• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 2020 Offensive Line Ranked 18th of 32

KatsAzz

9 minutes ago, cmichd08 said:

Even if Sewel is not around at 8 we can take the next best tackle who can excel at run and pass protection in grabbing Darrisaw from VT and then hope either Little or Slater would be around in the 2nd round.  Slater by most pro scouts would be the better guard in the NFL due his lack of size and strength although his quickness would be a huge asset as a LG in the NFL.  The Left side could be set for years.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Riverboat Ron said:

I'd be ok with 2 of our top 3 picks being offensive linemen. Imagine us adding both Penei Sewell and Creed Humphrey to protect Darnold.

Creed Humphrey would be better at Center than Guard.  If Slater was around at 2 I would grab him for LG and with either Sewell or Darrisaw at LT the left side would be set for a good 5 years

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Serious question.  Are you high??

Humphrey is a wide-bodied interior blocker that has a wealth of experience along the interior. With 37 career starts (36 straight), he’s been a three-year starter that’s been a key cog of one of the most explosive offenses in the country. As a left-handed center, he’s one of the few in the country. While being a limited athlete, he has the smarts of knowing how to use his frame, strength, and football IQ to his advantage. Hardly ever asked to exit outside of his parameters in the A-gaps, he’s quick to mark his territory and isn’t one to waste time jostling back and forth with interior defenders. In the right scheme, he has the chance to go on to eventually become a long-term starter in a power-centric offense that keeps his demands in short areas. He graduated with a degree in Finance (Dec. 2020).          2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report: IOL Creed Humphrey | The Draft Network

Just now, cmichd08 said:

Humphrey is a wide-bodied interior blocker that has a wealth of experience along the interior. With 37 career starts (36 straight), he’s been a three-year starter that’s been a key cog of one of the most explosive offenses in the country. As a left-handed center, he’s one of the few in the country. While being a limited athlete, he has the smarts of knowing how to use his frame, strength, and football IQ to his advantage. Hardly ever asked to exit outside of his parameters in the A-gaps, he’s quick to mark his territory and isn’t one to waste time jostling back and forth with interior defenders. In the right scheme, he has the chance to go on to eventually become a long-term starter in a power-centric offense that keeps his demands in short areas. He graduated with a degree in Finance (Dec. 2020).          2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report: IOL Creed Humphrey | The Draft Network

Slater in the 2nd

• Beer 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, onmyown said:

Funny because when cam’s oline averaged better throughout his career no one seemed to say his oline was never that bad for his career;

2011 - 7th

2012 - 27th

2013 - 7th

2014 - 22nd

2015 - 2nd

2016 - 17th

2017 - 10th

Avg: 17th

2018 - 17th (doesn’t matter limited playing)

Avg: 17th

2019 - 8th (doesn’t matter no playing)

Hmmmmm by saying the oline wasn’t that bad and TB just sucked I wonder what this means for the oline over cam’s career?

Probably a good idea to know what you’re looking at.

Considering almost no one goes to the super bowl or even deep playoffs without a top ten oline in the past two decades, yea 18 is pretty bad.

Probably need to understand that before saying 18 isn’t that bad. There is not a lot that separates the bottom tier olines in football (big drop off). It’s ironically like saying TB didn’t rank that bad last season altogether. Except when you realize you need an above average QB to really go anywhere. Oline is just as, actually even more, important.

Lastly if you have a stud like Moton, it skews things. For some teams losing 2-3 olineman make or break them, for the Panther’s, it’s just one near perfect player/anomaly keeping us above water. One. Out of 5. That’s bad.

Sorry but 2020 was a result of TB and the Oline playing like garbage aside from Moton. And cam had a garbage oline average as well. 

PFF is the end all be all for o-line rankings?

From a run blocking stand point I think he had a top 10 line, from a pass blocking stand point it was bottom 10. We haven’t a good pass blocking line since Cam’s rookie season imo

6 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

PFF is the end all be all for o-line rankings?

From a run blocking stand point I think he had a top 10 line, from a pass blocking stand point it was bottom 10. We haven’t a good pass blocking line since Cam’s rookie season imo

Who/what do you use for oline rankings? The OP used PFF and so I used the same metrics for comparison.

Too often I see PFF bashing and by all means if there is a better source please share. Unfortunately complaining is easier than actually offering an alternative.

So unless there are other metrics we want to compare, why complain? Show me other metrics and open discussion. Otherwise what is the point?

This forum loves PFF when it proves their point and bashes it when it doesn’t.  No metrics are perfect and can be picked apart. Oline in particular is very hard to judge.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 2