• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

5 minutes ago, Verge said:

So I try not to parrot this poo, which is why I don't want to put it out on twitter. I have heard character concerns and processing time. When I put on the tape I think the processing time is just fine, balls can be a little late, but every QB has poo they need to work on. I don't have a real idea on what the character concerns are, I know it stems from Georgia and his teammates. 

That's one thing I can't account for. If we pass on him due to character concerns then so be it.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So by that logic, we're not sold on DJ Moore either?

Seriously, if we were as iffy on Sam Darnold as you seem to think we are, why the hell did we trade for him at all?

(and no, he isn't a "just in case"; that whole notion is ridiculous)

He might not be “just in case” but he might have been the 4th option.

I think we can all agree that the team was determined to move on from Teddy.

1st option was probably Watson

2nd option was probably Stafford

3rd option was probably drafting a guy they really like. None of us know for sure who is on that list of who they really like (for sake of argument let’s say Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields). Maybe once San Fran moved up we came to the realization that the chance of one of the guys we really like being available was very small.

4th option: trade for Darnold

5th option: drafting a guy we aren’t as high on such as possible Jones or Lance

Trading for Datnold shouldn’t prevent you from taking one of your better options if by the small chance they become available.

Would you pass on Trevor if he he fell to 8 or Wilson?

By your logic you would since you spent resources on Darnold.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

That's one thing I can't account for. If we pass on him due to character concerns then so be it.

Plus he is streaky, there are legitimate concerns about Fields beyond character that would drop him below Wilson/Jones/Lance. 

• Pie 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

The seasons that Matt Rhule referred to as his "junior and senior years" which tells me that while he may not be a rookie, that's how the team sees him (and frankly how I think they should).

The good part is that he doesn't have to adjust to the speed of the NFL game like an actual rookie might.

The bad thing is that he had three years to adjust and hasn't. 

2 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

"Processing speed" and vague work ethic questions seem to fit the bill of black quarterback stereotypes

Says you, not me. It also says QB not NFL ready. Are you saying that if a QB is black then he cannot possibly have those traits? To me that sounds racist. I treat everyone the same. Do you?

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Poo 1

11 minutes ago, Verge said:

So I am definitely getting flamed for this, but he reminds me a lot of Daniel Jones. 

2019 or 2020 Jones? If the latter, phew, we dodged a bullet. 

Being the Alabama QB and still managing to get what 2 DUIs is a red alert with me.  Bama cops will do anything to avoid that happening.  The Alabama QB is favored and sheltered more than elected officials down there.  He almost would need to make it their only option remaining to arrest him.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am like you and not really getting into about his back story with georgia but that stuff is out there.  Using racism to transfer and play immediately when you get beaten out is not a good look.

Although it is certainly possible his lawyer at the time was lying, the waiver supposedly did not have anything to do with racism and both he and Fields made public comments about that.

2 minutes ago, Verge said:

Plus he is streaky, there are legitimate concerns about Fields beyond character that would drop him below Wilson/Jones/Lance. 

I still haven't really done any digging on Lance, but I definitely agree on having Fields behind Lawrence and Wilson. I was pounding that Wilson drum back in October.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

That might be the stupidest stat ever. Drafted since 2010? So basically drafted and won a SB in the past 11 years.

Seeing as how 1st round QBs drafted before 2010 won 4 SBs, doesn’t that make you realize that it’s a dumb ass stat. Tom Brady won 4 of the remaining 7. The other 3 were Mahomes, Wilson and Foles who started in place of the MVP front runner Wentz. I love how people act like Wentz sucked. If Foles started all year, they don’t win the SB. Wentz went 11-2 and got Philly the top seed. Foles played very well on a very good team but acting like Wentz didn’t win that year is silly.

So, the only example IMHO of a non-1st round QB drafted since 2010 to win a SB is Wilson. That’s it. As if the non 1st round QBs did phenomenal or something and as if 5 or 6 (if you count Wentz) of the 11 SBs weren’t won by 1st round picks.

If Brady wasn’t Brady, here’s what happens:

8 of 11 won by 1st round QBs

1 of 11 won by backups of 1st round MVP front runners after injured after 13 games

2 won by Russell Wilson, a guy who’s a draft steal like Montana and Brady

Yep, don’t draft a 1st round QB, lol.

It's actually extremely revealing to look at the starting QBs in conference championship games since 2005.  It's 1st rounders galore.

6 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Uh oh. Whenever someone say this you just know that's exactly what they are going to do. 

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

I think it does probably have a little to do with race, and that's pretty sad. Things that teams would overlook with a white QB that do not get overlooked with Fields. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, Panthers Rhule said:

Says you, not me. It also says QB not NFL ready. Are you saying that if a QB is black then he cannot possibly have those traits?

No idea how you gathered that from what I posted

People can ask the question, "Why is this dude who was right behind Trevor Lawrence his entire college career  and and outplayed him at points now suddenly mysteriously falling down every popular draft board, overtaken by a BYU QB, and suddenly getting compared to regrettable busts like EJ Manuel?" I mean we already know OSUs offense does nothing for QBs being projected to the pros but sheesh. 

That's weird to a lot of folks and people are curious why. That's not playing the dreaded race card, it's a fair question. 

10 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I guess I am just not impressed by him.

I'm not a fan of Jones, and when he started getting mocked to the Panthers I tried to think of ways I could get on board with it, but I just couldn't.

I'll grant that he's superintelligent and is said to be able to fully grasp complex systems. That's cool. I still don't know that he'll be a great player though.

If I were making a prediction, it'd probably be that he'll be one of those marginal players who later turns into a good coach.

2 minutes ago, davos said:

2019 or 2020 Jones? If the latter, phew, we dodged a bullet. 

Being the Alabama QB and still managing to get what 2 DUIs is a red alert with me.  Bama cops will do anything to avoid that happening.  The Alabama QB is favored and sheltered more than elected officials down there.  He almost would need to make it their only option remaining to arrest him.

The college prospect from Duke. They grade similarly as prospects. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Verge said:

I think it does probably have a little to do with race, and that's pretty sad. Things that teams would overlook with a white QB that do not get overlooked with Fields. 

Thats ridiculous.  The tape is the tape.  People are not going to bump him for being black come on now.  If that was the case why is Trey Lance in the running for pick 3 and he is far less talented than Fields.  Lets not do this