• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

On 4/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, Khyber53 said:

3. San Francisco 49ers
Mac Jones, QB, ALA 
Nat's notes:  I have been saying this since they traded up, Mac is the guy. Internet scouts (including me) severely underrate the level at which he played QB this year. The more tape you watch on him the more it makes sense. Mac Jones is the #3 QB on multiple boards, including ours. 

I've been beating this drum for a while now, but yeah, Jones is the third best QB in this draft and a guy I thought we'd try hard for. Darnold makes this tougher, but if Jones should happen to get past San Fran and falls, I still think we pick him up.

If not, Sewell/Slater is definitely the long term best move.

See, though... I think Mac Jones is a second-round talent, inflated by the position he plays. Best-case scenario, he ends up not being a total bust and being a middle-of-the-pack QB. Worst case, someone wastes a first round pick.

23 minutes ago, irrevalentfalconsfan said:

See, though... I think Mac Jones is a second-round talent, inflated by the position he plays. Best-case scenario, he ends up not being a total bust and being a middle-of-the-pack QB. Worst case, someone wastes a first round pick.

Based on... ?

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wildly inaccurate, especially in today's NFL. The nickel D is the defacto base defense in the modern NFL. Oftentimes in a nickel formation their is no "middle" LB. Even in a 4-3 formation you have over and under formations with the LBs shaded toward one side or the other. In a 3-4 alignment, there are two MLBs. Who's your Mike? It's all about the checking the OL protections.

You are back!

Kidding

On 4/24/2021 at 6:41 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Crazier things have happened. A lot of people have seemingly forgotten about the off-field concerns.

I've heard of immaturity problems but not details and we all know there are teams that will go for a play maker like him if it's just immaturity and not rape or murder.

3 minutes ago, irrevalentfalconsfan said:

The fact that he had the best receivers and not even close to the best numbers. That he's the least mobile QB in the upper part of QBs. That that's what he was until 9ers moved up, and now he's top 3?

Wait, who had better numbers last season?!

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

What makes you think that’s not his normal?

Yes, he MAY improve.

But he also MAY continue to be Sam Darnold.

Very fair question.  Because there are things called performance variables, and I teach them in relation to leadership.   Here is a physical example I use in a class to demonstrate the concept.  1. I have a volunteer come to the front of the classroom.  I have then stand on one foot for 30 seconds or so if they can--most can.  Then I have them do it with the class applauding--they do better.  Then I have the do it with their eyes closed, and they fall before 30 seconds are up.  The message?  Without support and vision, we fail.

I tie that to many other things in relation to leadership/management, and the stats are always the same---human beings need support, guidance, etc.  to succeed.

That does not give me a crystal ball, but the students find it to be fascinating.  I have them describe why they were able to stand better with the applause.  Most say, "Because I did not want to let everyone down or cause the applause to stop based on failure."  Gave them confidence.  The eyes closed?  "I felt insecure.  As if everyone was watching. Vulnerable--a sacrifice.  And it is harder to balance when your environment is not defined--even if you know the environment.  We need the reassurance of knowing for ourselves..." etc.

In the end, we are all humans.  The kid was 20 years old when he got there.  If it did not destroy him, which is often the case, it will make him better and he will be better with support and sensible vision, and when we give him the ability to see his surroundings and act as he sees fit, he should improve.

There is a lot of research on this in management and leadership psychology texts.  While I do not know, I believe very strongly this will be a good setting, if surrounded by positive, visionary, supportive people---I think we have that.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1