• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy- Should He Stay or Go?

Michael G

14 hours ago, Michael G said:

What is the best course of action to take regarding Teddy? 

(1) Trade him for very little before the season and eat a large portion of his contract (Avoid distractions- Free up a little Cap Space- choose a back up that is all-in).

(2) Keep him to back-up Sam and pay him all of his huge contract for sitting (maybe trade him later for something, have him available if something happens to Sam)

(3) Cut him (free him to find his own way- Free up a little Cap Space, but eat a lot of dead money)

You miss the main reason to cut him. You are not alone, everyone misses this.

The base salary is $17M, only $10M is guaranteed right now. So cutting him saves the $7M difference. Not sure if I would only call that "a little Cap Space".

This is also what makes him close to untradable. Even if we convert the full $10M to a bonus and eat it today. The trade bait is Teddy at $7M. I'll be very surprised if anyone want this, and we get no cap saving over a cut so we need value to do it.

17 hours ago, Michael G said:

What is the best course of action to take regarding Teddy? 

(1) Trade him for very little before the season and eat a large portion of his contract (Avoid distractions- Free up a little Cap Space- choose a back up that is all-in).

(2) Keep him to back-up Sam and pay him all of his huge contract for sitting (maybe trade him later for something, have him available if something happens to Sam)

(3) Cut him (free him to find his own way- Free up a little Cap Space, but eat a lot of dead money)

What we can hope for is that all the QBs are taken 1-4 and someone other than Denver trades up for the #5 QB.   Than I think we can trade Teddy to Denver and get whatever we can from them.  A 4th or better would be a win.

Otherwise, I expect a post June 1 cut. 

I think they'll probably renegotiate his contract in a move to make him more tradeable, and also make him more palatable to the Panthers.

If no trade happens you let him compete with Darnold and back him up unless we have a signing we need to make where cutting him makes more sense.