• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sheldon Richardon, anyone?

joemac

Would fill the last major hole on the roster outside of LT heading into the draft.

Richardson has never completely lived up to the hype, but I think he is still a starting caliber player.

And I'm still down for Short too (at a much reduced price).

Once we solidify DT, I'm feeling pretty good about the roster, especially on defense.  Our secondary is still unproven, but there is a lot more talent to work with than at any point since 2017.

I think Phil Snow made a lot of chicken salad with chicken crap last year, and I'm genuinely excited to see what he can do with more talent.

Then it comes back to the offense... can we protect Darnold and can Darnold prove that the Jets held him back and not the other way around?

We have the playmakers on offense to score if so.

This year feels a lot more unpredictable than last IMO... I honestly could see anywhere from 4 wins (if Darnold sucks) to up to 11 wins (based on 17 game season) if Brady/Rhule can help Darnold become the QB he was projected to be.

Darnold is obviously a much more boom-or-bust prospect than Teddy ever was or will be.

We've all seen Darnold make the elite-arm talent throws but also the boneheaded plays that are almost as egregious as the Mark Sanchez butt-fumble... hopefully it's just the curse of the Jets

But back to the point, I would be totally cool with a 1-year deal for Richardson, and I'm sure Fitts & Co are looking into it...

Burns, Brown, Richardson, and Reddick is a legitimate D-Line...

Shaq, Perryman, and Chinn is the most intriguing LB corp we have had in a while

I'm still not sure how the secondary ultimately shakes out, but that would be a massive improvement for the Front 7 at a minimum.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

Would fill the last major hole on the roster outside of LT heading into the draft.

Richardson has never completely lived up to the hype, but I think he is still a starting caliber player.

And I'm still down for Short too (at a much reduced price).

Once we solidify DT, I'm feeling pretty good about the roster, especially on defense.  Our secondary is still unproven, but there is a lot more talent to work with than at any point since 2017.

I think Phil Snow made a lot of chicken salad with chicken crap last year, and I'm genuinely excited to see what he can do with more talent.

Then it comes back to the offense... can we protect Darnold and can Darnold prove that the Jets held him back and not the other way around?

We have the playmakers on offense to score if so.

This year feels a lot more unpredictable than last IMO... I honestly could see anywhere from 4 wins (if Darnold sucks) to up to 11 wins (based on 17 game season) if Brady/Rhule can help Darnold become the QB he was projected to be.

Darnold is obviously a much more boom-or-bust prospect than Teddy ever was or will be.

We've all seen Darnold make the elite-arm talent throws but also the boneheaded plays that are almost as egregious as the Mark Sanchez butt-fumble... hopefully it's just the curse of the Jets

But back to the point, I would be totally cool with a 1-year deal for Richardson, and I'm sure Fitts & Co are looking into it...

Burns, Brown, Richardson, and Reddick is a legitimate D-Line...

Shaq, Perryman, and Chinn is the most intriguing LB corp we have had in a while

I'm still not sure how the secondary ultimately shakes out, but that would be a massive improvement for the Front 7 at a minimum.

Having the QB running for his life on every play mysteriously makes the secondary look a lot better.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Having the QB running for his life on every play mysteriously makes the secondary look a lot better.

I would love to have a 2013-esque Defensive Line/ Front 7 that was so dominant that we could play undrafted guys like Melvin White and Robert Lester in the secondary and still be a top defense

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• PMH4OWPW7JD2TDGWZKTOYL2T3E.jpg

