• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

At least half of these people that are now being implied as to being racist were all over the Watson trade. The last time I checked he was black. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a racist, white supremacist or a white supremacist's enabler. Is that the right word for non whites who agree that Fields isn't that good? 

In fact, this really makes me mad. How dare you imply that I'm a racist because of my football opinion. I've got to walk away now but in my opinion it's the people that always focus on race who are the real racists. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

This is a good video on Fields. The plays near the backend of the video may help shed some light on how some times are worried about his processing.

Agreed! Watch the video. 

1 minute ago, Verge said:

This thread has definitely gone off course lol 

Lots of folks can't handle adult conversations and melt down at the mention of race, most of the thread was cordial tho. I'm checking out before it goes downhill. 

8 minutes ago, davos said:

It's actually extremely revealing to look at the starting QBs in conference championship games since 2005.  It's 1st rounders galore.

Preaching to the choir. I hate the don’t take a first round QB talks because Brady, Montana and Wilson have won SBs or Foles did it, completely ignoring how good Wentz was playing that year to get to 11-2.

Yes, every decade or so you can draft a 3rd or 6th rounder who will win SBs. If you aren’t that lucky, then you have a much, much, much better chance to be a contender with a 1st round QB.

1 minute ago, Panthers Rhule said:

At least half of these people that are now being implied as to being racist were all over the Watson trade. The last time I checked he was black. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a racist, white supremacist or a white supremacist's enabler. Is that the right word for non whites who agree that Fields isn't that good? 

Absolutely no one on this thread has implied anyone else on this thread is a racist. We are talking about the process itself and how the media/draft rooms play to it. Please do not misconstrue anyone's words. 🙂 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Verge said:

I think it does probably have a little to do with race, and that's pretty sad. Things that teams would overlook with a white QB that do not get overlooked with Fields. 

Zach Wilson is the perfect counter example IMO.  

He has plenty bad habits.  Fields' are being put under a microscope.  Wilson's largely dismissed as people gush over the upside. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Truth is none of us have any idea what the Panthers draft board looks like.

Whatever it is though, I'm hoping they stick to it.

One of the complaints that's been reported about the Eagles draft rooms is that they'd have a draft board set, and then when their pick came, Howie Roseman would just go rogue.

(some have theorized that he was actually covering for Jeffrey Lurie, and that's a legitimate possibility)

Im with you and as much as people worry I think one of Teppers biggest strengths are knowing what he doesn’t know and letting the people he pays (handsomely at that) do their jobs. I think he respects Fitt and Rhule enough to trust their judgement on the draft and just lets them run it. I’m sure he’s going to offer heavy input but I think ultimately he’s going to allow Rhule/Fitt to make the pick.

7 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I understand these as real issues but the reason I'm questioning the sources is because people are saying "there's QUESTIONS" then we wonder what they are folks are like "I don't wanna get into it" lol

Just seems weird, is all. I don't think he's perfect but he tested well and he outplayed Trevor Lawrence last time they faced off, you'd think the types who gravitate towards being clutch and having football intangibles would make more a fuss over his drop down boards and back him as a possible number 2 pick. Just feels weird. I'm interested to see if he pans out just because his pre-draft has been so strange. 

Here's the thing when it comes to this stuff.

He's been high on your draft board, Bucky Brooks, and every other person who has absolutely no say in what actually happens in the draft.  Fields could be low on every teams draft boards and the media wouldn't know it until things start slipping out...so maybe Zach wasn't a 3rd rounder, and Justin the number 2 overall like many were EXPECTING him to be?

Mel Kipers mock draft means nothing, teams boards do, what you are seeing and hearing is the talking heads are finally getting more info...and we are confused by the shift.

4 minutes ago, Verge said:

This thread has definitely gone off course lol 

You forget where you're posting? 😄

I don't give a flaming rat's ass what color a guy's skin is. I do have a preference for quarterbacks whose primary characteristics are more mental than physical (accuracy, decision making, ability to read defenses, etc).

There may be a perception that those characteristics are more inclined to one race over the other, but there shouldn't be.

Heck, one of the prime examples of that would be our own starting quarterback last year.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Now do Trey Lance.

Trey Lance is the wildcard that messes up the narrative entirely lol. 

Maybe it is more about Justin Fields not mimicking a successful QB for all these GMs to make themselves feel good.   Everyone cherry picks Wilson's odd throws and starts talking about Mahomes.  That's a Mahomes throw! Lance gets the Josh Allen talk/love.  Mac gets Brady.  See!  accurate dad bods that play in a system win!! Trevor gets all the textbook robots of Luck, Peyton, etc. 

Fields doesn't have that QB for them do to do that with. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Trey Lance hype seems crazy to me, dude has like 300 college pass attempts despite the great tools and isn't accurate, would not touch him in the first

I was super intrigued by him. Then I watched that game this spring. I get that it was not an ideal situation with COVID and him only appearing in one game. But, damn. That really looked like a poor man's The Golden Calf of Bristol. Admittedly, that's why I didn't even bother digging into him more. If there had been more smoke about the Panthers being interested I would have but absent that smoke I just didn't care enough to do it