• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

1 minute ago, ImaginaryKev said:

No idea how you gathered that from what I posted

People can ask the question, "Why is this dude who was right behind Trevor Lawrence his entire college career  and and outplayed him at points now suddenly mysteriously falling down every popular draft board, overtaken by a BYU QB, and suddenly getting compared to regrettable busts like EJ Manuel?" I mean we already know OSUs offense does nothing for QBs being projected to the pros but sheesh. 

That's weird to a lot of folks and people are curious why. That's not playing the dreaded race card, it's a fair question. 

Just get ready if we end up drafting him how much this fanbase is gonna poo all over him any chance they get. 

1 minute ago, ImaginaryKev said:

No idea how you gathered that from what I posted

People can ask the question, "Why is this dude who was right behind Trevor Lawrence his entire college career  and and outplayed him at points now suddenly mysteriously falling down every popular draft board, overtaken by a BYU QB, and suddenly getting compared to regrettable busts like EJ Manuel?" I mean we already know OSUs offense does nothing for QBs being projected to the pros but sheesh. 

That's weird to a lot of folks and people are curious why. That's not playing the dreaded race card, it's a fair question. 

I posted above as to why . It has nothing to do with race.  People started digging into his film particularly NW and Indy and saw how he played.  He has issues but everyone else not named Trevor does as well. 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats ridiculous.  The tape is the tape.  People are not going to bump him for being black come on now.  If that was the case why is Trey Lance in the running for pick 3 and he is far less talented than Fields.  Lets not do this

I think we kind of have to do this. It isn't intentional racism, but it's still that. A stereotype of the position. Mac Jones' DUIs do not get criticized in the same way that Fields' off the field stuff does. Fields' processing time becomes a question of "football intelligence" when that label is rarely if ever given to white QBs. Here is my controversial take before I drop this and go eat lunch. Sam Darnold would not be in the NFL right now given his past couple years of play if he was not white. 

Edited by Verge
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You talked about passing on a quarterback who would have been good. That's not guaranteed.

If you take a first round quarterback and Darnold turns out good, you've wasted a number eight overall pick on a backup when you could have solidified another starting position.

If you take a first round quarterback and he's not good, you've screwed yourself out of two positions.

I too want a LT (Sewell all day everyday) but it’s also no guarantee he’s going to be good either. If the team sees a QB fall that they believe can be THE guy you kinda have to do it.

I’m not advocating for drafting a quarterback just because he’s a quarterback if you have others higher on your draft board but I think it’s absolutely fair for some on the board to be in favor of drafting a QB at 8. Once again I want Sewell or a premier LT just like you but if you believe a Fields or a Lance is the guy and they drop you make that pick imho.

Edited by CashNewton22

It's odd to me to think that the Fields concerns are based on racism when one of the guys who has evidently leap frogged him is another black QB who has played the weakest college competition of all the top prospects with probably the second best comparative supporting cast vs. his opponents' and who pretty much looked like The Golden Calf of Bristol the last time we saw him on a college field. Just saying...

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Verge said:

I think we kind of have to do this. It isn't intentional racism, but it's still that. A stereotype of the position. Mac Jones' DUIs do not get criticized in the same way that Fields' off the field stuff does. Fields' processing time becomes a question of "football intelligence" when that label is rarely if ever given to white QBs. Here is my controversial take before I drop this and go eat lunch. Sam Darnold would not be in the NFL right now given his past couple years of play if he was not white. 

A DUI is totally different than a scout or analyst or whoever saying Fields has slow processing time.  Its comparing apples to diving boards.

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

"Processing speed" and vague work ethic questions seem to fit the bill of black quarterback stereotypes

processing speed, vague work ethic questions, and "character concerns" spoken in hushed tones about some incidents at a previous school he attended?  where have we heard this story before??

I'm surprised Fields is considered streakier than the other non-Lawrence QBs given he's had fewer bad games than most of the non-Lance QBs.  And I would take Fields' 2019 over Lance's 2019 given competition etc anyway.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It's odd to me to think that the Fields concerns are based on racism when one of the guys who has evidently leap frogged him is another black QB who has played the weakest college competition of all the top prospects with probably the second best comparative supporting cast vs. his opponents' and who pretty much looked like The Golden Calf of Bristol the last time we saw him on a college field. Just saying...

Based in, not on. Not the only reason as well. You can call it what you want, but we see it every year. 

• Pie 1