• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

34 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Lime Green Jello today.  Pudding was yesterday.  And in the South, we pronounce it 'puddin', no g

I get suspicious on puddin' day--the help crushes up meds and mixes them into the cup---I strongly suspect.  I mean, since when does chocolate vanilla swirl have a bitter aftertaste?  And why are there ceiling woodsy animals dancing around after I eat it? 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Verge said:

Panthers rd 1 (8): 
Penei Sewell, OT, OE 

Panthers rd 2 (39): 
Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF 

Panthers rd 3 (73): 
Tyree Gillespie, S, (MIZZ) 

Panthers rd 4 (113): 
Frank Darby, WR, ARST

Panthers rd 5 (151): 
Deommodore Lenoire, CB, ORE

Panthers rd 6 (193): 
Jacob Harris, TE/WR, UCF 

Panthers rd 6 (222): 
Alaric Jackson, G, IOW

You think 2 CBs after drafting 2 last year and having Jackson and signing Bouye and Melvin?

On 4/19/2021 at 2:22 PM, Verge said:

I know you all have been waiting for it, and I have finally compiled my mock draft. I will be doing the entire first round and then the rest of the Panthers picks. This is based on what I have been told and my own evaluations. Before I start some things I should note, this will be the least accurate year for mock drafts for I think everyone, so nothing is written in stone. As another note, a lot of teams are going to opt for players who did not opt out last year and that could very well be a draft night trend, so watch out for that.  Let's get it. 

1. Jacksonville Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, CLE 
Nat's notes:  Obviously lol 

2. New York Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
Nat's notes:  Other QBs were explored, but they felt comfortable here with Zach for the last month or so. 

3. San Francisco 49ers
Mac Jones, QB, ALA 
Nat's notes:  I have been saying this since they traded up, Mac is the guy. Internet scouts (including me) severely underrate the level at which he played QB this year. The more tape you watch on him the more it makes sense. Mac Jones is the #3 QB on multiple boards, including ours. 

4. Atlanta Falcons
Trey Lance, QB, NDSU 
Nat's notes:  They could look to trade down and still take Lance a little later, but I think ultimately if you like Lance, which as I have said they do, you sit here at 4 and take him. He is the perfect fit for this offense, and gives him the ability to sit in learn for a year and flip Ryan for an early pick next year. Stonks. If they do manage to trade down, I think the #4 pick will be Lance regardless of who picks here. 

5. Cincinnati Bengals
Jamarr Chase, WR, LSU 
Nat's notes:  Obviously this could be Sewell, but you get the sentiment that they want to recreate that elite connection between Burrow and Chase. They need to improve their down the field passing game, and Chase does this for you. They will obviously swing back in the 2nd and grab an offensive lineman in a deep class. 

6. Miami Dolphins
Kyle Pitts, TE, FLO 
Nat's notes:  It's who they have wanted this whole time, and they sit here and get him. Elite level talent and a top three player in this draft. Slam dunk for the Dolphins who are playing chess. 

7. **Trade** Denver Broncos
Justin Fields, QB, OHST 
Nat's notes:  Pssst the Broncos want a QB and are going to try and trade up to get one. Both of the teams ahead of them stay put to take the top offensive skill position guys, so Denver moves up as early as possible to get their guy, which is Justin Fields. If the Lions do stick here, I think the pick will be Sewell.

8. Carolina Panthers
Penei Sewell, OT, ORE 
Nat's notes:  This is obviously a dream scenario and one that as you can see, could easily play out. Slam dunk pick for a team that has been looking for their starting LT since Jordan Gross retired. If Detroit sticks at 7 and picks Sewell, Slater would make a ton of sense as well. Protect Sam Darnold or give him a weapon (Waddle/Smith) 

9. Detroit Lions
Jaylen Waddle, WR, ALA 
Nat's notes:  Here we are crossing our fingers hoping Detroit does not stick at 7 and take Sewell. If they manage to trade down, I expect them to take the top weapon they can to help out Jared Goff, that is Waddle. 

10. Dallas Cowboys
Patrick Surtain, CB, ALA 
Nat's notes:  I imagine Slater would be awfully tempting here but you have to help out a secondary that was burned all year. Surtain is a perfect fit and an all star at the position. 

11. New York Giants
Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, GEO 
Nat's notes:  Maybe the first big surprise of the draft? Edge is their biggest need, and Azeez is one of the best edge available, being super versatile helps pus the card in his favor. Slater has to be considered here as well. 

12. Philadelphia Eagles
Devonta Smith, WR, ALA
Nat's notes:  I know they wanted to trade up to go get Wilson, and they want to trade up for Waddle here as well, but with neither of those happening Smith falls into their lap for a very sensible selection. Surround Hurts with talent and give him the best chance to succeed. 

13. Los Angeles Chargers
Rashawn Slater, OT, NW 
Nat's notes:  Chargers are doing the happy dance if Slater falls to them, and they run the card up to fill in the massive hole at LT. If he is gone expect someone like Darrisaw to fill the spot. 

14. Minnesota Vikings
Christian Darrisaw, OT, VT 
Nat's notes:  Speaking of Darrisaw, Vikings fill out the LT position to help protect Kirk Cousins and get a starter for the next 10 years. 

15. New England Patriots 
Jaycee Horn, CB, SC 
Nat's notes: Patriots lock up their secondary in case of departures of Gilmore or Jackson, and create a deadly mix in the secondary this year. Zaven Collins in another ones to watch here. 

16. Arizona Cardinals 
Greg Newsome, CB, NW 
Nat's notes: They have to be steaming that Horn went one pick before, but Newsome is an excellent consolation prize as a lengthy corner who can jump in and start right away. 

