• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

7 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I understand these as real issues but the reason I'm questioning the sources is because people are saying "there's QUESTIONS" then we wonder what they are folks are like "I don't wanna get into it" lol

Just seems weird, is all. I don't think he's perfect but he tested well and he outplayed Trevor Lawrence last time they faced off, you'd think the types who gravitate towards being clutch and having football intangibles would make more a fuss over his drop down boards and back him as a possible number 2 pick. Just feels weird. I'm interested to see if he pans out just because his pre-draft has been so strange. 

Here's the thing when it comes to this stuff.

He's been high on your draft board, Bucky Brooks, and every other person who has absolutely no say in what actually happens in the draft.  Fields could be low on every teams draft boards and the media wouldn't know it until things start slipping out...so maybe Zach wasn't a 3rd rounder, and Justin the number 2 overall like many were EXPECTING him to be?

Mel Kipers mock draft means nothing, teams boards do, what you are seeing and hearing is the talking heads are finally getting more info...and we are confused by the shift.

4 minutes ago, Verge said:

This thread has definitely gone off course lol 

You forget where you're posting? 😄

I don't give a flaming rat's ass what color a guy's skin is. I do have a preference for quarterbacks whose primary characteristics are more mental than physical (accuracy, decision making, ability to read defenses, etc).

There may be a perception that those characteristics are more inclined to one race over the other, but there shouldn't be.

Heck, one of the prime examples of that would be our own starting quarterback last year.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Now do Trey Lance.

Trey Lance is the wildcard that messes up the narrative entirely lol. 

Maybe it is more about Justin Fields not mimicking a successful QB for all these GMs to make themselves feel good.   Everyone cherry picks Wilson's odd throws and starts talking about Mahomes.  That's a Mahomes throw! Lance gets the Josh Allen talk/love.  Mac gets Brady.  See!  accurate dad bods that play in a system win!! Trevor gets all the textbook robots of Luck, Peyton, etc. 

Fields doesn't have that QB for them do to do that with. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Trey Lance hype seems crazy to me, dude has like 300 college pass attempts despite the great tools and isn't accurate, would not touch him in the first

I was super intrigued by him. Then I watched that game this spring. I get that it was not an ideal situation with COVID and him only appearing in one game. But, damn. That really looked like a poor man's The Golden Calf of Bristol. Admittedly, that's why I didn't even bother digging into him more. If there had been more smoke about the Panthers being interested I would have but absent that smoke I just didn't care enough to do it 

7 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Trey Lance hype seems crazy to me, dude has like 300 college pass attempts despite the great tools and isn't accurate, would not touch him in the first

I’m biased because he’s a Midwest  guy and I live in the Midwest. His traits are super great but yeah I’m not blind that he needs to sit and learn for a year or two. I’d take him if we traded back into the teens and he was there.

Edited by TheRumGone

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Obviously if Sewell is not there you want to trade down, but you need a partner with good enough compensation to do that, easier said than done. Horn fits the grade at 8 so I imagine they feel comfortable enough to take him there if they have to.

If Sewell falls past Cincinnati.  There’s a good possibility he is there at 8 for us.

I have a strong sense Detroit moves down.  With NE offering Gilmore,  you could see Detroit taking that plus a pick next year.   CB is still a big need there and having the vet Gilmore helping the young talented Okudah (who struggled last year) is even more enticing now to Detroit

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Here's the thing when it comes to this stuff.

He's been high on your draft board, Bucky Brooks, and every other person who has absolutely no say in what actually happens in the draft.  Fields could be low on every teams draft boards and the media wouldn't know it until things start slipping out...so maybe Zach wasn't a 3rd rounder, and Justin the number 2 overall like many were EXPECTING him to be?

Mel Kipers mock draft means nothing, teams boards do, what you are seeing and hearing is the talking heads are finally getting more info...and we are confused by the shift.

This is kind of important.

Outside of what we get from Verge, pretty much everything that we get comes from media analysts. Granted, some of them have inside sources (Albert Breer is pretty good on that front) but teams are very protective of their draft boards and bullsh-t flows freely.

We're all speculating. Nobody really knows.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was super intrigued by him. Then I watched that game this spring. I get that it was not an ideal situation with COVID and him only appearing in one game. But, damn. That really looked like a poor man's The Golden Calf of Bristol. Admittedly, that's why I didn't even bother digging into him more. If there had been more smoke about the Panthers being interested I would have but absent that smoke I just didn't care enough to do it 

There's not much to watch, he barely threw the ball in college lol

I get that teams are thirsty for QBs with movement skills these days buy y I k e s. I don't think you can justify drafting that guy top ten bc he's barely played and his accuracy is bad. That just seems like Mark Sanchez waiting to happen. 

• Pie 2

Just now, ncfan said:

If Sewell falls past Cincinnati.  There’s a good possibility he is there at 8 for us.

I have a strong sense Detroit moves down.  With NE offering Gilmore,  you could see Detroit taking that plus a pick next year.   CB is still a big need there and having the vet Gilmore helping the young talented Okudah (who struggled last year) is even more enticing now to Detroit

Trust me, there is nothing I would love more than to have Sewell fall to us. (Beyond Lawrence/Wilson magically falling to 8.)

• Pie 1