• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Trey Lance is the wildcard that messes up the narrative entirely lol. 

Maybe it is more about Justin Fields not mimicking a successful QB for all these GMs to make themselves feel good.   Everyone cherry picks his odd throws and starts talking about Mahomes.  Lance gets the Josh Allen talk.  Mac gets Brady.  Trevor gets all the textbook robots of Luck, Peyton, etc. 

Fields doesn't have that QB for them do to do that with. 

I mean, potential off field issues and "processing issues" aside, Shanny sarcastically talked about everyone wanting a guy who can move like Lamar Jackson and throw like Drew Brees... hell, Justin Fields might be the closest to that I've seen. No, he can't quite move like Lamar or throw like Brees, but damn if he can't do both a helluva lit better than most.

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m biased because he’s a Midwest and I live in the Midwest. His traits are super great but yeah I’m not blind that he needs to sit and learn for a year or two. I’d take him if we traded back into the teens and he was there.

I think if we drafted Fields he'd win people over here quickly and it wouldn't be quite the same as Cam despite the usual suspects lurking. And as for Lance, i think physically he's Steve McNair but the lack of playing time is a huge red flag. I don't doubt he's smart and high character, the inexperience just feels like a deal breaker. 

Mac Jones
Cons
Stationary QB in a Mobile QB world
Weaker Arm
Talent pretty difficult to evaluate due to high reliance on RP0s, Screens, Play Action (58% of total plays, 3rd in NCAAF)
Threw to the 2nd most open receivers while having a below average pressure rate.

Pros
High On Target rate
Great Time to Throw rate

If you need a guy that can quickly throw the ball to the center of the field.  Mac Jones is your guy.  May struggle throwing it deep, or to the wide end of the field.  May need time adjusting throwing to receivers in coverage.  But generally avoids mistakes, and gets the ball out quickly.

3 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I think if we drafted Fields he'd win people over here quickly and it wouldn't be quite the same as Cam despite the usual suspects lurking. And as for Lance, i think physically he's Steve McNair but the lack of playing time is a huge red flag. I don't doubt he's smart and high character, the inexperience just feels like a deal breaker. 

A lot of people feel he is the smartest QB in the class, and the most physically gifted outside of Lawrence. 

1 minute ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Lol i mean I'm not a hater, just got some concerns. Sanchez was the guy I remember Pete Caroll not supporting him entering the draft bc of lack of starts and that's why I thought of him. 

Yeah I get it. I’ve always said that if Lance goes to a strong franchise and is given time to sit and learn he has big time potential to be a star. Like if the 49ers draft him #3 that is the perfect place for him. Sit behind jimmy G with a great team around him.

1 minute ago, Verge said:

Yeah probably.

I was reading somewhere (I'll try to find the link) that his injury involves nerve damage, numbness, and could possibly recur. That just seems radioactive to me, wouldn't touch him in this first but hope he recovers and pans out bc his talent is thru the roof 

Edited by ImaginaryKev