• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams ranked by the last 5 drafts

ladypanther

https://nypost.com/2021/04/17/nfl-draft-analysis-ranking-teams-five-year-history/

27. Panthers (30)
Pro Bowlers: 1

Best Pick: Christian McCaffrey (2017, 1st)

Worst Pick: Vernon Butler (2016, 1st)

The Panthers have some young players who show promise and could develop into good players, but they are not quite there yet. McCaffrey struggled to stay on the field last year, but is dynamic when healthy. Last year’s all-defense draft produced some potential keepers in Jeremy Chinn and Derrick Brown.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

The 2016 draft was horrible. If not for Bradberry (who we didn't even resign so that makes it even worse) it would have probably been the worst draft in team history . 

I was immediately incensed when we picked Vernon Butler and then proceeded to draft 3 CBs in a row . 

To his credit Gettleman had a much MUCH better final Panthers draft in 2017. Mccaffrey Moton Samuel all hits . Although Samuel didn't end up being a game breaking WR he had some decent contributions especially near the end of his tenure here. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

Butler had the tools he just didn't care to be great or have the tenacity to build a dominant prolonged career. Some guys come into the league looking to create a lifestyle and others want to cement their status in the history books. The timing of the pick couldn't have been worse but the misfires in free agency were ultimately the undoing of any chances the Panthers had at making a final run with that group.

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I will say that Little is a far worse pick than Butler. The draft capital we paid for Little was a little more than the pick we used on Butler. Also, the 2019 draft was chock full of OL and a much better draft than 2016. Butler didn’t live up to his pick but the dude actually played and contributed. His last season with us was actually a good one. 6 sacks for a Non starting DT is really good. Again, disappointing but we used the same draft capital on Little and there were a bunch of better OL just sitting their. The best (McCoy at C) went to the Saints. That in and of itself with Kalil retiring, Norwell leaving as a FA and obviously Turner on the outs, makes that pick twice as bad. We blew 2 good picks and gave the Saints a likely pro bowl C.

As big a detractor of Little as I am, if we're talking about which player has the worst ratio of ability to selection spot, I could make a pretty strong argument for Rashaan Gaulden.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Players today don’t play hard anymore after landing a big contract. They don’t make players like that anymore. The Ray Lewis, Steve Smith, Tom Brady type of players are going extinct. Players now want to be pay more to play less. Self entitled Americans today. 

This is a ridiculous take. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

13 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Your opinion 

Did Aaron Donald stop working hard? Did CMC stop working hard? Did Pat Mahomes stop working hard? I’m of the opinion that these gentlemen still work extremely hard even after getting paid. Did James Bradberry stop working hard? 

And that’s just football. I could go down the list of Basketball and Baseball players as well. And you think this is an “entitled Americans” problem? Your take is your name. It’s trainwreck levels of bad. 

• Pie 1

Time will tell if Butler was a bad pick or Rivera wasn’t able to use him right. He played well in Buffalo this year, which makes me wonder if it was Ron trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. Rivera was anything but adaptable and constantly forced players into his system instead of adapting his system to the players. Gaulden was a failure from the start and Little, that was just Hurney being a dumb ass trusting his gut over what anyone with a set of eyes clearly saw. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Trainwreck said:

Players today don’t play hard anymore after landing a big contract. They don’t make players like that anymore. The Ray Lewis, Steve Smith, Tom Brady type of players are going extinct. Players now want to be pay more to play less. Self entitled Americans today. 

It is looked at as a get rich profession. That is much more important to most people now days, than it is to leave a legacy.  

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

While Gaulden was an awful pick and unfortunately another pick of Marty’s that everyone in here seemed to dislike instantly. That said, he was picked late 3rd. Most late 3rd round picks don’t last long at all. He was especially bad but based on where he was picked it wasn’t unexpected. Heck, one could say that Grier (only 15 picks later) and Miller weren’t any better. Heck, I’d argue Gaulden exceeded Grier.

I’d still go with Little. We traded a pick 12 spots before Gaulden just to move up for Little. So not only did we take Little above McCoy (picked one spot after Little’s original slot), we traded a way a chance at a potential G or Maxx Crosby.

Since Little busted two picks in a solid OL draft, he’s still got my choice as the worst and I’d say it’s not close.

Gaulden was an awful pick given he ranked early dead last in every Sparq score category. There was no athletic upside and his tape was average at best. He should have been a day 3 pick or undrafted and we took him in the 3rd.

That said, when he saw the field, he was a heck of a player around the line of scrimmage yet Rivera failed to use him in that capacity. The combination of a bad draft picks and Rivera failing to develop guys is what really did them in.