• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we've done our homework on Fields and we don't like him then it is what it is.

Then again, we did our homework on Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold too, so... oh wee mayne.

Darnold has not been given a chance outside of the hell that was NY.  I think you are prejudging him too harshly-you might be right, but I think we all agree that he will improve.  The debate is really about how much.

22 minutes ago, Verge said:

Possibly. Unless it's Sewell. 

Verge, is what you are hearing here--that the draft seems to be more unpredictable this year than in previous years---shared by the people in the know, or do they have a pretty firm grasp on what is probably going down?  May not be a fair question...

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Darnold has not been given a chance outside of the hell that was NY.  I think you are prejudging him too harshly-you might be right, but I think we all agree that he will improve.  The debate is really about how much.

I was concerned about his turnover issue in college, but did a little research to make myself feel better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/7/31/17634804/what-do-sam-darnolds-college-turnover-issues-tell-us-about-his-future-new-york-jets

It all just depends on how high of a grade we have on Fields. Maybe Sewell will be there making it an easy decision.

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

That's my issue. Yeah, I think he'll improve but there's a massive gap between what he's been and where he needs to get. I just don't see it happening. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's my issue. Yeah, I think he'll improve but there's a massive gap between what he's been and where he needs to get. I just don't see it happening. 

That's what I'm thinking.  I don't blame us for taking a shot, the cost was (relatively for a QB) minimal.  I do think there were better players to take a shot on.  I know lots of people say "but NY screwed him" . . . and maybe so.  But probably not.

Look at the comparable situations.

Mark Sanchez . . . looks eerily similar to Darnold.  High draft pick, low games played in college - at USC no less.  Actually took care of the ball pretty good in college, but clearly couldn't figure it out in the NFL.  Left NY, no change.  Still bad.

Chad Pennington . . . actually had one good season in NY . . . but never made it.  Another high pick in NY.  Left NY and never fully put it together.  You could argue his best season was his third in NY.

Geno Smith?  Not drafted first round.  Another failed QB in NYC.

I'm afraid that the problem is that no one up there knows how to evaluate a QB.  And we now bought in to that problem.

He's our QB, I'll certainly root for him to put it together.  But I also have no problem seeing us take a rookie if one we like drops to us.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, ncfan said:

True.  But what I expect what they’ll be getting Offer wise for Fields.  Will make it too hard to pass up, even for Sewell 

I’m with Verge and others who have said, ‘don’t overthink this’.  Take Sewell at 8 and end the revolving door at LT for the next 10 years.  Just my opinion.  YMMV