• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm gonna mock you relentlessly if (likely "when") we're in this same situation again next year. 

Likewise, if Darnold actually turns out to be good. You should probably just refrain from talking about quarterback evaluations.

For my part though, if Darnold doesn't pan out, he doesn't pan out. Either way, trying to develop him and a first round rookie at the same time (and ignoring other needs in the process) is a stupid idea.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Just now, CRA said:

trying to think if there is a first round pick we have made that I disliked more at the time than I will Horn at #8.....and I'm coming up with nothing....

Agree that would be terrible, I know at this time last year some people was saying we really like CJ Henderson from Florida that went to Jacksonville. I hope that’s all it is, just talk.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Likewise, if Darnold actually turns out to be good. You should probably just refrain from talking about quarterback evaluations.

For my part though, if Darnold doesn't pan out, he doesn't pan out. Either way, trying to develop him and a first round rookie at the same time (and ignoring other needs in the process) is a stupid idea.

Because I was wrong about Herbert after saying he had all the physical tools due to what he showed at Oregon? And now their new QB has transferred to escape their training wheels system that made me highly doubt Herbert in the first place? Okay...

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For my part though, if Darnald doesn't pan out, he doesn't pan out. But trying to develop him and a first round rookie at the same time (and ignoring other needs in the process) is a stupid idea.

If he doesn't pan out, it isn't, well darn, he didn't pan out. you're out the draft resources you spent (edit: to acquire Darnold) and you've wasted a year, and you've potentially let a QB who would have panned out go to another team and you can watch him win in the playoffs while the Panthers sit home in January (again).

Every fan wants sustained success. The fastest path there is a true franchise QB. If the team believes Justin Fields can be a true franchise QB, they should select him at #8, regardless of who else is on the roster. Let Rhule and Brady figure out the reps in training camp.

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Agree that would be terrible, I know at this time last year some people was saying we really like CJ Henderson from Florida that went to Jacksonville. I hope that’s all it is, just talk.

I didn't LOVE Burns (largely because of Everette).  But I didn't hate the pick.   Probably would have to go back to the Dom Capers era to find a first rounder I disliked as much as Horn at #8. 

• Flames 1

Just now, trueblade said:

If he doesn't pan out, it isn't, well darn, he didn't pan out. you're out the draft resources you spent and you've wasted a year, and you've potentially let a QB who would have panned out go to another team and you can watch him win in the playoffs while the Panthers sit home in January (again).

Every fan wants sustained success. The fastest path there is a true franchise QB. If the team believes Justin Fields can be a true franchise QB, they should select him at #8, regardless of who else is on the roster. Let Rhule and Brady figure out the reps in training camp.

So again, whatever quarterback we'd pick at number eight is guaranteed to be great?

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

If he doesn't pan out, it isn't, well darn, he didn't pan out. you're out the draft resources you spent (edit: to acquire Darnold) and you've wasted a year, and you've potentially let a QB who would have panned out go to another team and you can watch him win in the playoffs while the Panthers sit home in January (again).

Bingo. That's all I'm saying. Darnold should have zero impact on what we do with the 8th overall pick. If we were truly sold on Sam Darnold we wouldn't be stalling on picking up that 5th year option.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Bingo. That's all I'm saying. Darnold should have zero impact on what we do with the 8th overall pick. If we were truly sold on Sam Darnold we wouldn't be stalling on picking up that 5th year option.

Picking up his 5th year option before the draft when we don’t have to makes no sense.

It only further tips their hand that they’re potentially bluffing on drafting a QB at 8

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

So by that logic, we're not sold on DJ Moore either?

Seriously, if we were as iffy on Sam Darnold as you seem to think we are, why the hell did we trade for him at all?

(and no, he isn't a "just in case"; that whole notion is ridiculous)

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Picking up his 5th year option before the draft when we don’t have to makes no sense.

It only further tips their hand that they’re potentially bluffing on drafting a QB at 8

It makes no sense because we're keeping our options open. If they're bluffing they shouldn't have been openly talking about how they planned to pickup the option.