• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB question

south-paw

Lets say we do not draft one of the top 5 QB's (Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Jones) in this years draft, which of the later tier QB's would you draft that would have the best chance to beat out what we currently have on the roster of (Grier, Walker, Stevens)?  

I'd prefer bringing in a veteran QB as the backup to mentor Sam D, and cut the other guys. If we do decide to draft a QB this year as a project or maybe to compete with Sam I would prefer (1) Davis Mills, (2) Kellen Mond. I wouldn't Midn picking up Jamie Newman for a true project to run the practice Squad.

• Pie 2

Ideally if we miss the top prospects, we get a vet backup to help our young QB room.  There's so much value after the first round this year in OL and CBs, I don't want us to spend a pick on another project at QB when we just effectively spent next year's 2nd on one.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Davis Mills would be the one I'd be most willing to give a shot. I think we may have interest in Kellen Mond because Rhule recruited him hard at Baylor. Personally I'm not high at all on Mond. Intriguing physical talent, but he's wildly inconsistent and doesn't play to his talent level even when he's "on" IMO.

• Beer 1

I would do go for Newman in the 4th-5th but that's about it.

Mond just bugs me.  He is super reminiscent of Kizer. 

Mills, I don't know.  Just don't know much about him but when I looked into his shtick, it seems he just throws a TON of uncatchable balls.

Newman is the one that interests me.  Before he opted out, people were looking at him making a trajectory to a top pick before we really thought of Jones and Wilson so highly.  Lawrence, Fields, & Lance were always in that discussion with Purdy and Newman really being the guys teams  were thinking could make a leap.

Furthermore, that wake offense, ehh doesn't really allow for skills to shine depending on the position.  For Newman, yeah, I'd take a gander.  We could already have Slater-Leathorwood-Samuel Jr. type situation before we even gamble on a QB.  I'm game for it.

Tbh I’d rather draft a late round kicker then wasting another pick on a 2nd or 3rd day project QB. 

spend picks on players with an actual shot to contribute. If Sam isn’t the answer, which is a possibility, continue to build out the roster as a whole and trade up for “The Guy”  in 2022 or 2023, once the roster as a whole is more playoff ready, a la the chiefs pre Patty