underperformed?  What more could he possibly have done?!?!?!  Did he have bad games?  Sure, he did.  Please, find me a QB who hasn't had some bad games.  I'll wait.

I'd sure love to get us an underperforming QB like that here in Carolina.

Lol I know right. He is a system baby, but he also underperformed. He is throwing every excuse out there, true or not.

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

All in is ignoring options to upgrade the position. This is dangerous on a QB who has already had issues in the league, but I do see some potential. Taking a QB that falls to 8 and letting them compete with Darnold is not “all in”. It’s more of a BPA position. Unless you have a proven franchise player at that position you should always be open to upgrading the position.

And the Panthers braintrust may think Darnold is a franchise guy.