• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are You Really Against Fields or Lance if they fall to #8...

SetfreexX

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

That wasn't opening day of offseason training either.  Again, they were there for the first one, that should be enough.  Not everyone had a second Pro Day, actually, nearly all prospects don't.

And there's no guarantee that they liked what they saw at that first one either, especially given that more than one source has indicated the Panthers aren't high on Lance.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

It's a fact that nobody from the Panthers are at his 2nd pro day.  That's telling 

Or they are trying to create the illusion that they aren’t interested so other teams might not feel the need to jump ahead of us in the draft.

this time of year you really don’t know for sure 

• Pie 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

Or they are trying to create the illusion that they aren’t interested so other teams might not feel the need to jump ahead of us in the draft.

this time of year you really don’t know for sure 

I get that everybody thinks everything is a smokescreen, but again that doesn't happen nearly as much as fans think it does.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I get that everybody thinks everything is a smokescreen, but again that doesn't happen nearly as much as fans think it does.

Happened with Russel Wilson...

Seriosely though, if I had to bet I would agree with you that we probably aren’t interested, but to make absolute statements is asinine at this time of year.

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I like lance.  I think he will be there at 8.  However he is a long long way from being a nfl starter.  That's not really debatable.  I also think rhule and Co either didn't like what they saw or didn't want a huge project at pick 8.  Maybe both.   

From what I heard and read this past week it sounds like fields is going to be dropping.  Lots of noise about his throwing motion and slow going through progressions.   Listen to Chris simms break him down on the ringer podcast

That's fine if we pass on Fields and/or Lance as long as we get the capital for passing.  Someone will jump up.  Taking a non-QB position at #8 with one or both still on the board and not moving back makes zero sense.  Actually, it's utterly idiotic.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Do you think going to Fields second Pro Day was legit interest or just to have other teams think we  could take him for trade potential?

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

That's fine if we pass on Fields and/or Lance as long as we get the capital for passing.  Someone will jump up.  Taking a non-QB position at #8 with one or both still on the board and not moving back makes zero sense.  Actually, it's utterly idiotic.

I know a lot of fans assume that if they believe a certain player is good or bad, the team must feel the same, but as often as not what the team thinks of certain players doesn't align with what fans think.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Do you think going to Fields second Pro Day was legit interest or just to have other teams think we  could take him for trade potential?

We're not going to spend the number eight pick on a player just so we can trade him later. When you're a rebuilding team with a top ten pick in the draft. You're going to take somebody that can contribute right now.

As to Fields, don't know. Could be genuine interest. Could be due diligence.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We're not going to spend the number eight pick on a player just so we can trade him later. When you're a rebuilding team with a top ten pick in the draft. You're going to take somebody that can contribute right now.

As to Fields, don't know. Could be genuine interest. Could be due diligence.

I mean to help with a trade down. If a team thinks we might pick him they may be more tempted to trade up for him. I think there is interest there. However it looks like they are really trying to “sell” we still might take a QB in this draft. Them not going to Lance’s makes me think the interest is real.

I mean to help with a trade down. If a team thinks we might pick him they may be more tempted to trade up for him. I think there is interest there. However it looks like they are really trying to “sell” we still might take a QB in this draft. Them not going to Lance’s makes me think the interest is real.

They might not be doing that great a job of selling.

Yeah but that goes against the whole “smokescreens rarely happen” narrative, right?

Never said they rarely happen. Lying season still exists.

With that said, not everything that fans see as a smokescreen actually is one, especially when it comes to teams scouting players.

Sometimes checking out a particular player is due diligence, but that doesn't make it a smokescreen.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Exactly. What if Sam can't be fixed? Back to square one and please don't use the crutch "we'll just draft one next year" argument.  Two reasons: We won't be in the position to draft one and it's a MUCH weaker class.  If we decide to pass on Lance or even Fields, it had better be with the thought in mind we have hitched our future to the Darnold wagon for better or worse.

If Sam can't be fixed, odds are the Panthers will end up with a worse record and higher draft pick.

39 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Not true. Taking what could be an elite player at another position benefits the team, especially if it is an LT.