• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

3 minutes ago, Verge said:

Obviously if Sewell is not there you want to trade down, but you need a partner with good enough compensation to do that, easier said than done. Horn fits the grade at 8 so I imagine they feel comfortable enough to take him there if they have to.

what do you think you like about Horn over Surtain

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And again, how you think it happened doesn't square with what the team says.

Your response to that so far has been that if what's reported doesn't that's what you think happened, it must be a lie.

I'm not ready to buy that.

You mean the team didn’t say “we were desperate to get rid of Teddy, and this guy is pretty much our last option. If a better option presents itself we will take it?”  
They were inquiring about him early as they were every player. Remember “in on every deal.”  If we are going by what the team says “QB is an option” per the GM and coach.

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

They have said Sam allows us to take BPA and not reach for need. 

I don’t get why this is so hard to understand. 

if they like a qb at 8 like Lance or fields then based on those statements they will take the qb. They’ve literally said it wouldn’t stop them from taking a qb.

And they might. I've never said they won't.

What I've said is that it's a stupid decision if they do.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Why?

For reasons I've already outlined.

You're suggesting the team go ahead and basically supplant the guy they just traded for without even seeing him in action, and this while also bypassing the chance to shore up another spot on a team that has a lot of needs.

I think that'd be a dumbass move.

• Pie 2

Just now, TheRumGone said:

Because he’s been jacking off to Sewell YouTube highlights and will cry if we pick fields over him

Already said if we make a move I disagree with, I'll get on board and hope for the best.

On the flipside, I'm pretty sure if Fields (or Lance) is available at pick 8 and we don't take them, a load of people are going to have meltdowns.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You talked about passing on a quarterback who would have been good. That's not guaranteed.

If you take a first round quarterback and Darnold turns out good, you've wasted a number eight overall pick on a backup when you could have solidified another starting position.

If you take a first round quarterback and he's not good, you've screwed yourself out of two positions.

"You talked about passing on a quarterback who would have been good. That's not guaranteed."

No one can guarantee any rookie will work out. We also can't guarantee Darnold will out. Nothing with the Panthers QB situation right now is guaranteed. 

"If you take a first round quarterback and Darnold turns out good, you've wasted a number eight overall pick on a backup when you could have solidified another starting position."

Any rookie has the chance for failure so you might or might not have solidified another starting position. Regardless, if Darnold turns out to be good, you haven't wasted the pick. A QB drafted in the top 10 will still have value in a year. Look what we gave for a QB who was (to be generous) not great his first three years. He still had value. Look at what the Cardinals got for Rosen a year after drafting him. He still had value. Whoever we picked at #8 would have value a year from now.

"If you take a first round quarterback and he's not good, you've screwed yourself out of two positions."

There's an opportunity cost involved with whoever we pick. If we had take a first round OT and he's not good, we've screwed ourselves out of two positions, too.

Thought exercise: If Pitts was there, should we pass because we signed Dan Arnold? 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Because he’s been jacking off to Sewell YouTube highlights and will cry if we pick fields over him

within the confines of this thread he’s already said that Fields and Darnold are both “essentially rookies” as if we should grade them along the same curve (hedging his bets) as if darnold hasn’t been the leagues literal worst QB over the last three seasons

• Pie 1

Just now, trueblade said:

"You talked about passing on a quarterback who would have been good. That's not guaranteed."

No one can guarantee any rookie will work out. We also can't guarantee Darnold will out. Nothing with the Panthers QB situation right now is guaranteed. 

"If you take a first round quarterback and Darnold turns out good, you've wasted a number eight overall pick on a backup when you could have solidified another starting position."

Any rookie has the chance for failure so you might or might not have solidified another starting position. Regardless, if Darnold turns out to be good, you haven't wasted the pick. A QB drafted in the top 10 will still have value in a year. Look what we gave for a QB who was (to be generous) not great his first three years. He still had value. Look at what the Cardinals got for Rosen a year after drafting him. He still had value. Whoever we picked at #8 would have value a year from now.

"If you take a first round quarterback and he's not good, you've screwed yourself out of two positions."

There's an opportunity cost involved with whoever we pick. If we had take a first round OT and he's not good, we've screwed ourselves out of two positions, too.

Thought exercise: If Pitts was there, should we pass because we signed Dan Arnold? 

Other positions aren't like quarterback.

We're a rebuilding team. Yes, they've signed free agents, but that doesn't mean we don't still have needs.

And again, you've already got what basically amounts to a rookie quarterback. Taking another one would be silly.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For reasons I've already outlined.

You're suggesting the team go ahead and basically supplant the guy they just traded for without even seeing him in action, and this while also bypassing the chance to shore up another spot on a team that has a lot of needs.

I think that'd be a dumbass move.

he is suggesting you draft the best player on the board.   And if you have Sam....you aren't forced to throw your rookie QB to the wolves day 1 out of desperation/no other options.   

QB is our biggest need in terms of consistently winning football games and actually doing something.    We can draft a CB.  We ain't going to do anything without a legit QB. 

• Pie 1

Fields is in on another level as a prospect then Sam darnold and that’s even if you take away sam’s horrific 3 years in the league. Whatever is happening to his draft stock makes absolutely no sense and reminds me of what happened to deshaun during his draft class.

the highest position of need we have is QB. Over any other position. So if fields fell to 8 we should be running to the podium to grab him. If somehow Sam turned out good/great. That’s draft capital. The biggest obstacles franchises have in becoming consistent is finding a franchise qb. I’d love to have Sewell. But not over someone like fields.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Fields is in on another level as a prospect then Sam darnold and that’s even if you take away sam’s horrific 3 years in the league. Whatever is happening to his draft stock makes absolutely no sense and reminds me of what happened to deshaun during his draft class.

the highest position of need we have is QB. Over any other position. So if fields fell to 8 we should be running to the podium to grab him. If somehow Sam turned out good/great. That’s draft capital. The biggest obstacles franchises have in becoming consistent is finding a franchise qb. I’d love to have Sewell. But not over someone like fields.

I like Fields and I don't understand the momentum against him but Darnold was a higher graded prospect coming out than anybody in this draft other than Lawrence.

• Pie 1