• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For reasons I've already outlined.

You're suggesting the team go ahead and basically supplant the guy they just traded for without even seeing him in action, and this while also bypassing the chance to shore up another spot on a team that has a lot of needs.

I think that'd be a dumbass move.

I disagree.  Look at your stance from a different lens:

What if Darnold ends up sucking and Fields or Lance were there for us to take and turn out great.  Well then, we just lost out on the most important position because we got cute to pick need over BPA.  Yay we have an LT, and yay, we still suck.

It wouldn't be a dumb move, it's the simple notion of taking the guy we covet if he's there at 8.  That may be a QB.

• Pie 1

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

I like Fields and I don't understand the momentum against him but Darnold was a higher graded prospect coming out than anybody in this draft other than Lawrence.

Daniel Jeremiah and others inserted Darnold into this year's draft class and put him only behind Lawrence and Wilson.

• The D 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For reasons I've already outlined.

You're suggesting the team go ahead and basically supplant the guy they just traded for without even seeing him in action, and this while also bypassing the chance to shore up another spot on a team that has a lot of needs.

I think that'd be a dumbass move.

It's a sunk cost. If you bypass what you seem a better option due to the sunk cost of a trade that involved relative peanuts when considering the importance of the QB position, then I think that's peak dumbassery.

We had to strike out several times to arrive at Sam Darnold. We were hell-bent not to roll with Teddy. We did our homework and deemed that the QBs we valued at #8 wouldn't be there so we made what we deemed the best option available for us at the time. If it works out that we were wrong on how the draft board would fall and one of those QBs we did value at #8 is there, he should absolutely still be the pick.

And again, you've already got what basically amounts to a rookie quarterback. Taking another one would be silly.

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it (and have given logical reasons for it). I don't agree as we've discussed. 

The Panthers don't necessarily see things the way either of us do. We'll find out what they think Thursday night.🍻

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, davos said:

I disagree.  Look at your stance from a different lens:

What if Darnold ends up sucking and Fields or Lance were there for us to take and turn out great.  Well then, we just lost out on the most important position because we got cute to pick need over BPA.  Yay we have an LT, and yay, we still suck.

It wouldn't be a dumb move, it's the simple notion of taking the guy we covet if he's there at 8.  That may be a QB.

It may be the guy we take, but yes I still see that as a dumb move.

Darnold may not pan out, but whether he does or not I still think drafting a QB high right now is just a lousy idea.

• Beer 1

Daniel Jeremiah and others inserted Darnold into this year's draft class and put him only behind Lawrence and Wilson.

Somebody's got to explain the Wilson love to me. I don't see it.

(Edit: I have a ton of respect for Jeremiah's evaluations.)

Edited by trueblade

People are acting like we spent 3 first round picks on Darnold. It’s equals a 3rd pick. If we used our third to move up and select Fields or Lance people would be thrilled at how little it cost. If we are lucky and the guy we really like is there at 8, next year’s second shouldn’t stop up from taking him that’s all I’m saying. If we PREFER Darnold over who is there at 8, then everything worked out great.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it (and have given logical reasons for it). I don't agree as we've discussed. 

The Panthers don't necessarily see things the way either of us do. We'll find out what they think Thursday night.🍻

I agree it's an unknown.

Verge doesn't think we take a QB. Other analysts like Jeremy Fowler have said that a lot of the teams around the league don't believe we will either.

I hope they're right, but again nobody knows.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

People are acting like we spent 3 first round picks on Darnold. It’s equals a 3rd pick. If we used our third to move up and select Fields or Lance people would be thrilled at how little it cost. If we are lucky and the guy we really like is there at 8, next year’s second shouldn’t stop up from taking him that’s all I’m saying. If we PREFER Darnold over who is there at 8, then everything worked out great.

How does a 2nd + 4th + 6th + cap room ever equate to a "3rd pick". 🤦‍♀️

In a few days there will be no equivalent to anything.

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Somebody's got to explain the Wilson love to me. I don't see it.

(Edit: I have a ton of respect for Jeremiah's evaluations.)

I get the Wilson love. I just don't necessarily share it. His skill set is phenomenal.

On the flipside though, the durability concerns about him scare the hell out of me.

Part of me is glad that's not a decision we have to make.