• Topics

• Oops Offense (22) Left Tackle Left Guard Center Right Guard Right Tackle Ickey Ekwonu Damien Lewis Austin Corbett Robert Hunt Taylor Moton Yosh Nijman Brady Christesen Cade Mays Brady Christesen Yosh Nijman Brady Christesen Cade Mays Brady Christensen  Cade Mays Brady Christesen   Chandler Zavala       Wide Receiver Running Back Quarterback Tight End   Diontae Johnson Chuba Hubbard Bryce Young Tommy Tremble     Miles Sanders Andy Dalton Ian Thomas   Adam Thielen     Stephen Sullivan   Jonathan Mingo R. Blackshear       I Smith-Marsette         T Marshall Jr                     Defense (23) Jack Linebacker Defensive End Defensive Tackle Defensive End Sam Linebacker Jadav Clowney Derrick Brown Shy Tuttle A’Shwn Robinson DJ Wonnum Amare Barno Raeq Williams Nick Thurmond LaBryan Ray DJ Johnson K'Lvon Chaisson       Eku Leota Cornerback Will LB Mike LB Nickel Cornerback JC Horn Shaq Thompson Josey Jewell Troy Hill Dane Jackson   Chan.  Wooten     Dicaprio Bootle             Strong Safety   Free Safety     Jordan Fuller   Xavier Woods     Jammi Robinson   Sam Franklin            
    • Hi Gang, after talking a look at the roster (I will post below because it has been updated) I no longer see (or think they see) OL as a need that MUST be addressed in the draft.  They added 2 starting guards, creating a starting and backup center (jury still out, I know), and a solid swing OT.  Behind that, they have former starter Brady Christensen and at least Cade Mays.  Most all NFL lines have areas they would like to upgrade, but if they can get Ickey balanced, this could be a very special OL.  This list represents a shift away from a prioritized need at Edge as well.  Based on Canales' comments, they are going to go with Clowney and Wonnum and develop players like DJ Johnson, Barno, Leota, and Chaisson.  Good plan.  It suggests that Canales thinks these players were not coached up or developed, but he would never say that.  Athletically, the OLB room is full of studs. I still think our biggest need is a solid WR and if I were the GM, I would take 2 in this draft.  But nobody on the Huddle is talking that much about the second and third biggest needs, imo.  So here is what I put together this morning for you hacks to attack (includes long term needs--to me, since most rookies do not produce immediately, it is stupid to draft a player based on immediate needs): Wide Receiver:  Johnson and Thielen, the top 2 WRs at this moment, are possibly in their final years.  Mingo was overdrafted and his performance has not matched expectations.  In my opinion, in a WR-deep draft, you grab 2 Wideouts.  Longterm:  You do not want to enter 2025 with Mingo, draft pick, Smith-Marsette, and Marshall (who may not be on the team by then).  In my view, you can take two and still find the essential depth pieces at ILB and CB. Cornerback Depth:  Of course, signing Dane Jackson to replace "Action" Jackson and re-signing Troy Hill is not enough, considering Horn’s injury history--and even if Horn stays healty--you need 3 starting caliber CBs and a nickel.  I think we have to proceed as if Dane Jackson is the only starting caliber CB without an injury history and Bootle is a roster fringe CB at best.  We need a CB who can start if necessary.  Longterm:  Horn is a huge question mark at this point, so we have to draft as if we are taking a developmental starter.  For this reason, I see a second rounder being spent on CB. Dane Jackson is not elite by any means, and if we do not get pass rush this season, the secondary will be exploited. Troy Hill is 33 and this is obviously his last season here.   Inside Linebacker Depth:  With only Thompson and Jewell with Wooten behind them, ILB Depth is needed.  I fully expect Morgan to go after an ILB on day 2.  He understands their importance to a defense.  I am assuming the new kickoff rule may make LBs more valuable as well. Longterm: Jewell was just signed to a 3-year deal, but I doubt Shaq is back, having just signed a 1-year deal at age 30 for 2024.  We will be signing an ILB early in this draft.  Morgan guarantees it (not really, but I bet he does) Tight End:  I think they feel that TE is “covered” for now, but if they can upgrade the position, they will.  In my estimation, they want to see what they have in Tremble; that suggests they do not think the TE position was used properly in 2023.  Pure speculation.  Sullivan flashed as a pass-catching TE, and Ian is a suitable #3 TE as a blocker, but I have not seen that much from him in that area.  The could add a TE to the room, but with three other needs that are more pressing, I am not sure they will add someone who helps them improve.  However, they want to surround Bryce with weapons, so a TE would kinda be necessary–See the Super Bowl–their TEs were pretty good. Longterm:  This team needs an Alpha TE, and if Tremble cannot be that guy, they will bring one in.  I do like some of the TEs later in the draft, however.  A player like Ohio State’s Cade Stover would be a nice addition.  
    • It looks good so far but yes we thought last year was good too.  I don't really feel like the season is going to be about wins but more about "how" we play the game and more importantly how Bryce plays.  We're giving him a better cast than last year to see what we really have.  If we're terrible again, we can draft another QB.  I'd be excited winning 5 games to be honest but just hope we play well in the losses.  I mean I don't think we can get worse than last year anyway.