17. Las Vegas Raiders 
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT/G, USC 
Nat's notes: They have signaled what they are doing after cutting half their offensive line. Tucker provides elite versatility and can plug and play anywhere on the offensive line. 

18. Miami Dolphins
Jaelan Philips, DE, MIA 
Nat's notes: They get a local kid who is ultra productive and the best pure defensive end in the draft. 

19. Washington Football Team 
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, ND 
Nat's notes: Slam dunk pick for Ron as they nab the best LB in the draft, they are hoping he doesn't go earlier than this. 

20. Chicago Bears
Teven Jenkins, OT, OKST 
Nat's notes: Makes a ton of sense here, can immediately come in and upgrade their run game to be a mauling bunch. Would not be surprised with the shock of the night by taking a Davis Mills or Kellen Mond here, I know they like both. 

21. Indianapolis Colts
Kwity Paye, DE, MICH
Nat's notes: Fits perfectly with that defense and gives them a starting edge rusher. Look for them to target tackle in the second round. 

22. Tennessee Titans
Rashod Bateman, WR, MINN 
Nat's notes:  Farley has to be tempting here, but I worry about the medicals. I know they like Bateman who will be an immediate #2 opposite AJ Brown. 

23. New York Jets
Landon Dickerson, G/C, ALA 
Nat's notes: Protecting Wilson is the priority over getting an edge or corner here. Dickers in a big bodied elite level guard talent. Take him and run 

24. Pittsburgh Steelers
Najee Harris, RB, ALA 
Nat's notes:  They are desperate to make the run game work. Tackle would make more sense but Najee immediately puts some juice in the run game as their RB1 

25. Jacksonville Jaguars 
Christian Barmore, DT, ALA 
Nat's notes: They desperately need interior help and Barmore fits that grade. 

26. Cleveland Browns
Gregory Rosseau, DE, MIA
Nat's notes: Browns take a risk with an opt out player, but cannot pass up the size and physical abilites Rosseau brings. 

27. Baltimore Ravens
Jayson Oweh, EDGE, PENN 
Nat's notes: Ravens take the BPA with a Danielle Hunter clone 

28. New Orleans Saints
Caleb Farley, CB, VT 
Nat's notes: Saints hit a home run on a health risk that fills a need. Will he fall this far? Only time will tell 

29. Green Bay Packers 
Asante Samuel Jr., CB, FST 
Nat's notes: Competes right away for the #2 corner spot and makes the secondary a lot more rangy. 

30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (trade)
Joe Tryon, DE, WAS 
Nat's notes: Comes in and provides depth right away and helps out in an already dominant pass rush. 

31. Kansas City Chiefs 
Liam Eichenberg, OT, ND
Nat's notes: They obviously need offensive line help, and Eichenberg can compete for the LT spot right away. 

32. Buffalo Bills
Travis Etienne, RB, CLE 
Nat's notes: Traded down and still got who they wanted. Etienne will be the immediate starter in Buffalo. 

Here is the full version of my first round mock. I will be following up later with the Panthers 7 round plan. 

If somehow Pitts, Chase and Slater are all there, who do you think we go with?

NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
RASHAWN SLATERT, COLLEGE PLAYER
rashawn%20slater.jpg

ESPN's Dan Orlovsky sees the Lions doing "whatever they can to impact the bigs on either side" in the first round of the draft.

Orlovsky is simply speculating but he does have experience with many of the decision-makers within Detroit. He played with HC Dan Campbell in Detroit, who was a tight end for the team from 2006 to 2008. Orlovsky also spent the summer of 2017 with the Rams. Lions GM Brad Holmes was the Director of College Scouting for LA at the time. The Lions hold pick No. 7 and that leaves them in an awkward spot for either side of the line. Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater could be in play for Detroit if Oregon OT Penei Sewell is off the board. The Lions are thin at a number of position groups so "best player available" should be their approach even if Campbell and Holmes want to add some talent to the trenches.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:16 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:
NCAA%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
RASHAWN SLATERT, COLLEGE PLAYER
rashawn%20slater.jpg

ESPN's Dan Orlovsky sees the Lions doing "whatever they can to impact the bigs on either side" in the first round of the draft.

Orlovsky is simply speculating but he does have experience with many of the decision-makers within Detroit. He played with HC Dan Campbell in Detroit, who was a tight end for the team from 2006 to 2008. Orlovsky also spent the summer of 2017 with the Rams. Lions GM Brad Holmes was the Director of College Scouting for LA at the time. The Lions hold pick No. 7 and that leaves them in an awkward spot for either side of the line. Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater could be in play for Detroit if Oregon OT Penei Sewell is off the board. The Lions are thin at a number of position groups so "best player available" should be their approach even if Campbell and Holmes want to add some talent to the trenches.

I do think if they sit at 7 they took Sewell personally. That leaves us with either Slater, Waddle, or a CB.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:13 PM, PantherKyle said:

Sewell would be amazing. Thanks for the writeup. Any shot Pitts is there at 8?

Yes. There is a huge shot that he’s there. Assume 4 QBs are taken in the first 4 picks. Perhaps even 5 QBs in the first 6 picks.  Sitting at 8 almost every single stud player that’s not a QB will be available to us. 

On 4/19/2021 at 7:30 PM, Verge said:

My guy has told me that Parsons is off their board entirely. Other teams have issues with him as well. Just takes one team though. I don't actually foresee him falling out of the first round

Apparently you do since he's not listed above...

• Poo 1

5 hours ago, ncfan said:

I have a hard time believing a QB won’t be taken at 7...... by someone

As Albright said, LAC might be looking to get ahead of us for Sewell as well. Hopefully someone pays the price to take Fields at 7.